OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Jan 30, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #706 of 743
Ha, it's crazy the amount you can spend on HP stuff nowadaze.

Sorry to go off topic here- but seeing how u have the mx4 and Diana which do u prefer? Steve Guttenberg says the mx4 barely beats Diana. Wishing I would got in on the sale
The Diana. Guttenberg seems to like his phones soft and safe....depending on what day it is and which way the wind is blowing. Then he likes Grados. I can relate.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #707 of 743
I find them hi-fi, just 'mid' priced.
The sound is starting to open up very nicely compared to what I heard straight out of the box.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #708 of 743
What amp are people using to drive their PM2’s? Right now I’m going back and forth between the Burson Fun and the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. They both sound superb with the PM2’s and they are both Class A. The Burson Fun has a little more warmth to it sound that works very well with the PM2’s top end. The Burson Fun also has a little more bottom end weight to it. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 is more punchy and detailed in comparison

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #709 of 743
True, I have some other TOTL cans that are definitely better. But the PM2's are definitely in the upper tier of the mid-fi cans for sure.
The PM-2's definitely 'punch above their weight'. Yes, there are 'better' cans out there, and other sets do certain things 'better', but as all-rounders IMO the Oppo's are difficult to beat. They have an easy-going, very listenable character.

Jan 31, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #710 of 743
What amp are people using to drive their PM2’s? Right now I’m going back and forth between the Burson Fun and the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. They both sound superb with the PM2’s and they are both Class A. The Burson Fun has a little more warmth to it sound that works very well with the PM2’s top end. The Burson Fun also has a little more bottom end weight to it. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 is more punchy and detailed in comparison[/QUOT
What amp are people using to drive their PM2’s? Right now I’m going back and forth between the Burson Fun and the Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2. They both sound superb with the PM2’s and they are both Class A. The Burson Fun has a little more warmth to it sound that works very well with the PM2’s top end. The Burson Fun also has a little more bottom end weight to it. The Gilmore Lite Mk2 is more punchy and detailed in comparison
Another 'bonus' the PM-s's have, is that they're extremely unfussy with regard to amplification, and are very easy to drive. Almost anything will drive them, even an iPhone.
Yes, they will benefit from better amplification, but it's not a must, unlike using T1.2's or HD800's.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #711 of 743
Another 'bonus' the PM-s's have, is that they're extremely unfussy with regard to amplification, and are very easy to drive. Almost anything will drive them, even an iPhone.
Yes, they will benefit from better amplification, but it's not a must, unlike using T1.2's or HD800's.
That’s what I’m finding out and why I have no need to plug them into my Pro iCan. I was also lucky enough to get my hands on a Oppo HA-2se, which to say the least seems to be made for the PM2’s and my PM3’s

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #712 of 743
The PM-2's definitely 'punch above their weight'. Yes, there are 'better' cans out there, and other sets do certain things 'better', but as all-rounders IMO the Oppo's are difficult to beat. They have an easy-going, very listenable character.

This is what I have found. If I want to relax and enjoy music these are my go to headphones. I have just ordered Ether 2's as they are similar but 'clearer'. I definitely would say if I had to only have one pair of headphones it would be the PM-2's. They are great, fit brilliantly for me with a large head and are very light to wear.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #713 of 743
Anyone thinking of moving on from the PM-2 or adding more to their collection ... do have a try of the new Ether 2 - a lot dearer but a superb headphone with a similar sound signature to the Oppo's which are sadly not about any more. I do find the Oppo's fit better even if the Ether 2's are incredibly light - though fit is a very subjective thing I find the Oppo PM-2 just slide on my head like they were made for me.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #715 of 743
This reminded me of Dustin Hoffman in Rainman..

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #716 of 743
"THEY'RE ALL BIG BIG HEADPHONES AND THEY SOUND BIG, AND I THINK EVEN WITH HEADPHONES SIZE MATTERS, AND OF COURSE THE ABYSS THE ORIGINAL ABYSS THE AB1266 IS GIGANTIC ITS THE BIGGEST HEADPHONE IVE EVER SEEN AND ITS THE BEST, AND IT IS STILL THE BEST HEADPHONE" - Steve Guttenberg

so shop for BIGGG cans.

I am not sure Pm2 is big enough for me

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #717 of 743
I just ordered PM-2s from ebay (crossing fingers) and I have a set of PM-3s and the HE 400i. My question is about the label "semi-open" which I see the PM-2 described as. I tried them once in the Oppo digital headquarters in Menlo Park, and was blown away by how much broader they sounded over the PM-3s, but could only afford the closed backs at the time. So my idea is to have a closed back for outdoors and an open back for indoors, obviously, but I see people posting that the PM-2 works well as a portable outdoors hp. Aside from say, listening during take-off in a ✈, how good are the PM-2s in outdoor environments? Because of budget, I am considering selling the PM-3s if the PM-2 offer just enough sound isolation due to this "semi-open" nature. My main use would be on city buses, long walks, and in an office where isolation is not a huge concern. I am definitely selling the 400is due to the treble peak, though I do like those as well. Should I sell the PM-3s or keep them for portable use? Any exp. with PM-2s outdoors would be great to hear about!

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #718 of 743
These came in the mail yesterday, brand new, sealed in box from Hong Kong, for US $300 plus $50 shipping. I was scared this was a scam the deal was so good, but here they are, untouched and sounding great. They took just over a week to arrive, well before the estimated delivery date. It looks like there are still some available by seller. I am not into the high-end balanced cable idea (money) but would love to purchase a colorful threaded cable to upgrade the crappy 3.5mm. any recommendations in the $20-40 range?

Attachments

• 15731580260078576992156317421434.jpg
    15731580260078576992156317421434.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 19, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #719 of 743
Been playing around a bit with different pads on my PM-2s. Shure 1840 pads aren't a bad match at all

20210819_112502.JPG

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #720 of 743
Been playing around a bit with different pads on my PM-2s. Shure 1840 pads aren't a bad match at all

20210819_112502.JPG
How did you get these pads to fit on the PM-2s? Isnt the pad swapping proprietary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back