Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions
Jul 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,041 of 6,302
  Please feel free to chime in !
bigsmile_face.gif
 ( Although, I feel I'm going to feel even more undecided !! )

Unfortunately, due to being housebound, I can't go and try out any headphones. This has created often disappointments, with purchase choices that I have previously made ! It's a lot of hassle to return things, given my physical circumstances, so inevitably keep my purchases.
I wish I could just choose the right headphone. ( besides other portable audio device choices ! ) I had some Senn HD595, a few years back, which I absolutely loved ! Perhaps the HD650's is the way to go ?
Then I think about buying a Oppo HA-2 AMP / DAC. ( to upgrade from my E12. ) and think again about pairing with the PM-3's. There's so much stuff I'd like to buy, but of course, I can't buy everything, sadly ! I just want to make the right choice, I can't afford to make the wrong one again.

Hey, Rob. I don't have the PM-3 yet (that should change by Wednesday though), but here’s my educated guess: the HD650’s should have a wider (perhaps a much wider) soundstage and a more prominent, but still highly focused, mid-bass response. Judging from what I have gleaned from many online reviews, the PM-3’s, by contrast, should have a slightly more mid-centric presentation that favors vocal fundamentals and overtones (I’m sure others will verify or falsify this impression in short-order, but either way, check out Tyll Hertsen’s review at Innerfidelity; his reviews are always tremendously insightful.)
Anyway, I can say this one thing with certainty: The HD650 trumps the HD595 in every way, especially in bass response. When my PM-3 arrives next week, if you still need help deciding between these headphones, I’ll be happy to post some impressions. Good luck.   

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #2,042 of 6,302
  Hey, Rob. I don't have the PM-3 yet (that should change by Wednesday though), but here’s my educated guess: the HD650’s should have a wider (perhaps a much wider) soundstage and a more prominent, but still highly focused, mid-bass response. Judging from what I have gleaned from many online reviews, the PM-3’s, by contrast, should have a slightly more mid-centric presentation that favors vocal fundamentals and overtones (I’m sure others will verify or falsify this impression in short-order, but either way, check out Tyll Hertsen’s review at Innerfidelity; his reviews are always tremendously insightful.)
Anyway, I can say this one thing with certainty: The HD650 trumps the HD595 in every way, especially in bass response. When my PM-3 arrives next week, if you still need help deciding between these headphones, I’ll be happy to post some impressions. Good luck.   

Thank you for your feedback, Madmollusk. You say the bass is far better on the HD650's, compared to the 595's. It's not too "boomy" though, I hope ?
I look forward to your impression's of the PM-3's. Hope you will be happy with them.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #2,043 of 6,302
I suggest you read this review for some detailed info and characteristic of PM-3 http://www.head-fi.org/products/oppo-pm-3/reviews/12893

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,046 of 6,302
Just joined the club. I pulled the trigger on a refurbished pair from the Oppo website for 319$ plus shipping! I can't wait.
Nice. That's a great a price. I'm jamming out with them right now.

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,047 of 6,302
  Just joined the club. I pulled the trigger on a refurbished pair from the Oppo website for 319$ plus shipping! I can't wait.

Welcome to the club!

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,048 of 6,302
I read many reviews here and just went to their office in Mountain View at my lunch break to listen.

After auditioning PM-2 and 3, and given my main use: listening on the go - went with PM-3 right there and then. I was fine with buying a portable amp too, but they sounded quite awesome without it, so I deferred a purchase of the amp.

Am not an established and experience audiophile who knows how to precisely convert audio impressions into words.

One thing I can say - they make me smile every time I listen to music. Tried them on a plane, crowded environment, silence of my home - they performed delightfully well to my taste (awesome enough to make my first post on this forum).

Hey IgLions- did they sell them from their office?

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2,049 of 6,302
Hey IgLions- did they sell them from their office?

Yes, they did. 

Once I told I am ready to buy it took 10 mins to walk out with a box. Much better experience than any retail store BTW. Specially set up cubicle where you can listen to their headphones and bunch of others (like Audeze), no pressure of any sort, quiet environment.

PS. LGLions :)

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,050 of 6,302
Yes, they did. 

Once I told I am ready to buy it took 10 mins to walk out with the box. Much better experience than any retail store BTW. Specially setup cube where you can listen to their headphone and bunch of other (like Audeze), no pressure of any sort, quite environment.

PS. LGLions :)

Cool! Thanks! I'll have to check it out!
Thanks LG!

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2,051 of 6,302
i just received my pair,I have the LCD XC and the alpha primes so I was looking for something more portable to take with me on trips etc....I have listened to them for a short period of time thus far and here are my impressions relative to the big boys i own!

The Oppo's are solid and enjoyable,the do a nice job detail wise  but they aren't in the same league with the other 2 in terms of the size of the presentation,the soundstage and the bass but hey what do you expect?They do a very good job isolating,pretty much in the same league as the alpha primes and a bit better than the XC's....

They are smaller and easier to wear and perfect for travel.Easy to carry around a quite good for the money.I am very impressed and they well serve the purpose well.It is not fair to judge them relative to an 1800 dollar pair so i wont.On their own they are very impressive their price point and a great option for anyone looking for a very good traveling option.BTW,i find they need a solid amp to be enjoyed properly

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #2,052 of 6,302
I purchased my PM-3s in May here in Sydney and have been absolutely loving them ever since. I made the move from headphones to IEMs for the majority of my use years ago but was looking for something more comfortable for long periods at work. The PM-3 was a great choice.

I spent hours at Hi-Fi trader (now owned by Melbourne-based institution Addicted to Audio) auditioning potential candidates based on my requirements: Portable (they'd be travelling with me too) closed back and decent isolation. My choice ended up coming down to the PM-3 and the Sennheiser Momentum 2. I almost got sucked in to the allure of the Momentum. The more emphasised bass and treble made for a very exciting initial test. Luckily I didn't forget to play one of my go-to test tracks: Ara Batur by Sigur Ros. This intensely emotional song leads you from a moment of sparse and tender introspection to grandiose, heavily orchestrated epicness over 9 minutes. I listened first on he Momentum and I was loving it. But then I switched to the PM-3 and the song just seemed to open up.

Joni's unique voice was beautifully present and detailed and the entire piece seemed to evolve better and felt much more dynamic. If there is one problem with the PM-3 it would be that it can be quite unforgiving with really dense tracks. The slightly forward mids are susceptible to filling up and losing some of the clarity and detail that I usually love above these earphones.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,053 of 6,302
  I purchased my PM-3s in May here in Sydney and have been absolutely loving them ever since. I made the move from headphones to IEMs for the majority of my use years ago but was looking for something more comfortable for long periods at work. The PM-3 was a great choice.

I spent hours at Hi-Fi trader (now owned by Melbourne-based institution Addicted to Audio) auditioning potential candidates based on my requirements: Portable (they'd be travelling with me too) closed back and decent isolation. My choice ended up coming down to the PM-3 and the Sennheiser Momentum 2. I almost got sucked in to the allure of the Momentum. The more emphasised bass and treble made for a very exciting initial test. Luckily I didn't forget to play one of my go-to test tracks: Ara Batur by Sigur Ros. This intensely emotional song leads you from a moment of sparse and tender introspection to grandiose, heavily orchestrated epicness over 9 minutes. I listened first on he Momentum and I was loving it. But then I switched to the PM-3 and the song just seemed to open up.

Joni's unique voice was beautifully present and detailed and the entire piece seemed to evolve better and felt much more dynamic. If there is one problem with the PM-3 it would be that it can be quite unforgiving with really dense tracks. The slightly forward mids are susceptible to filling up and losing some of the clarity and detail that I usually love above these earphones.

I had similar findings with a Momentum vs PM-3 comparison & really enjoyed reading your impressions on that comparison. Appreciate your thoughts!

The PM-3 can sound less crisp and airy compared to brighter headphones. A bit off a trade-off with the PM-3's smooth tuning and excellent bass response. I don't think its detail or clarity lacking compared to the majority of closed headphones and I think the PM-3 is very well-balanced overall. Even further additional sense of clarity and definition often attributable to 4-6kHz region. So depending on what final sound signature you are looking for, there may be other options that fit your individual tastes better. Maybe the old K550. Can't really think of any really analytical brighter portable closed headphones right now.

Jul 24, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #2,054 of 6,302
Took a bike ride over to Oppo's USA headquarters in Mountain View yesterday and picked up the PM-3. Had a short audition and decided to purchase. They were hooked up to the Oppo HA-2 and it was refreshing to hear high-end sound from such a small package. Also tried directly from my OnePlus One phone and the sound was OK but nothing close to hi-fi. The power, depth, soundstage, bass, clarity, layering (basically everything) were all several notches below the HA-2.

I've never really invested much in portable gear before but will be transitioning from a desktop setup at work that consisted of a Audio-GD DI v3 -> CIAudio VDA-2 dac (oldie but goodie that has held its own over the years) -> WA7 -> Fostex TH-600. Compared to this setup, the PM-3 out of the HA-2 lacked clarity, treble extension and soundstage but the TH600 is V-shaped so they really sparkle in the upper frequencies. Overall, the PM-3/HA-2 was more musical and balanced. Additionally, the PM-3 is more portable and has excellent isolation, as everyone else has said. I haven't tried the PM-3 with the WA7 and may not ever as my WA7 will be hitting the For Sale forum soon. I really like the idea of having a more portable rig where I can still enjoy great sound while working out on the patio at the office or running off to the micro-kitchen/restroom.

For now, I'll be using the PM-3 with a Centrance Dacport (once it arrives). Transport will be iTunes + Audirvana on a Macbook Air.

I've also gotten in on Centrance's HiFi Skyn indiegogo campaign and will be picking up the iPod 6G 128gb when the Skyn ships. Once I have these parts in place, I expect to have a pretty ideal portable setup.

+1 on Sigur Ros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back