Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
May 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #1,637 of 3,729
  Just listened to AIC: Unplugged. I was planning on just listening to a few tracks but before I knew I'd listened to the whole album. Wow, the pm-1 does live recordings very well. Guitar plucks, snare drum...spot on. 

If the pm-2 sounds this good at $700...watch out. PM-2 plus something like the Vali would be crazy good for that kind of money. 

They are really amazing with live rock recordings!

Yes, the PM-2 with the Vali will probably be a endgame setup for a lot of peoples.

One thing is sure though, if the PM-2 sound exactly like the PM-1, some companies will have to revise their strategy to remain competitive versus Oppo...

May 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,638 of 3,729

....... The Oppo succeeds at "musical connection" as good or better than anything I've heard. This includes the hd650, lcd2/3/x. 

You make me almost regret jumping on the LCD-XC. Quite often I pay the price for my impatience. Comparing the XC to my LCD-2 rev 2 I feel that the 2 sounds more muffled, but to be honest perhaps the XC has gone too far in the other direction with upper mids and treble. The XC can sound a bit harsh at times, I just really wanted a closed back LCD.

Now, after hearing your impressions, I'm positive I'll grab the PM-1 the instant I sell the LCD-2.

May 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,642 of 3,729
  Now to address the treble. This seems to be the most talked about and controversal aspect of this hp. While it's certainly not the ultimate in detail, ie hd800, the pm-1 wonderfully resolving IMO. Nor does the pm-1 create hd800 sound stage.

I just went through several classical recording and am now listening to Chloe Hanslip with the London Symphony Orchestra. The way she plays the violin is truly special. The pm-1 translates the emotion of the violin very well. There is good speed with the pm-1 and decay as well. This hp is able to translate complex passages easily and wonderfully. This is one of the flaws with the hd650 for me when it comes to classical music. There just wasn't enough speed there to sound natural on complex orchestral passages...they just became muddy to me. 

There is more detail and leading edge than the hd650 or lcd2 with the Oppo. The lcd2 has more visceral bass impact than the pm-1. The bass on the pm-1 is closer to the lcd3 with good refinement and textures to notes. 

I'm just spouting nonsense here as I haven't even auditioned the oppo but from what I've seen I have 2 areas of immediate concern:

1. The fit, they look like a semi over/on ear to me; are they comfortable (I vastly prefer over ear phones)?
2. The measurements look nice...but the treble seems to fall off a cliff...I'm not a basshead, like a good midrange and a slight sparkle in the treble but not too pronounced, e.g. HD-800 takes things a bit too far for my tastes.  How does the Oppo sound with for instance cymbals or a 7C piano note (attack, texture...)?

If the above are ok and certainly if the cheaper version comes out (I'll take a cardboard box and no frills, thank you) then at least an audition will have to make it to my agenda.  Glorious times for planars these last couple of years!

May 4, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,643 of 3,729
  Just listened to AIC: Unplugged. I was planning on just listening to a few tracks but before I knew I'd listened to the whole album. Wow, the pm-1 does live recordings very well. Guitar plucks, snare drum...spot on. 

If the pm-2 sounds this good at $700...watch out. PM-2 plus something like the Vali would be crazy good for that kind of money. 

Do you have the Vali? I'm interested in that combo. I heard the HD-650 on the Vali at the SoCAL meet-up, it was just great pairing!

May 4, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,644 of 3,729
Just 58mm*38mm inner diameter? Thats as small as the momentums if I remember correctly. I hope there is more space.

Definitely not as small I can guarantee that. My ears hurts quickly when wearing momentum but I can pretty much wear the Oppo all day. On especially long days some parts of my ear do get sore so its not a huge opening but really not momentum small.

May 4, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,645 of 3,729
  I'm just spouting nonsense here as I haven't even auditioned the oppo but from what I've seen I have 2 areas of immediate concern:

1. The fit, they look like a semi over/on ear to me; are they comfortable (I vastly prefer over ear phones)?
2. The measurements look nice...but the treble seems to fall off a cliff...I'm not a basshead, like a good midrange and a slight sparkle in the treble but not too pronounced, e.g. HD-800 takes things a bit too far for my tastes.  How does the Oppo sound with for instance cymbals or a 7C piano note (attack, texture...)?

If the above are ok and certainly if the cheaper version comes out (I'll take a cardboard box and no frills, thank you) then at least an audition will have to make it to my agenda.  Glorious times for planars these last couple of years!

1. There is no problem with fit for me. These are completely around the ear-circumaural. The interior of the pad seems about the same size as the Alpha pad if that helps.I posted the dimensions yesterday. 

2. Honestly, I am more of a "listen to it" guy than a chart guy. I trust my ears over a chart which seems to change depending on who did the measurements. Plus I've yet to sit down to listen to music and pull out a chart. The treble does not fall off a cliff. The pm-1 has much more detail than the hd650. Yesterday, I mentioned that it sounded similarly voiced to the lcd3. Now that I've got a fair bit of listening in, I'd say it's more similar to the lcd-x, with regard to treble. 

May 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #1,646 of 3,729
  Do you have the Vali? I'm interested in that combo. I heard the HD-650 on the Vali at the SoCAL meet-up, it was just great pairing!

Sorry, sold the Vali. I wouldn't worry too much about any of the Schiit amps. They should all do well. Pick one that has your preferred flavor and go for it. I would expect the Vali to be quite a good match. 

May 4, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,647 of 3,729
I just measured my velour pads - the inner oval is 60mm x 38mm - a little greater in height than what MattTCG measured.

Of no relevance to anyone else, my ears are neither pinched nor folded forward.  

The best answer for those concerned about fit is to have someone measure your ears, but even with slightly larger ears, folding them forward a little bit as you surround them with the cups would avoid any pinching.

In my opinion, an uncomfortable fit would be a no-qualms reason for invoking the 30-day return policy.

May 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,648 of 3,729
I am still a little surprised that there was not more clamp initially. Not that it's a problem but they are perfect for me out of the box. I expected to need to have them "break in" a little. The pads are not as deep as the Alpha or lcd line. Again, not a problem but just an observation. 

May 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,649 of 3,729
  I am still a little surprised that there was not more clamp initially. Not that it's a problem but they are perfect for me out of the box. I expected to need to have them "break in" a little. The pads are not as deep as the Alpha or lcd line. Again, not a problem but just an observation. 

so, after day one, and commencing day to, how are you feeling about the pm-1's ??

May 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,650 of 3,729

These are fully over ear, very slightly on ear at the bottom for me, they are very comfortable for extended listening periods.

The treble does not fall off a cliff.  I don't think anyone who has listened to these has said that. 

Originally Posted by MattTCG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. Honestly, I am more of a "listen to it" guy than a chart guy. I trust my ears over a chart which seems to change depending on who did the measurements. Plus I've yet to sit down to listen to music and pull out a chart. The treble does not fall off a cliff. The pm-1 has much more detail than the hd650. Yesterday, I mentioned that it sounded similarly voiced to the lcd3. Now that I've got a fair bit of listening in, I'd say it's more similar to the lcd-x, with regard to treble. 

Yes, treble is very much like the LCD-X. I was having a hard time telling them apart during comparisons with that can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back