Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #3,571 of 3,729
considering a pm1 for my new chord hugo2. i'm worried about reports saying it's so easy to drive that amping the pm1 is not necessary. could someone set me straight here. many thanks. tried pm1 at richer sounds very nice.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3,572 of 3,729
considering a pm1 for my new chord hugo2. i'm worried about reports saying it's so easy to drive that amping the pm1 is not necessary. could someone set me straight here. many thanks. tried pm1 at richer sounds very nice.

It's true. When I had a unit several months ago to review it didn't, to my ears, make any difference if I used an amp or not I received the same beautiful and musical sound as if so played it straight from a phone. They'll benefit from a great dac sure, but imo not an amp.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,573 of 3,729
You can't have a dac without it going through an amp? lol

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,574 of 3,729
You can't have a dac without it going through an amp? lol

You are correct, but as I said, it won't benefit from the amp but it will from the dac. Therefore spend your money on the dac vs. upgrading an amp. or if you don't have an amp buy a cheap one like the Magni 2.

Edit: seeing as you've a Hugo 2, which is a combi, you're already fine and don't need to buy anything for the Hugo's dac is outstabding from what I've heard.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #3,575 of 3,729
many thanks. i hope my post did not come across as mr know it all. the hugo2 has an outstanding dac which in turn has the analogue output integrated with it. no seperate amp. when i demo'ed the pm1 it was with a ha1 which has a powerful toroidal powered amp. how come the pm1 did not sound overpowered here if amping is of little effect? many thanks. also the hugo2 can power hard to drive cans does it make any sense to pair a pm1 with it which doesn't benefit from the amp?

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #3,576 of 3,729
many thanks. i hope my post did not come across as mr know it all. the hugo2 has an outstanding dac which in turn has the analogue output integrated with it. no seperate amp. when i demo'ed the pm1 it was with a ha1 which has a powerful toroidal powered amp. how come the pm1 did not sound overpowered here if amping is of little effect? many thanks. also the hugo2 can power hard to drive cans does it make any sense to pair a pm1 with it which doesn't benefit from the amp?

If I had to guess, what you experienced is just the sound of the amp itself (which I've heard is fairly warm) influencing the headphone some. And buy the gear based off what you like. It doesn't matter if it's the "best pairing" if it sounds good to you screw what anyone else thinks. The PM-1 will sound amazing from your phone but even better through the Hugo 2 with its very impressive dac. The amp won't be pushing itself too hard due to the PM-1s efficiency but as you said it's MORE than enough power if you'd wanna push something more stringent.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #3,577 of 3,729
If I had to guess, what you experienced is just the sound of the amp itself (which I've heard is fairly warm) influencing the headphone some. And buy the gear based off what you like. It doesn't matter if it's the "best pairing" if it sounds good to you screw what anyone else thinks. The PM-1 will sound amazing from your phone but even better through the Hugo 2 with its very impressive dac. The amp won't be pushing itself too hard due to the PM-1s efficiency but as you said it's MORE than enough power if you'd wanna push something more stringent.
I can agree that the HA-1 is warm sounding especially paired with the PM-1. Results in a very lush, smooth sound. When I got rid of the HA-1 and plugged my PMs into the Mojo - the change in sound was immediately very apparent. So based on my experience the amp does have a direct impact on the PMs performance/sound.

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #3,578 of 3,729
I can agree that the HA-1 is warm sounding especially paired with the PM-1. Results in a very lush, smooth sound. When I got rid of the HA-1 and plugged my PMs into the Mojo - the change in sound was immediately very apparent. So based on my experience the amp does have a direct impact on the PMs performance/sound.

Hey, then try it out and see the results yourself. Only way to see.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,579 of 3,729
any ideas regarding hugo 1 with pm1? how was that pairing. i really like the pm1 but 1k for a headphone that generally doesn't need amping. my hugo2 is an amp and an impressive dac. ummmm

Aug 23, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,580 of 3,729
any ideas regarding hugo 1 with pm1? how was that pairing. i really like the pm1 but 1k for a headphone that generally doesn't need amping. my hugo2 is an amp and an impressive dac. ummmm
Mojo had a big impact on my PM1's. Don't know about Hugo but I'd guess that they both have similar sound signature. Mojo really opened mine up.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #3,581 of 3,729
just pulled the trigger on a pm1 this morning and mojo earlier this week. impressions by wednedsay. exciting times.

Sep 11, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #3,582 of 3,729
just pulled the trigger on a pm1 this morning and mojo earlier this week. impressions by wednedsay. exciting times.

Shoot yeah!!!!! I'm super jealous! I'll have a pair of these myself someday. I'm excited to hear your impressions of them!

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #3,583 of 3,729
My PM1 will be arriving in an hour. any general consensus as to which earpad provides the best sq or is it personal taste.

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #3,584 of 3,729
My PM1 will be arriving in an hour. any general consensus as to which earpad provides the best sq or is it personal taste.

I believe it's personal taste but I rsther loves the (having a brain fart with the name so bear with me) soft cloth pads. SUPER comfortable.

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,585 of 3,729
what about the expensive silver dragon cables from moon audio? i worry here as they might mess up oppo's intended final result?? but folk are saying bigger soundstage/depth etc?? stick with stock cable then i know i'm getting oppo's signature sound or might i miss out on improved sq? would have to have cable shipped in to uk. umm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back