Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 16, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,026 of 6,302
Everyone hears things differently, so dont let me influence you too much. I think the PM-3 sound is also tough to categorize. Its best to hear them yourself. Oppo's tour program might still be going on too.

Thanks for the advice, manbear, but I think I'll take the plunge and order my pair tomorrow. I would have ordered the PM-3 months ago, but every online review I read followed the same pattern: first, a reviewer would gush about these headphones, heaping upon them one superlative after the next; then, towards the end of the review, the author would insert an insidious caveat, warning about the smaller than average soundstage.  So, admittedly, I was a little concerned.

Anyway, as long as the PM-3 can reproduce a sound-stage, even a modest one, I should be happy. With the FSP, the soundstage frequently collapsed altogether, and in complex songs this resulted in a pulpy, riotous sound that, at its worst, could all but swallow the crooning’s of weaker vocalist.

For a long time, I also considered buying the Audeze El-8, but the El-8 thread has degenerated into a festival of negativity, so I nixed that idea. 

Jul 16, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,027 of 6,302
Soundstage is on the small side but the instrument placement is fantastic. Using balanced connection to my Theorem 720, I've noticed an increase in soundstage size and better dynamics. Of course, according to my ears.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,032 of 6,302
  I find the PM-3 soundstage layered and detailed, but not particularly deep [very similar to the PM-1].  My Mikros 90 and my harman/kardon CL sound more "open" and 3-dimensional than the PM-3.

I tried the Mikros 90 and found them to be a total bust. Haven't heard a peep from Martin Logan about headphones since.

In comparison, I think the PM-3s have a decent soundstage considering they're closed and isolate well.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,035 of 6,302
I read many reviews here and just went to their office in Mountain View at my lunch break to listen.

After auditioning PM-2 and 3, and given my main use: listening on the go - went with PM-3 right there and then. I was fine with buying a portable amp too, but they sounded quite awesome without it, so I deferred a purchase of the amp.

Am not an established and experience audiophile who knows how to precisely convert audio impressions into words.

One thing I can say - they make me smile every time I listen to music. Tried them on a plane, crowded environment, silence of my home - they performed delightfully well to my taste (awesome enough to make my first post on this forum).

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #2,036 of 6,302
  I read many reviews here and just went to their office in Mountain View at my lunch break to listen.

After auditioning PM-2 and 3, and given my main use: listening on the go - went with PM-3 right there and then. I was fine with buying a portable amp too, but they sounded quite awesome without it, so I deferred a purchase of the amp.

Am not an established and experience audiophile who knows how to precisely convert audio impressions into words.

One thing I can say - they make me smile every time I listen to music. Tried them on a plane, crowded environment, silence of my home - they performed delightfully well to my taste (awesome enough to make my first post on this forum).

Thanks! I COULD go hear it at their Office- a bit of a drive but not dreadful...

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #2,039 of 6,302

I've been toying with buying the PM-3's or HD650's for weeks now. Which would you favour, if you could only choose one ?

I'll chime in here with my unsolicited opinion. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'd say it depends on your needs.  As an owner of both cans, based on sound quality alone, I would choose the HD650.  However, the reason I bought the PM-3 is because it's an excellent closed, portable headphone that I can use in many scenarios where the HD650 just isn't practical because of its open design.  I'm not taking anything away from the PM-3--it's a great headphone, but when properly amped and in a quiet environment (i.e. for home listening), I'd chose the HD650 every time.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #2,040 of 6,302
  I'll chime in here with my unsolicited opinion. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'd say it depends on your needs.  As an owner of both cans, based on sound quality alone, I would choose the HD650.  However, the reason I bought the PM-3 is because it's an excellent closed, portable headphone that I can use in many scenarios where the HD650 just isn't practical because of its open design.  I'm not taking anything away from the PM-3--it's a great headphone, but when properly amped and in a quiet environment (i.e. for home listening), I'd chose the HD650 every time.

Please feel free to chime in !
bigsmile_face.gif
 ( Although, I feel I'm going to feel even more undecided !! )

Unfortunately, due to being housebound, I can't go and try out any headphones. This has created often disappointments, with purchase choices that I have previously made ! It's a lot of hassle to return things, given my physical circumstances, so inevitably keep my purchases.
I wish I could just choose the right headphone. ( besides other portable audio device choices ! ) I had some Senn HD595, a few years back, which I absolutely loved ! Perhaps the HD650's is the way to go ?
Then I think about buying a Oppo HA-2 AMP / DAC. ( to upgrade from my E12. ) and think again about pairing with the PM-3's. There's so much stuff I'd like to buy, but of course, I can't buy everything, sadly ! I just want to make the right choice, I can't afford to make the wrong one again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back