Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 24, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,033 of 6,302
about PM3 and Mojo:

To finish up a popped on a pair of more moderately priced Oppo PM-3 headphones, and checked out Elliot Smith's "XO" album. The clarity and dynamic contrasts of his mostly acoustic music were thrilling. With St. Germain "Boulevard" CD the low bass wallop and definition were outstanding.

http://www.cnet.com/news/chord-mojo-maximum-sound-quality-from-a-tiny-digital-converterheadphone-amplifier/

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #3,034 of 6,302
I received my Oppo yesterday. 

Impressive in all regards. 

Sound quality and sound signature match my tastes very well!

Also this headphone is very well built, very comfy too and the isolation is outstanding (works better than my iems)

Only the soundstage seems to be a little narrow; but that' doesn't matter for me since I've always been used to closed headphones and iems.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #3,035 of 6,302
  I received my Oppo yesterday. 

Impressive in all regards. 

Sound quality and sound signature match my tastes very well!

Also this headphone is very well built, very comfy too and the isolation is outstanding (works better than my iems)

Only the soundstage seems to be a little narrow; but that' doesn't matter for me since I've always been used to closed headphones and iems.

+1
although I have different experiences with mine on a daily basis - sometimes they sound SO superbly balanced and just do everything 'right'. Other times they seem a bit lacking. They dont suite me 100% in terms of vinyl rips as both as warmer but with other audio they really shine - literally speaking!
Although that fact that I am a 'detail head' and yet Love these cans says a lot
For me 120 hours burn in changed the signature a lot - the bass is a lot tamer and well behaved now - it sits in its own corner doing its own thing which it should do.
Out of the box I found it creeping over the over all sound often, like a sneaky ground fog - now there is a descent space between the low/mids/highs. 
It seems to me one of those cans that. when the synergy is right between the player & the recording, magic happens
Sometimes the soundstage has been really wide...but only with the certain tracks
In a nut shell, Im happy to stay with these as my closed can set - Cant wait to travel with them :) 

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #3,036 of 6,302
Yeah, while my ideal sound curve is a bit more of a traditional mid-scoop (bit more bottom & top-end, but I LOVE the vocal response), I do think the general balance of these phones is spot on, and wouldn't want anything radically different if Oppo decides to revise this line in the future. Now, if they can figure out how to make an open-back version that has that sweetness at the top & bottom-end, that might be my ultimate pair of cans. Or, is that essentially what the PM-2 is?...

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,038 of 6,302
i've had the materials for a while now, but finally found some time to build it. 1/8" trrs to 4-pin XLR so i can use it on my desktop dac/amp. sounds pretty good...mostly b/c the balanced output on my amp is better than the SE output. used BTG's wire, which is my favorite price to performance DIY cable...the 1/8" trrs plug bought on ebay from a chinese vendor.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #3,039 of 6,302
  i've had the materials for a while now, but finally found some time to build it. 1/8" trrs to 4-pin XLR so i can use it on my desktop dac/amp. sounds pretty good...mostly b/c the balanced output on my amp is better than the SE output. used BTG's wire, which is my favorite price to performance DIY cable...the 1/8" trrs plug bought on ebay from a chinese vendor.

Very nice!

I have been using mine with the Theorem 720 balanced and I thought it suited the PM-3 well, a bit more spacious and tighter bass.

It's only when I got myself a Mojo Jojo the Theorem had to share the time with my PM-3. I like using both DAC/amps with the PM-3.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,042 of 6,302
I have audiophile leanings and over the years have built up a nice music room.  I've never worn head phones much, but decided to buy a pair of good closed back HPs for my daughter.  After a couple weeks of research and reading here I've just ordered the Oppo PM-3.  She's going to UCLA so I've chosen the blue model.  So, after all my reading I must have missed this tidbit in the specs...

320 g (Black/White), 310 g (Cherry Red/Steel Blue)

There's a difference in weight? Because of the color?

I hope that doesn't affect the sound quality (lol but if there's one thing I"ve learned in all these years of audionervocia... everything makes a difference.)

Also,
What's a good limited space college student headphone stand for the pm-3.
What's a good hardcase carrying case for the pm-3... dunno if that canvas bag is going to protect it well.
Got her the OPPO PM-3 1.2 meter cable with mic and control option...
What is a decent inexpensive 1.2 meter wire I can order on line without mic/vol stuff?

Well at least I have gifts covered for a year or so as we change out the wire and get her an amp...

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #3,043 of 6,302
Cant answer the weight thing. Never noticed that.

I think the Denim case is rather good. its not 'soft' like a bag, it is relatively stiff.

If our daughter is a hard core audiophile that would not use it with her phone, the after market cable may be cool, but if she is going to plug it into her phone, then the standard cable with mic is fine. there were some posts some pages back about some silver coated copper wire on ebay that has been given some decent praise, but I cant say much about those sound wise. I bought a cable from Surf Cable that I use that I like. It was a custom cable and all you have to do is ask the maker.

D

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #3,044 of 6,302
I have audiophile leanings and over the years have built up a nice music room.  I've never worn head phones much, but decided to buy a pair of good closed back HPs for my daughter.  After a couple weeks of research and reading here I've just ordered the Oppo PM-3.  She's going to UCLA so I've chosen the blue model.  So, after all my reading I must have missed this tidbit in the specs...

I hope that doesn't affect the sound quality (lol but if there's one thing I"ve learned in all these years of audionervocia... everything makes a difference.)

Also,
What's a good hardcase carrying case for the pm-3... dunno if that canvas bag is going to protect it well.
What is a decent inexpensive 1.2 meter wire I can order on line without mic/vol stuff?

Well at least I have gifts covered for a year or so as we change out the wire and get her an amp...

The hardcase that comes with them is fine. In regards to the weight the only physical difference i see between them is the headband, I guess the different construction is a bit lighter.

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,045 of 6,302

Also,

The denim carry case is plenty. Get a headphone stand from this canadian company. Beautiful headphone stands that have a Sieveking feel; madco.ca

The headband internal structure is likely different. The wright difference is likely due to plastic vs metal in the headband. Otherwise this should not affect audio quality. They are a wonderful set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back