OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
May 19, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #211 of 991
I'm auditioning the headphones this week and my initial impression was lots of mid-range detail but overly dark for my tastes. Today after two hours streaming Bob Marley from Tidal out of a Fostex HPa8 and comparing to Audeze LCD-X and on-ear Momentums I wasn't very happy. Sounded closer to my unmodified Fostex T-50RPs and then I used my Astell and Kern AK-100 II and the Oppo's came to life -- big time. Not as full a sound as the LCD-X but close enough especially if you don't switch back and forth. Way better than the Momentums for the first time. Not sure what's happened here but the testing goes on :)

May 19, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #212 of 991
My week was so full, I only got to spend a couple hours with them. I will elaborate in the next day or two when some time frees up.

Overall positive impression, build and sound wise. I appreciate the opportunity to demo them.  

TonySunshine - Unit #2 is leaving today, you'll probably see it in the next day or two. 

May 20, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #214 of 991
Me too. Thanks to OPPO I really enjoyed my time with the PM-3s to the point I'm seriously thinking of buying my own. They were that good (I've posted a review.). Also all this evaluating is helping me to develop my hearing and my reporting skills. 

May 20, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #216 of 991
Here's where it gets interesting: I found the PM-3 worked just fine on its own. They sounded terrific out of my IPhone with and without a Cozoy Astrapi. They sounded great out of my small Fiio E-10K DAC. I had some original struggles with my Fostex HP-a8c for some reason but those issues disappeared and the PM-3s worked really well there too. They absolutely did not need any amplification out of my AK-100 II and sounded great on their own. I'm honestly thinking of how I can come up with the cash to buy my own set of PM-3s. I listened to them for two and half days virtually non-stopped and I was never fatigued from the sound or sore from the wearing. That on top of the great sound (which is....unique in a good way and I'll leave it to you to make your own evaluation) that's a pretty compelling argument for inclusion to my growing collection. They are that good IMHO.

May 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #217 of 991
  What kind of amplifiers would be recommended for pairing with PM-3? I think I am the next in line to receive the PM-3 loaner unit #3. I am excited.

If you're looking for portable I like the PM-3 paired with my E12 and Oppo's own HA-2 is a good match as well. My loaner PM-3 seems to scale well with gear so a good desktop amp should work wonders.

May 20, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #218 of 991
  Here's where it gets interesting: I found the PM-3 worked just fine on its own. They sounded terrific out of my IPhone with and without a Cozoy Astrapi. They sounded great out of my small Fiio E-10K DAC. I had some original struggles with my Fostex HP-a8c for some reason but those issues disappeared and the PM-3s worked really well there too. They absolutely did not need any amplification out of my AK-100 II and sounded great on their own. I'm honestly thinking of how I can come up with the cash to buy my own set of PM-3s. I listened to them for two and half days virtually non-stopped and I was never fatigued from the sound or sore from the wearing. That on top of the great sound (which is....unique in a good way and I'll leave it to you to make your own evaluation) that's a pretty compelling argument for inclusion to my growing collection. They are that good IMHO.

If you're looking for portable I like the PM-3 paired with my E12 and Oppo's own HA-2 is a good match as well. My loaner PM-3 seems to scale well with gear so a good desktop amp should work wonders.

Thanks so much for the inputs, it's really helpful. I will share some thoughts here when I get to listen to PM-3.

May 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #219 of 991
Thanks man! looking forward to hearing them

Quote:
  My week was so full, I only got to spend a couple hours with them. I will elaborate in the next day or two when some time frees up.

Overall positive impression, build and sound wise. I appreciate the opportunity to demo them.  

TonySunshine - Unit #2 is leaving today, you'll probably see it in the next day or two. 

May 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #221 of 991
Seems things are about 4-6 weeks from when I would get them to try. I think all my gear should be hear by then to test it against and get the most out of it. 

As long as I am able to let someone go ahead of me once or twice in case I am without some of my gear, then please add me to the list. I am very interested in trying these out. 

EDIT: I am in the Continental US and agree to the terms and conditions of this program. 

May 22, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #223 of 991
  Canada unit #1 is now on its way to hakushondaimao

Wahei! Looking forward to giving this a listen, and taking it to the Calgary Head-Fi meet at the end of next week.

May 22, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #224 of 991
Wahei! Looking forward to giving this a listen, and taking it to the Calgary Head-Fi meet at the end of next week.

Getting awesomely close to waynes world :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back