OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
May 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #227 of 991
I had the PM-3 for a week 3 weeks ago and the PM-2 last week.  I liked them both.  They were similar but certainly not identical.  Tastes vary but I liked the PM-3 better than the PM-2 by a small margin.  I would be happy with either.  Neither cost nor being closed versus open were high on my list, my preference is strictly based on subjective feel about how I liked the sound.

May 26, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #228 of 991
Canada Unit #1 just arrived with me today.

It's going to have a visit to the Calgary Head-Fi meet on May 31st. It's also going to get to play with the Cayin N6, Fiio X5ii and Hidizs AP100, all of which will be with me by week's end for the meet and for review purposes. Ai caramba!

May 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #230 of 991
  Seems things are about 4-6 weeks from when I would get them to try. I think all my gear should be here by then to test it against and get the most out of it. 

As long as I am able to let someone go ahead of me once or twice in case I am without some of my gear, then please add me to the list. I am very interested in trying these out. 

EDIT: I am in the Continental US and agree to the terms and conditions of this program. 

Hoping this doesnt get lost. I still have not been added to the list.

May 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #232 of 991
Loaner PM-3 Unit #8 is in-transit to its next stop. 

This is really a GREAT program. Being able to listen to quality gear like this, in your own home, without any time pressure, with your own other equipment and tunes, is the ideal evaluation situation. I spent more than 30 hrs listening to them. 

I will post some impressions soon, but as an executive summary, IMO Oppo nailed it with these. They're closed portable cans that work very with my portable gear, but with my regular home gear they're at least as enjoyable as my HifiMan He-400i and Senn HD-650. (Versus my ancient Stax SR-X Mk 3, the PM-3 clearly don't have the same soundstage and airiness, but they dominate in low-end slam.)

Never got tired of hearing them, never found any music in my collection that made me think "this music isn't well suited for these 'phones." Janis Joplin and Nora Jones edged on strident at some moments, but they always do to me.

(edit ... fixed typo)

May 26, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #233 of 991
  love to hear your thoughts on the PM-3! :)

I didn't get much time to do any critical listening with the PM-3 due to other responsibilities, but I can say while they're not as technically competent as my Alpha Dogs were the PM-3 has a bit of charm and musicality that I felt the Alpha lacked. It's a damned impressive headphone. I also handed it to a few audio lovers while I had the tour unit and practically everyone was in awe of the PM-3.

Now to figure out how I can get Oppo to send me a blue one...

May 27, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #235 of 991
I would like to give these PM-3's a try as they are definitely on my list of potential headphones to buy in the near future. I agree to the terms and conditions.

This is an awesome program oppo has setup for us. I'm too late and just decided to purchase a pair of pm-3's and a headphone stand. They will be a gift for my fiancé and sure she will love them. I hear pretty much only positive reviews on them and figured I can't go wrong! Now I have a norne audio zoetic cable being made for my pair I just ordered. It will be perfect!
All my headphones will have the zoetic cable!
But I think it's awesome that oppo offers the bonus cable for iPhone and android users!

May 27, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #237 of 991
Received loaner unit #3 today, Wednesday, May 27. 2015. Everything is in good shape.

I first tried it directly out of an iPhone and was very impressed with the sound quality and the decent sound stage. Instrument separation was actually very good.

Will post more thoughts in a few days.

Thanks to OPPO for supporting this loaner program.

May 28, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #240 of 991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back