Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #1,187 of 3,729
Guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like them that much :frowning2: Got mine a couple days ago and I think they went a bit overboard with the treble roll-off...they sound too closed and dark for me.

That said, I think they are a way better package than the LCD2...it's just that at this price I'm not willing to live with its flaws..got plenty of warm headphones already (at much lower prices).

Eagerly awaiting the HE-560 :)

edit: the whole package, build quality, comfort is awesome though...also cool they included a 1\8 cable..even though as some said its stupid short...

I don't know your tastes. That said, I'm not too surprised, and expected to hear this sentiment on occasion. No headphone is going to suit all tastes. I really like them, and lots of others seem to. If you require a bright or extremely airy can or a very large sound stage, these may not work for you. If you like the signature though, man are they nice. A really quick broad brush - if you like the midrange Grados more than the Senn HD6xx, you might or might not like the pm-1's. If you like the Senn's over the Grados, I think a better chance of liking the PM-1's. A broad brush, and only my experience as a data point, but maybe it will help a bit?

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #1,188 of 3,729
Was the lcd3 too heavy or just poorly distributed weight? I love the sound of the lcd3. I'm hoping that the pm-1 will just be somewhere in the ballpark between the hd650 and lcd3. Yes, I realize that there is a lot of territory there. 

Well I work in a weird position with my head not totally straight (I draw) and the weight issue of the LCD might have been amplified because of this...I just couldn't bear to have them on my head for any long period of time.

I might have made the PM-1 sound worse than they are in my post. But the best description I found in this thread was that they resemble a better HD650. While they do make some music sound beautiful (vocal range, etc), I am looking more for a jack of all trades.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,189 of 3,729
I don't know your tastes. That said, I'm not too surprised, and expected to hear this sentiment on occasion. No headphone is going to suit all tastes. I really like them, and lots of others seem to. If you require a bright or extremely airy can or a very large sound stage, these may not work for you. If you like the signature though, man are they nice. A really quick broad brush - if you like the midrange Grados more than the Senn HD6xx, you might or might not like the pm-1's. If you like the Senn's over the Grados, I think a better chance of liking the PM-1's. A broad brush, and only my experience as a data point, but maybe it will help a bit?

Based on everything you've just said, I'll love them. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,190 of 3,729
Well I work in a weird position with my head not totally straight (I draw) and the weight issue of the LCD might have been amplified because of this...I just couldn't bear to have them on my head for any long period of time.

I might have made the PM-1 sound worse than they are in my post. But the best description I found in this thread was that they resemble a better HD650. While they do make some music sound beautiful (vocal range, etc), I am looking more for a jack of all trades.

I think that you want something that resembles the darker signature of the lcd3 but more comfortable/lighter weight. Have you heard the new he560?

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,191 of 3,729

Well to be honest I expected to totally fall in love with them, and I tend to like darker HPs (HD650 , LCD's), but something about the PM-1 makes them feel too "closed" to me. Sorry I can't explain it better. Thankfully Oppo has a great 30 day return policy so everyone should just try them for themselves haha.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,193 of 3,729
Guess I'm one of the few that doesn't like them that much
frown.gif
Got mine a couple days ago and I think they went a bit overboard with the treble roll-off...they sound too closed and dark for me.

That said, I think they are a way better package than the LCD2...it's just that at this price I'm not willing to live with its flaws..got plenty of warm headphones already (at much lower prices).

Eagerly awaiting the HE-560
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: the whole package, build quality, comfort is awesome though...also cool they included a 1\8 cable..even though as some said its stupid short...

Don't give up on them too quickly. I found that they opened up after about 50-100 hours of use. Still not an HD800, but better than first listening. You've got 30 days. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,195 of 3,729
...also cool they included a 1\8 cable..even though as some said its stupid short...

This is a legitimate gripe if you wanted to use an OPPO provided cable, not an adapter or extension cable, for use with a computer or a desktop headphone amplifier that uses a 3.5mm jack. But the intent of this cable was to use it strictly for portable media devices. Cable length (snagging, management, etc) is a concern, so the cable is only 1.1m. The perfect length for putting a portable media device in your pocket or in your lap/tray table.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,196 of 3,729

This is a legitimate gripe if you wanted to use an OPPO provided cable, not an adapter or extension cable, for use with a computer or a desktop headphone amplifier that uses a 3.5mm jack. But the intent of this cable was to use it strictly for portable media devices. Cable length (snagging, management, etc) is a concern, so the cable is only 1.1m. The perfect length for putting a portable media device in your pocket or in your lap/tray table.

I, for one, really like that cable length for the reason mentioned.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,198 of 3,729

I still think slightly longer would have been better. I use it with my laptop and its a bit too short to comfortably move around and I doubt it would have really impacted portable use. Still, this is nitpicking and I could just use an extension or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back