Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 25, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,058 of 6,302
For the last four days, I’ve been acquainting myself with the PM3. Usually, it doesn’t take me so long to adapt to a new sound-signature, but the PM3 doesn’t sound like any of my other headphones, so I’m struggling with its uniqueness a little.

More precisely put: the PM3 imparts a surprisingly wet and honey-hued sound. Many folks may be tempted to call these headphones “warm,” but I’m tempted to go one step further and say: The PM3 epitomizes warmth.  By contrast, the Focal Spirit Professional sounds lean and bereft of any conspicuous coloring, which I think may make them the more “neutral” headphones. But that’s not to say that the FSP is in any way superior: it’s not.

The PM3’s bass, for example, has much more depth and presence than the FSP’s. Don’t get me wrong: the FSP can deliver an admirable punch, but only when an armed and thuggish recording forces it into action. The PM3, on the other hand, never plays the game of “peek-a-boo” with its bass.  Instead, it delivers a mature and steady bass response, while never sounding “flabby” or “wooly” or in the least bit “loose.”

And perhaps this is why I find the PM3’s sound-signature so alluring and yet so challenging to describe: a prominent low-end will typically penalize a given sound-signature in one darn way or another—usually by mucking up the midrange or repressing the presence of vocals. But the PM3 adroitly avoids all such pitfalls; indeed, its midrange sounds exquisitely linear to my ears, despite its sonorous, and sometimes, subterraneous bass response. 

Regarding the treble: well, there’s not much to say, other than (for better or worse), I’ve never heard a more polite, but still present, top-end.

Once I’ve had more time to adjust to this sumptuous new sound, I should be able to formulate a more coherent post, but in the meantime, I simply plan to soak myself in the PM3’s warm waters.  

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #2,059 of 6,302
For the last four days, I’ve been acquainting myself with the PM3. Usually, it doesn’t take me so long to adapt to a new sound-signature, but the PM3 doesn’t sound like any of my other headphones, so I’m struggling with its uniqueness a little.

More precisely put: the PM3 imparts a surprisingly wet and honey-hued sound. Many folks may be tempted to call these headphones “warm,” but I’m tempted to go one step further and say: The PM3 epitomizes warmth.  By contrast, the Focal Spirit Professional sounds lean and bereft of any conspicuous coloring, which I think may make them the more “neutral” headphones. But that’s not to say that the FSP is in any way superior: it’s not.

The PM3’s bass, for example, has much more depth and presence than the FSP’s. Don’t get me wrong: the FSP can deliver an admirable punch, but onlywhen an armed and thuggish recording forces it into action. The PM3, on the other hand, never plays the game of “peek-a-boo” with its bass.  Instead, it delivers a mature and steady bass response, while never sounding “flabby” or “wooly” or in the least bit “loose.”

And perhaps this is why I find the PM3’s sound-signature so alluring and yet so challenging to describe: a prominent low-end will typically penalize a given sound-signature in one darn way or another—usually by mucking up the midrange or repressing the presence of vocals. But the PM3 adroitly avoids all such pitfalls; indeed, its midrange sounds exquisitely linear to my ears, despite its sonorous, and sometimes, subterraneous bass response. 

Regarding the treble: well, there’s not much to say, other than (for better or worse), I’ve never heard a more polite, but still present, top-end.

Once I’ve had more time to adjust to this sumptuous new sound, I should be able to formulate a more coherent post, but in the meantime, I simply plan to soak myself in the PM3’s warm waters.  

Glad to hear it's working out! I know there was quite a bit of deliberation! :)

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,060 of 6,302

Quote:
  Many folks may be tempted to call these headphones “warm,” but I’m tempted to go one step further and say: The PM3 epitomizes warmth.  By contrast, the Focal Spirit Professional sounds lean and bereft of any conspicuous coloring, which I think may make them the more “neutral” headphones.

I totally agree.

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,062 of 6,302
I just purchase an open box pm-3 which the dealer said the previous owner had for a week.  I was using a sennheiser hd-25. The pm-3 sounds better than the hd-25 in all respects. The pm-3 is smoother sounding with more body. The hd-25 is fun to listen to but can sound harsh at times. The pm-3 mid range is more natural with more presence. I initially thought to hd-25 bass was better but with further use of the pm-3 , the pm-3 bass is superior. The pm-3 bass goes deeper and has more texture. The pm-3 highs are more subdue but not to an extent of me noticing or interfering with the enjoyment of the music. Details are very good. I don't really care about soundstage unless it so poor that i notice it. I find the soundstage ok with the pm-3. I have a gripe with all those people who compare different equipment and say how this piece has better soundstage than that piece. How would one know which one is more accurate unless you were there when the music was recorded. The pm-3 are about as hard to drive as the hd-25. I am using the sony nw-zx2 and almost have to use max volume. I do tend to listen louder than the average person. Lastly , i had a 2ft furutech 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and compared it to the stock cable. It looks like i am going to have to buy a longer furutech cable. The furutech cable improved the sound of the pm-3 with the dynamics being most noticeable.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,063 of 6,302
Glad to hear it's working out! I know there was quite a bit of deliberation!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, and as usual, I stretched out the deliberation phase of my purchase for completely unnecessary concerns; btw, it turns out that the PM3’s sound-stage, though small, suites me just fine. I admit, the PM3 doesn’t project an open stage with holographic depth or anything like that, but the PM3, thankfully, still images well, and I can clearly differentiate instruments in bigger bands during even busy songs.

So yep, I’m happy with these cans. And as a bonus, I can finally don a pair of headphones in public that won’t embarrass me! That’s priceless. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,064 of 6,302
  Yep, and as usual, I stretched out the deliberation phase of my purchase for completely unnecessary concerns; btw, it turns out that the PM3’s sound-stage, though small, suites me just fine. I admit, the PM3 doesn’t project an open stage with holographic depth or anything like that, but the PM3, thankfully, still images well, and I can clearly differentiate instruments in bigger bands during even busy songs.

So yep, I’m happy with these cans. And as a bonus, I can finally don a pair of headphones in public that won’t embarrass me! That’s priceless. 

Nice to hear you are liking the PM-3. I am just repeating myself here, the PM-3 don't have large soundstage, but the imaging and instrument separation are fantastic! Enjoy your PM-3! 

P.S. - I enjoy them more now with my Surf cables (balanced) and Theorem 720. A match made in heaven. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,068 of 6,302
I wish I had somewhere nearby to audition these! I typically prefer open headphones for their airiness, but something keeps telling me these are worth looking at. I just bought the new HE-400s, I'd love to compare an open planar magnetic headphone to a closed one, specifically in regards to their quickness and stage presence.

You would think you could find an audio shop that specializes in headphones, but most places seem to have a large speaker/amp section, and a small space/selection relegated to headphones.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,069 of 6,302
If you are US or Canada there is the loaner program in the Sponsor Announcements thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back