OPPO PM-3 Portable Planar Magnetic Headphones Loaner Program
May 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #197 of 991
Received the cans from Yoguy tonight.  They were exquisitely packaged and in great shape.  Yoguy was a hell of a steward for your cans, Oppo...Thanks a bunch!

Week starts....now!

May 14, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #200 of 991
May 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #202 of 991
For those of you who are behind me on the list for unit #3: good news--your wait time is about to get a little shorter!  (I've notified Jiffy Squid to take me off the list.)  Earlier this week, I decided to just buy them without hearing them first.   After reading the impressions here, I figured it would be a pretty safe bet that I'd like them.  Well, they arrived today and...  so far I'm impressed.  They seem to be just what I was looking for in a portable headphone--they're well-built, comfortable, and they sound great!  I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with them this weekend, but so far I'm happy I took the plunge!

May 16, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #204 of 991
I've been looking for retailers in Calgary, Canada to see if I could find anyone carrying this set so that I could test them out, and somehow I stumbled on this post. I would love to participate in the loaner program. I've been looking for a planar magnetic set, and these sound very promising indeed.

May 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #205 of 991
I've been looking for retailers in Calgary, Canada to see if I could find anyone carrying this set so that I could test them out, and somehow I stumbled on this post. I would love to participate in the loaner program. I've been looking for a planar magnetic set, and these sound very promising indeed.

@evilbyte, you should come to the Calgary Head-Fi meet-up on May 31st at U-of-C. For info and a list of gear that will be there, check out the first page of this thread. To register, just post that you'd like to come. I'm on the PM-3 tour, and will be bringing one of the review sets to the meet. In addition, you'll get to try out a whole bunch of other killer stuff!

May 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #207 of 991

@evilbyte, you should come to the Calgary Head-Fi meet-up on May 31st at U-of-C. For info and a list of gear that will be there, check out the first page of this thread. To register, just post that you'd like to come. I'm on the PM-3 tour, and will be bringing one of the review sets to the meet. In addition, you'll get to try out a whole bunch of other killer stuff!

Hey, that's great!  I see some nice gear will be present :)

May 18, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #208 of 991
Good Afternoon,

I would be interested in the Oppo PM-3.  I understand the terms and conditions of this program.

Thanks
MWSVette

May 18, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #209 of 991
Just got the headphones this morning. I'm going to post some initial impressions here and then a review in the main thread after I've listened to them more. 

Awesome build quality. The cups are narrow but deep and comfortable. The padding over the drivers helps a lot in that department. Isolation is very good--I almost missed my train because of it. I was standing on the platform looking away and didn't even hear it pull up next to me.

Bass is excellent. Good extension and more subbass than midbass. About on par with my HE-400i in tightness and quantity but a little harder hitting. Too bad I don't have my P7 anymore...The P7 had equal extension but was fatter and more rumbly from what I remember. 

Soundstage was jarringly small when I first put them on, but it's not bad now that my ears have adjusted. Depth is only ok but separation is very good and makes up for it. 

Tonal balance is decent. It's fairly natural overall but the upper mids are too forward and create a hot, hazy, congested quality I'm still trying to put my finger on. Slightly fatiguing but not spiky or sibilant. Moderate amount of treble. Not dark, not bright, just full and energetic. 

Overall detail and transparency are good but a small step below my HE-400i and TH-600. Similar to the P7. 

I like them overall but I'm not sure if I would buy them due to the fatigue... we'll have to see how well my ears adjust. 

May 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #210 of 991
[COLOR=222222]Just got the headphones this morning. I'm going to post some initial impressions here and then a review in the main thread after I've listened to them more. [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]
[/COLOR][COLOR=222222]Awesome build quality. The cups are narrow but deep and comfortable. The padding over the drivers helps a lot in that department. Isolation is very good--I almost missed my train because of it. I was standing on the platform looking away and didn't even hear it pull up next to me.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Bass is excellent. Good extension and more subbass than midbass. About on par with my HE-400i in tightness and quantity but a little harder hitting. Too bad I don't have my P7 anymore...The P7 had equal extension but was fatter and more rumbly from what I remember. 

Soundstage was jarringly small when I first put them on, but it's not bad now that my ears have adjusted. Depth is only ok but separation is very good and makes up for it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Tonal balance is decent. It's fairly natural overall but the upper mids are too forward and create a hot, hazy, congested quality I'm still trying to put my finger on. Slightly fatiguing but not spiky or sibilant. Moderate amount of treble. Not dark, not bright, just full and energetic. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=222222]Overall detail and transparency are good but a small step below my HE-400i and TH-600. Similar to the P7. 

I like them overall but I'm not sure if I would buy them due to the fatigue... we'll have to see how well my ears adjust. [/COLOR]

It's funny, I got my demo in a couple days ago and share the same thoughts on build quality, but almost opposite on sound. It's great that Oppo is giving us this OPPOrtunity (sorry, had to...) as it shows just how different we all interpret what we hear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back