Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 5, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #3,691 of 3,729
Well, I have bought a near mint pair of PM-1's to replace my PM-2's ... which look like a car crash due to the faux leather flaking off on the headband ....

I was expecting the sound of the 'new' PM-1's to be exactly like my PM-2's but it isn't !
Both have the 'alternative' leather earpads (as I bought a pair for the PM-2's some years ago) ... yet the PM-1's seem noticeably clearer than the older PM-2's !

More definition and tightness, clearer treble ... yet the should be the same ! The basic 'signature' is there but definitely cleaner, clearer on the PM-1.

Now, I bought the PM-2's in 2015 so they are 6 years old and well used. The seller indicated he originally bought the PM-1's were from 2018 .... did Oppo make any subtle changes in that time perhaps, or is this just down to the tiny differences between 2 pairs you may get ??

To me the PM-1 is a better sound, cleaner but still relaxed and listenable for hours on end.

***Edited to add I have listened straight away / back to back as both pairs can be plugged into my Chord TT2 at the same time***
I had the pm2 and now the pm1. You are correct. The PM 1 does sound better and I too was not expecting that since everyone was saying that they sound the same.

May 22, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #3,694 of 3,729
to what extent does everyone think the pm1 scales up with hi end audio gear. i use a chord dave with mine.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #3,696 of 3,729
another league up vs 1990.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #3,697 of 3,729
another league up vs 1990.
coincidence I happen to be selling m DT1990 was considering trying the insane weirdly reviewed Cleer Next but you reminded me of this, might try to get Oppo PM-1's later, i'm in this one for the long one for sure to get both a very good condition babied unit and a good price, just scooped an LCD-3F too, love me muh Audeze's...
Also I heard that supposedly the only different between the PM-1 and PM-2 is the build but also heard people say they tried both and were surprised to hear a difference!

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #3,698 of 3,729
try a simple mojo 2 from chord instead of the ha1 or if you can hugo 2 these will show you what the pm1 can really do. put ha1 aside for a bit IMHO.

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #3,699 of 3,729
try a simple mojo 2 from chord instead of the ha1 or if you can hugo 2 these will show you what the pm1 can really do. put ha1 aside for a bit IMHO.
Wow, very strong recommend there on the new Mojo! had the old Mojo Poly combo I ended up selling due to software nonsense, just picked up another Mojo actually... a hugo and PM-1 in the near future might be in reach but I am also interested in your sourcing combo but worried by time I get there their will be less PM-1's around so it very well may be a Hugo 2... have you A/B'ed or gotten to try the Dave at all to compare to your setup? Got the impression the combo you have is a pretty hard hitter! That M Scaler's price is no joke would be very interested to see just what it does to the TT2 even without the Dave present to try... but high end Chord FPGA and trying at least a starting hi-fi R2R are my future goals, as far as chips go I think the ES9018S is about as good as it gets although I do have something on top of it with a ES9028PRO I occasionally use, and an iFi BL I like to tinker with too :p... but you are basically living my dream as far as source so I will take your recommends highly! Thank you!

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #3,700 of 3,729
My best advice is switch everything off apart from mojo with pm1. mojo drives the pm1 beautifully with great authority. sabre dacs and r2r are horrible sounding compared to chord fpga wizadry. you will have to pay top dollar to find a mint pm1 but it's worth it as not only is it a beautiful analogue sounding headphone very soon it will be a classic collectors piece approaching the 10 year mark. it's incredibly comfortable vs other hi end cans. a pure silver cable is needed to open up the soundstage. as for my set up i prefer mscaled tt2 to solo dave as the mscaler gives a 3d presentation otherwise lacking without it. a mojo2 or hugo2 with the pm1 would be your endgame set up ideally hugo2. if you can afford it add an mscaler to hugo2 later and you will never need anything else but it's not essential. ignore my indulgence with my set up i feel hugo2/pm1 for you and call it a day then just sell everything else you have amps/dacs. maybe use the funds for hugo2/pm1. forget pm2.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,701 of 3,729
My best advice is switch everything off apart from mojo with pm1. mojo drives the pm1 beautifully with great authority. sabre dacs and r2r are horrible sounding compared to chord fpga wizadry. you will have to pay top dollar to find a mint pm1 but it's worth it as not only is it a beautiful analogue sounding headphone very soon it will be a classic collectors piece approaching the 10 year mark. it's incredibly comfortable vs other hi end cans. a pure silver cable is needed to open up the soundstage. as for my set up i prefer mscaled tt2 to solo dave as the mscaler gives a 3d presentation otherwise lacking without it. a mojo2 or hugo2 with the pm1 would be your endgame set up ideally hugo2. if you can afford it add an mscaler to hugo2 later and you will never need anything else but it's not essential. ignore my indulgence with my set up i feel hugo2/pm1 for you and call it a day then just sell everything else you have amps/dacs. maybe use the funds for hugo2/pm1. forget pm2.
This is a hard pill to swallow, but your point of view from where you sit is extremely qualitative... I honestly can see myself settling on a nice Chord desk DAC, I cannot see myself with only an Oppo PM-1.... but at the same time 4-5 year sago I couldn't have seen myself purchasing basically everything I own now and decided to settle on.... So first I think I will start with the PM-1 and make it my business to hold onto it until I at least get a Mojo 2 to try with it and set my goal for a Hugo 2... Thank you!

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #3,702 of 3,729
final word if you have a mojo use it exclusively with pm1 until later.....my best advice. in fact the mojo/pm1 gave me total satisfaction at one point. best of luck. a used mojo can be found for peanuts now mark 2 has landed.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,703 of 3,729
found an oppo pm1 for around $1k. is it still a quality headphone in 2022 compared to newer competition for around the same price? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back