OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Nov 23, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #676 of 743
Glad I didn't go by the reviews then. Best $499 I ever spent on a headphone. Thanks to @Rodmunch for alerting us to the refurb sale.

Nov 23, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #677 of 743
Happy to help!

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #679 of 743
I'm thinking of upgrading to a sony z1r or ether 2 from my 3 month old pm1. I might put the pm1 up for sale should know by monday. it's 3 months old with all accessories, box, paperwork as new. I'm UK based if anyone might be interested please message me. Not definite yet but more likely dependent on ether 2 audition monday.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #680 of 743
If anyone is interested, as of today oppoDigital sells the PM2 refurbished for $399

Link
https://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-PM-2/headphones-PM-2-Support.aspx

oppo.jpg

Dec 14, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #681 of 743
Wow great deal! $100 less than I paid not even a month ago.

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #682 of 743
Received mine today, brand new untouched.
Compared with Sennheiser 800S

Better soundstage - HD800S
Better bass - OPPO
Tamed highs on the OPPO, though not always a positive
Fit is subjective. If you have big ears then OPPO is not for you.
Much lower sound outside the cans for OPPO, that's if you have a spouse that hates noise coming out of your headset.

Would I choose OPPO over HD800S? No way. While the OPPO is good, the Sennheiser is brilliant. For $399 the OPPO has it's use

For both I used Silver Dragon cables, Vioelectric V200, Schiit Modi multibit, Kimber interconnects and Cardas clear High Speed USB

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #683 of 743
Received mine today, brand new untouched.
Compared with Sennheiser 800S

Better soundstage - HD800S
Better bass - OPPO
Tamed highs on the OPPO, though not always a positive
Fit is subjective. If you have big ears then OPPO is not for you.
Much lower sound outside the cans for OPPO, that's if you have a spouse that hates noise coming out of your headset.

Would I choose OPPO over HD800S? No way. While the OPPO is good, the Sennheiser is brilliant. For $399 the OPPO has it's use

For both I used Silver Dragon cables, Vioelectric V200, Schiit Modi multibit, Kimber interconnects and Cardas clear High Speed USB
The PM-2 is no ‘match’ for the HD800.
BUT it’s MUCH more versatile IMO, and is much better with rock & pop than the HD800.
At the current price, the PM-2 is a STEAL IMO.

Dec 28, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #686 of 743
The PM-2 is no ‘match’ for the HD800.
BUT it’s MUCH more versatile IMO, and is much better with rock & pop than the HD800.
At the current price, the PM-2 is a STEAL IMO.
No, it's better..

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #689 of 743
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adv...-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end.824351/

I did that comparison a couple years ago. I really wanted to like the P9's but they fell short for me. At the time, I ended up with the Audio Zenith PM-X2's (heavily modded PM-2's) and the Sennheiser HD-800's (SR mod)
Just read that thread... Obviously everybody’s ears are different, but it sounded like perhaps your P9’s needed some more burning in. Mine had that boomy, overwhelming bass thing at first too. But they change DRAMATICALLY... In fact, the P9 presented perhaps the most dramatic burn-in change I’ve ever experienced in a headphone. My initial impression was of a headphone with absolutely world-class treble, superb soundstage, excellent bass and sub-bass extension... Marred by a massive, booming, deal-breaking mid-bass bump that very often ended up completely wrecking many tracks for me. I’m so glad I stuck it out, though. After 20-30 hours the mid-bass bump has disappeared, and the can exhibits terrific restraint in that department... The bass no longer forces it’s way into tracks that do not call for it. But when a track does call for it, look out. It’s the only headphones I’ve heard that can reproduce Ludacris’ How Low... Which is, frankly, bonkers. Not that I listen to that kind of music very much... My tastes are pretty eclectic, but I’m definitely not a bass-head. Anyway, the P9 has become my current favorite closed can, believe it or not... Even beating out my Sony Z1R, which retails for roughly 3x the cost...

That all said, the PM-2’s are $399 (refurbed) from Oppo right now, so I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger if they offered a different but equally enjoyable (for me) flavor, hence the request for comparisons. I don’t want to end up with a redundant can for my collection, even if it is a steal.

I haven’t heard the PMX2, but I followed the reviews and discussions with interest. Frankly, I’m just not sold on the idea of dropping nearly $2k on a boutique-modded can that started life firmly in the mid-fi tier. For that money, you’re starting to get into some truly world-class cans, after all. I’m stoked you like yours, though. If he’d foregone the custom-paint, decals, and other bits of pageantry in favor of just the tuning mods, for like $300-$400, and let people pick up the $60 pads from Oppo on their own, I might have been into it... Again, no disrespect to your choice, just different strokes and all that.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #690 of 743
Just read that thread... Obviously everybody’s ears are different, but it sounded like perhaps your P9’s needed some more burning in. Mine had that boomy, overwhelming bass thing at first too. But they change DRAMATICALLY... In fact, the P9 presented perhaps the most dramatic burn-in change I’ve ever experienced in a headphone. My initial impression was of a headphone with absolutely world-class treble, superb soundstage, excellent bass and sub-bass extension... Marred by a massive, booming, deal-breaking mid-bass bump that very often ended up completely wrecking many tracks for me. I’m so glad I stuck it out, though. After 20-30 hours the mid-bass bump has disappeared, and the can exhibits terrific restraint in that department....
I'm quite certain that if you compared a new P9 with your burned-in ones, you'd notice little difference. I like the richness and power of the bass but it pretty much stays the same through use, and it's a matter of taste whether one likes it or not. IMO there is no real logical reason for any headphone to change "dramatically" from use, unless it becomes defective. Another example was the Audioquest Nighthawks which were said to change dramatically after break-in. I was able to compare a new and an old and noticed little if any difference. It's usually a matter of adjusting to the sound signature and accepting it (or not) and pads softening from use, or headband grip loosening up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back