Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Dec 13, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,001 of 6,302
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply!

I am looking for a planar that is not so hard to drive and under $800.
My last HP was the Senn HD600. I like neutral-balanced sound but cant stand sibilance

People who have heard both seem to think the 400i is a better treble and bass extended HD600 so that may work for you. Sibilance is actually in the source material, but very treble focused headphones will reveal it more. I don't think the 400i is sibilant per say, at least I haven't heard it being so myself, nor have I read about people saying it was sibilant.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #3,004 of 6,302
I bought PM-2, it'll arrive at my house on Tuesday probably. I'll compare it to PM-3 when it does.

Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the PM2, I have always thought about it. On another note, you really have me thinking about getting the Chord Mojo, I was trying to tell myself I don't need it. I did have it for a week last month and it was great, Im making myself think that the HA2 is "good enough".

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #3,005 of 6,302

I bought PM-2, it'll arrive at my house on Tuesday probably. I'll compare it to PM-3 when it does.

Cant wait to hear your thoughts on the PM2, I have always thought about it. On another note, you really have me thinking about getting the Chord Mojo, I was trying to tell myself I don't need it. I did have it for a week last month and it was great, Im making myself think that the HA2 is "good enough".

Mojo is amazing, I haven't heard anything as good as it is up to 1000 pounds. I'm sure HA-2 is good too but Sabre dacs tend to sound digital in my opinion and Mojo's greatest strength is its natural sound and superb timing. It goes really well with fast transients of planar magnetic headphones. It's the best all-in-one on the market right now when you consider price/value ratio (high-end sound on a budget) and unless you have very hard to drive headphones like HE-6, you don't need to spend another dollar for amps or dacs. I know this might sound a bit like an advertisement, but I just love Mojo. It's an amazing little device.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #3,006 of 6,302

Mojo is amazing, I haven't heard anything as good as it is up to 1000 pounds. I'm sure HA-2 is good too but Sabre dacs tend to sound digital in my opinion and Mojo's greatest strength is its natural sound and superb timing. It goes really well with fast transients of planar magnetic headphones. It's the best all-in-one on the market right now when you consider price/value ratio (high-end sound on a budget) and unless you have very hard to drive headphones like HE-6, you don't need to spend another dollar for amps or dacs. I know this might sound a bit like an advertisement, but I just love Mojo. It's an amazing little device.

I would love to see Chord hop onto the DAP bandwagon.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #3,008 of 6,302
After using the headphones for the past two months now, I am quite pleased with their performance.

I now want to try a couple of cables to see how they enhance the sound.

So what is the majority rule on what to try? If I can, I would like to stick with in the USA orders only.

A few suggestion here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
David

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #3,009 of 6,302
After using the headphones for the past two months now, I am quite pleased with their performance.

So what is the majority rule on what to try? If I can, I would like to stick with in the USA orders only.

Thanks
David

I just got a Forza Audio Cable today actually, It is the Clair MK2, They are a great cable but they are from Poland.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #3,010 of 6,302

Thanks
David

I highly recommend @plussoundaudio. Christian is an absolute gem to work with, his products are phenominal, and his diy selection is far beyond what any other cable manufacturer can provide!
I have done all my diy with him, and I van truly say that I respect what christian has done with his company plussoundaudio. Hes in the US.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,012 of 6,302
Dec 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #3,013 of 6,302
PM-2 and PM-3 clearly share the same sound signature. However, I would say PM-2 deserves the price difference if you're not going to use them in public. If, like me, you'll be using them at hotels and such, PM-2s are the way to go. PM-2 bag is about the same size as PM-3 bag. Bass extension and slam is better due to bigger drivers. There's more air and bigger soundstage compared to PM-3, but it's not huge like Fidelio X2's soundstage for instance. Imaging is superb however. Even though I liked PM-3's treble because I'm sensitive to high frequencies, I'm really enjoying the extra treble PM-2 has compared to PM-3. Cymbals etc. are livelier and sound more lifelike but highs are still non-fatiguing. Also there's considerably more resolution and detail retrieval with PM-2s. Extra treble brings out some fine details in the music. I've bought PM-1 original leather pads that's supposed to make the sound even better.

I've sold PM-3s to someone, will post them to him tomorrow. I use IEMs (Earsonics Velvet) on the go, and PM-2s are as easy to carry as PM-3 with its bag so I haven't a use for PM-3s anymore. I'll buy Fostex TH-X00 instead for basshead purposes.

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #3,014 of 6,302
  PM-2 and PM-3 clearly share the same sound signature. However, I would say PM-2 deserves the price difference if you're not going to use them in public. If, like me, you'll be using them at hotels and such, PM-2s are the way to go. PM-2 bag is about the same size as PM-3 bag. Bass extension and slam is better due to bigger drivers. There's more air and bigger soundstage compared to PM-3, but it's not huge like Fidelio X2's soundstage for instance. Imaging is superb however. Even though I liked PM-3's treble because I'm sensitive to high frequencies, I'm really enjoying the extra treble PM-2 has compared to PM-3. Cymbals etc. are livelier and sound more lifelike but highs are still non-fatiguing. Also there's considerably more resolution and detail retrieval with PM-2s. Extra treble brings out some fine details in the music. I've bought PM-1 original leather pads that's supposed to make the sound even better.

I've sold PM-3s to someone, will post them to him tomorrow. I use IEMs (Earsonics Velvet) on the go, and PM-2s are as easy to carry as PM-3 with its bag so I haven't a use for PM-3s anymore. I'll buy Fostex TH-X00 instead for basshead purposes.

I think you'll really like the xoo's. Unless you can find it used, the next drop should be in Feb.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #3,015 of 6,302
Just got my loaners.  First impression as I pulled them out of the box was "Wow these are tiny!".  I know these are supposed to be portable, but I wasn't expecting them to be this small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back