Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
May 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #1,501 of 6,302
out of context. I was simply poking the Iriver advocates.
The x5 has been one of the most cost effective players out there. It drives the pm-3 very well in the lo-gain mode. The price of some of these cables just drives me crazy. For fun, look at the description Schiit has on their interconnects.

here's to "SuperUltraHyperTechnology"

jhv :beerchug:

May 5, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,502 of 6,302
The X5 hits way above it's price.  I just spent a week with the PM-3s and it was great with them.  Going to cost me either a PM-3 or PM-2.  I also use the line-out to drive powered speakers and I have fed my sort of high-end HT system with it and can't say I noticed much of a difference from my $7500 Denon AVP-A1HD processor (of course it's 10 year old technology).  Yes, I have heard better systems but not for the price of an X5.

May 5, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,503 of 6,302
I find it really weird that the PM-3's soundstage per se isn't very large, but its imaging and instrument separation are amongst the best of what I've heard in a closed-back headphone.

The closest that I can get to describing the PM-3s from an imaging and instrument separation standpoint is that the sounds feel more "etched" on the PM-3 than on other headphones.

May 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,505 of 6,302

Oppo pm-3 with forza audio cable & fiio x1
Incredible
smily_headphones1.gif

Very nice looking cable.

May 6, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #1,506 of 6,302
I still can't believe how good the PM-3 sounds out of the RWAK100 -> Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MkII. I use it at work, but its feels like I'm listening to a home rig. 

May 6, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #1,507 of 6,302
The PM-3 sounds good enough out of an iPhone that I have parted with all my portable amps and dacs.  It's nice to simplify. 

Edit - @robm321  This is a comment on the PM-3. I reread it, and it sort of sounds like a slam to your post.  It isn't.  I love a good portable rig (and I bet yours sounds awesome!). I've just gotten to the point for myself that fewer moving parts are better, and the PM-3 sounds good enough out of an iPhone to allow me to eliminate a couple of moving parts.

May 7, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #1,511 of 6,302
After going blind reading reviews of semi-portable closed phones to use with my new Pono player, I settled on the PM-3's (nowhere to audition anything decent in town). Unfortunately I won't be able to really audition them on my main rig versus the HD650's I have since the WA-2 is OTL and probably doesn't play well with the low impedance PM-3's. I was going to go for the HP50's, but I have a large hat size and was put off by the comments about comfort/fit on large heads. I'm also really curious about planars (considering PM-1's for the home system).

Keith

May 7, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,512 of 6,302
^ Ortho/isodynamics aren't affected like dynamics tend to be. Their impedance curves stay relatively flat because they are seen as a purely resistive load.

Think about trying them out on that vs the 650 and check in when you do
ph34r.gif

popcorn.gif

May 7, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,513 of 6,302
  ^ Ortho/isodynamics aren't affected like dynamics tend to be. Their impedance curves stay relatively flat because they are seen as a purely resistive load.

Think about trying them out on that vs the 650 and check in when you do
ph34r.gif

popcorn.gif

I think I have pointed out this quality of planars a couple of times already in this very thread. There needs to be some kind of visible sticky note somewhere in all the planar threads about this.

May 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #1,514 of 6,302
If anyone thats driving these from an amp with a 1/4" connection and wants to get extra fancy with their Oppo PM3 i have these FS :) The silver/black should look pretty nice with it. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/765112/5ft-neutrik-trs-3mm-6-3mm-terminated-midnight-black-paracord

Users who are viewing this thread

Back