Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,541 of 3,729
I'm looking for a headphone that would complement my Oppo PM-1? Budget about £500 max. As much as I'm totally overcome by the PM-1 sound, all warm, analogue and totally immersive sometimes I crave something a bit more energetic and neutral/analytical. Will be run through a Chord Mojo and laptop using JRiver. Have been reading the thread on the DT1990 Pro which sounds like a promising candidate. Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,542 of 3,729
I'm looking for a headphone that would complement my Oppo PM-1? Budget about £500 max. As much as I'm totally overcome by the PM-1 sound, all warm, analogue and totally immersive sometimes I crave something a bit more energetic and neutral/analytical. Will be run through a Chord Mojo and laptop using JRiver. Have been reading the thread on the DT1990 Pro which sounds like a promising candidate. Any suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

Yeah I would recommend the DT1990 or Amiron Home, both fairly neutral with the DT1990 having a more upfront and engaging sound, also slightly more neutral. Is there anywhere near you where you can try before you buy?

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #3,543 of 3,729

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

EditReport
+ QuoteReply
HD650? More dynamic, resolving than the PM-1 with more upper mid presence

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,544 of 3,729
I have found my Sennheiser HD-800's (with SR Mod) to be a wonderful complement to my Audio Zeniths (modded Oppo PM-1). I listen to both through the Chord Mojo and Chord DAVE, and they both match well to the detail and dynamics of the Chord DACs.

HD-800's go for $700-800 used, with another $20 or so for the SR mod (and 5 minutes to install). One of the best bargains to be had in this hobby of ours (IMO)

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3,545 of 3,729

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

EditReport
+ QuoteReply

I like the previous suggestions of used Sennheiser HD-800 or the HD-650, with better soundstage to be found in the HD-800. I might also add consideration of a used pair of Beyerdynamic T1. Similar dynamics to the HD-800 with a more closed soundstage.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3,546 of 3,729
Yeah I would recommend the DT1990 or Amiron Home, both fairly neutral with the DT1990 having a more upfront and engaging sound, also slightly more neutral. Is there anywhere near you where you can try before you buy?
Not really researched dealers yet but I'm sure there will be options near me.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,548 of 3,729
Interesting as having read through this thread - took a while! - I'd got the impression that the PM-1 was very similar to the 650 but better. May have read that wrong.
They're different sound signatures, PM-1 is more overly smooth, relaxing on the sense it's not dynamic. HD650 is more punchy, dynamic sounding and not as warm.

I have owned both and found them to compliment another. PM-1 was a night time headphone for me.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #3,549 of 3,729
I have found my Sennheiser HD-800's (with SR Mod) to be a wonderful complement to my Audio Zeniths (modded Oppo PM-1). I listen to both through the Chord Mojo and Chord DAVE, and they both match well to the detail and dynamics of the Chord DACs.

HD-800's go for $700-800 used, with another $20 or so for the SR mod (and 5 minutes to install). One of the best bargains to be had in this hobby of ours (IMO)
Must admit the 800 did cross my radar. Out if my price range but hadn't considered secind hand. Will do some research on eBay!!

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #3,550 of 3,729
They're different sound signatures, PM-1 is more overly smooth, relaxing on the sense it's not dynamic. HD650 is more punchy, dynamic sounding and not as warm.

I have owned both and found them to compliment another. PM-1 was a night time headphone for me.
In that case will add the 650's to my list. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,551 of 3,729
I highly recommend hifishark.com as a search aggregator. Set up your search and you'll get alerts when used equipment gets posted in various places. Used HD-800's are a shockingly good value, since they're basically equivalent to the HD-800s's once you apply the SR Mod

I did a pretty deep write up of my headphone quest (which ended in the PMx2 (aka PM-1 on steroids) and HD-800 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adv...-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end.824351/

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,552 of 3,729
I highly recommend hifishark.com as a search aggregator. Set up your search and you'll get alerts when used equipment gets posted in various places. Used HD-800's are a shockingly good value, since they're basically equivalent to the HD-800s's once you apply the SR Mod

I did a pretty deep write up of my headphone quest (which ended in the PMx2 (aka PM-1 on steroids) and HD-800 here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/adv...-head-first-into-the-head-fi-deep-end.824351/
Thanks, will have a read of your review later. I'm UK based so not sure if hi-fi shark is only US.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #3,553 of 3,729

Also take a look at the Aeons, $799. Can't speak to the combination with the Mojo, but check the Aeon thread.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,554 of 3,729
I find that my AKG 712Pros are the perfect companion to my Oppo PM-1s. Both are excellent, and yet different sounding. The 712Pros can be agressive and exciting, in a good way.

Aug 8, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,555 of 3,729

Well thats done it!! Got me thinking about Audio Zenith now. If I got it right, I can send my PM-1 to get modded? Not sure how expensive that would be sending from UK but your write up has certainly got me thinking. How do you rate the Elear as a companion for the PM-1 To provide a more airy sparkly treble experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back