Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Oct 7, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #2,582 of 6,302
You can always replace just the earpads with the standard black ones. We designed the earpads to be replaceable for maintenance, and in order to "maintain your preference", it would be possible to install black earpads on the Cherry Red and Steel Blue headphones. Replacement earpads (sold in pairs) are $39.00 for the PM-3.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #2,583 of 6,302

You can always replace just the earpads with the standard black ones. We designed the earpads to be replaceable for maintenance, and in order to "maintain your preference", it would be possible to install black earpads on the Cherry Red and Steel Blue headphones. Replacement earpads (sold in pairs) are $39.00 for the PM-3.

Thanks for the tip but everybody keeps saying that rolling earpads on the PM3 is quite a gamble and requires sending it back to Oppo for RMA, would you have any guide to this please?

And while we're at it, can spare replacement drivers be bought separately?

Thanks,

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #2,584 of 6,302

Thanks for the tip but everybody keeps saying that rolling earpads on the PM3 is quite a gamble and requires sending it back to Oppo for RMA, would you have any guide to this please?

And while we're at it, can spare replacement drivers be bought separately?

Thanks,

A guide to removing the earpads safely would be great, I second this!

My earpads have warped out of shape after using the headphones so much so I'd love to buy some replacements for them just as some extra security but it's useless unless I can attach them safely.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #2,585 of 6,302
A guide is something we can consider, and we could also consider that we have headphones returned to us so that we do the replacement. In the later case, we will likely just require the shipping to us (we have done similar things when customers want their DVD/Blu-ray players cleaned), so I would not be surprised if we offer a similar solution for customers who need replacement earpads or want to change their earpads with an alternative color.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #2,587 of 6,302
  What about larger pads?

Yes, larger "bass plus pads" would be awesome. 
smile.gif
 Instant buy.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #2,588 of 6,302
  A guide is something we can consider, and we could also consider that we have headphones returned to us so that we do the replacement. In the later case, we will likely just require the shipping to us (we have done similar things when customers want their DVD/Blu-ray players cleaned), so I would not be surprised if we offer a similar solution for customers who need replacement earpads or want to change their earpads with an alternative color.

Is there an oppo store in australia that would do earpad replacements? Because sending my headphones all the way to america or europe just isn't worth it imo.

Oct 9, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,589 of 6,302

OK thank you for the confirmation that it's not nearly that simple to roll PM3 earpads for some reason.

Can spare PM3 replacement drivers be bought separately?

Thanks,

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #2,590 of 6,302
  What about larger pads?

No plans. Just like the PM-1/2, the earpads shape a lot of the acoustics. So changing factors, such as size, will require a lot of re-engineering of the components to make the headphones sounds the same as with the stock pads.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #2,591 of 6,302
Oct 9, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #2,592 of 6,302

Can spare PM3 replacement drivers be bought separately?

Unfortunately no. The drivers need to be matched pairs, so it would be more efficient to have us replace both drivers, than to have the customer try to replace them themselves. There are no plans to allow customer to replace their drivers for any of our planar magnetic line of headphones.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #2,593 of 6,302
  Unfortunately no. The drivers need to be matched pairs, so it would be more efficient to have us replace both drivers, than to have the customer try to replace them themselves. There are no plans to allow customer to replace their drivers for any of our planar magnetic line of headphones.

OK that's too bad, you can buy spare HD800 drivers so I don't see why not: http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/official-sennheiser-hd800-replacement-ear-capsule-each.html

It's possible for most major headphones such as the TOTL JVC's and so on.

Sell them as a matched pair for $150/200 and I'll happily buy them. Would both be useful to PM3 buyers once warranty will be expired and the DIY crowd: http://www.head-fi.org/t/724607/genuine-sennheiser-hd800-drivers-pair-bought-from-custom-cable-uk

So basically the PM3 is a take-it-or-leave-it kinda deal.....can't roll earpads(a game we all enjoy here on headfi), stock ones seem quite narrow for that matter......and ortho lovers like to mess with cup damping which isn't possible either because earpads are nearly impossible to get off without breaking anything apparently
confused_face(1).gif
....and to top it off you refuse to sell spare drivers too, as I'd very much fancy transplanting them into wooden cups myself.

I'm very impressed by the R&D that went into your ortho drivers but being a member of team "unmodified = not worth listening to", I feel quite frustated tbh.

Sending back a phone for RMA to have its earpads rolled is quite a lot to ask IMO, at least a guide would help.

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #2,594 of 6,302
To be honest, we can repair the headphones cheaper than having the customer pay for the replacement part. For example, a BDP-83 was sold for $499 when it was released. If a customer has an issue with the player, they pay an Out of Warranty Repair of $79.00 plus the shipping to us. This fee covers all parts, labor, and return shipping back to the customer.

A replacement loader would be $105.00, a replacement mainboard would be $199.00. As you can see, shipping the product to us is either close to, or tremendously cheaper than the individual component.

You will see a similar opportunity for our headphones after the initial warranty has expired. I will guarantee that the repairs we do to the drivers will be cheaper than us sending replacement drivers to you.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,595 of 6,302
I'm thinking he was meaning driver availability for custom projects, I would assume waiving any warranty on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back