Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 20, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #3,017 of 6,302
Yup they are not big but I would not go to calling them tiny. 
biggrin.gif
 Congrats on your new pair of cans!

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #3,018 of 6,302
Yup they are not big but I would not go to calling them tiny. :D  Congrats on your new pair of cans!

Compared to my hifimans, they are tiny lol.

Unfortunately only get a week with them, though I may purchase myself a pair depending on how I feel about them after my weeks up.

I'll write up a short review on these too.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,019 of 6,302
I see now where you are coming from. 
biggrin.gif

Will be waiting for your review. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #3,020 of 6,302
I've completed an extended trial of the PM-3's and I was hoping they would be my "go-to" phones for travel when I didn't want to wear an IEM.  Unfortunately, they are not my cup of tea.

The build and comfort is excellent, and they have the decent detail and neutral tonal balance as I've heard described.  The isolation is also better than any of my non-iem cans.  However, I could not get past the narrow soundstage that is MUCH smaller than all of my closed headphones.  They sounded so closed-in compared to my AT W1000X and even the ESW9 / ESW9LTD that I couldn't get past that shortfall.  I also found them to be a little too dry and boring sounding even with good amping.

Kudos to Oppo for doing so many things right with this headphone, it will be hard to return these just for the build/comfort/isolation that they provide.  I hope other companies are paying attention to this design.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #3,021 of 6,302
So far I'm liking the Pm-3.  The closed nature is taking some time to get used too, as I almost exclusively use open back headphones.  I have a Pro 80 but rarely use it.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,023 of 6,302
PM3 are the best portable cans in my view. Sound good, look great and they are small enough to pack anywhere. The simple thought I can walk around with planar magnetic membranes strapped to my head is ridiculously delicious. Add to those the Mojo and I would challenge anyone to show me a better sounding mobile rig than that (high end CIEMs excluded)

Dec 22, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #3,024 of 6,302
PM3 are the best portable cans in my view. Sound good, look great and they are small enough to pack anywhere. The simple thought I can walk around with planar magnetic membranes strapped to my head is ridiculously delicious. Add to those the Mojo and I would challenge anyone to show me a better sounding mobile rig than that (high end CIEMs excluded)

I am using the same combo for almost 2 months now. Previously, my PM-3 was paired with Theorem 720 balanced which is another good pairing.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #3,027 of 6,302
  Someone posted the other day, that the PM-3's were "tiny". Are these classed as "on ear" or "over ear" headphones ?

That was me!  They are tiny compared to the large headphones I'm used to like Hifimans lineup.  They are "over ear".  However, they are small, so someone with larger ears would probably classify these as a hybrid "on ear/over ear".  I have smaller ears, so they fit snug inside the earpads, however the foam covering the driver is sitting right on my ear.  The pads are very soft and comfy, though YMMV of course.

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,028 of 6,302

That was me!  They are tiny compared to the large headphones I'm used to like Hifimans lineup.  They are "over ear".  However, they are small, so someone with larger ears would probably classify these as a hybrid "on ear/over ear".  I have smaller ears, so they fit snug inside the earpads, however the foam covering the driver is sitting right on my ear.  The pads are very soft and comfy, though YMMV of course.

Thanks for your feedback. I get the impression they may be similar in size to my Sony MDR-1RNC headphones ? They feel somewhere between on ear & over ear, could do with being bigger, for a more comfortable fit.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #3,029 of 6,302
Sony cans don't need bigger pads but thicker ones. I would say that PM3 have smaller pads than Sony but they feel comfortable because the inside parts touching your ears slightly are so soft. Not the case with Sony, so I had to change the pads with thicker ones.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,030 of 6,302
Sony cans don't need bigger pads but thicker ones. I would say that PM3 have smaller pads than Sony but they feel comfortable because the inside parts touching your ears slightly are so soft. Not the case with Sony, so I had to change the pads with thicker ones.

+1
The inside foam is very soft.  They don't irritate my ears at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back