Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,142 of 3,729
All depends what sound you are looking for besides HD650

I think that the he560/400i would be more complementary but I'm finding it hard to resist the temptation of the Oppo. 

I also hope HE-560 will be complementary to HD800 but PM-1 don't. Sorry for off topic but you making a mistake selling Crack

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #1,143 of 3,729
 Sorry for off topic but you making a mistake selling Crack

And if he is selling it to some of the HF members, that would go a long way in explaining a lot of what I am reading on this thread
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,144 of 3,729
Or he could like them and post positive impressions, like many initial critics have. Let's not create a negative assumption to begin with.

And if he hates them and says so, that's fine too. And it should be fine with everyone. No more coercion.

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #1,146 of 3,729
hey maxx134 - will get to hear this can at some stage but was wondering how the mids and highs compare to the w3000anv that you offloaded

I'm wondering how is it compared to ATH-W3000ANW?

Haha yes I know perfectly how both are..

The oppo reminds me of the w3000anv only in the sense that it is very natural and very musical in the mids..
The oppo bass is nice too.

In fact I would say that it's greatest strength (sounding natural) in mids, could also be its Achilles heel ..
Let me explain. .

The trebles are another story.
They integrate so tightly into the mids that they don't stand out and sparkle like most top tier cans in this OVER $1K price category. .

An example is the w3000anv has great trebles to compliment it's Euphoric mids.
The Beyer T1, the Senn HD800, the Fostex 600/900..
They all have great sparkling, even excessive trebles...

Compound that with the fact that
Most headphone gear out there has accommodation for "elevated" trebles, thru cables, tubes, and gear.

Yet not much the other way around.. If want a boost in trebles.

Even "monitor" cans like Sony7520 and Focal Spirit Pro that I owned had an upper end that is supposedly "flat" yet I would say has more treble energy than my oppo..

So I must assume this can was tailored to be smooth and easy for extended listening.

Rather than "neutral", it sounds "natural" , a unique signature for a can, and that's fine, yet..

The main caveat will be, like any can with it's "own signature",
It will portray its "own version" of the source.
So there is where YOU come in and decide for yourself if their signature is for you..

For me, I personally prefer more trebles than what it has to offer.
As I am used to in my ed8, th600, & hd800.
So I am hoping for the solution in pm2 or he560 ..
:p

Edit:
Reminder that all cans have their own signature and the PM1 mids have a strength and allure in the mids that none mentioned above have except the w3000anv. ..

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,148 of 3,729
I, too, am waiting for PM-2 impressions to pull the trigger myself, but since giving my loaner pair of the PM-1 back to its rightful owner I've missed it quite a lot.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #1,149 of 3,729
The pm-2 at $700 is certainly not cheap. I have mixed feelings about "stepping down" to a $700 with plastic materials and such. I suppose if it's good construction it would be fine. As long as the sound signature is maintained I guess I'd be okay with it. 

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #1,150 of 3,729
The pm-2 at $700 is certainly not cheap. I have mixed feelings about "stepping down" to a $700 with plastic materials and such. I suppose if it's good construction it would be fine. As long as the sound signature is maintained I guess I'd be okay with it. 

But isn't they should sound different because of different materials used?

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,152 of 3,729
Just to be clear, I do find the strength in the oppo in its natural sound of the mids.
Of the cans I tried,
Only my w3000anv did mids better..
Yet there are those that care more about bass or trebles, or clarity.
It does am excellent job but does not Excell over all in those departments.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #1,154 of 3,729
thanks for the comparison maxx134. gotta feeling that the pm-1's highs will be too rolled-off for me based on the fr measurements and impressions here. still wanna give it a listen tho.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,155 of 3,729
Haha yes I know perfectly how both are..

The oppo reminds me of the w3000anv only in the sense that it is very natural and very musical in the mids..
The oppo bass is nice too.

In fact I would say that it's greatest strength (sounding natural) in mids, could also be its Achilles heel ..
Let me explain. .

The trebles are another story.
They integrate so tightly into the mids that they don't stand out and sparkle like most top tier cans in this OVER $1K price category. .

An example is the w3000anv has great trebles to compliment it's Euphoric mids.
The Beyer T1, the Senn HD800, the Fostex 600/900..
They all have great sparkling, even excessive trebles...

Compound that with the fact that
Most headphone gear out there has accommodation for "elevated" trebles, thru cables, tubes, and gear.

Yet not much the other way around.. If want a boost in trebles.

Even "monitor" cans like Sony7520 and Focal Spirit Pro that I owned had an upper end that is supposedly "flat" yet I would say has more treble energy than my oppo..

So I must assume this can was tailored to be smooth and easy for extended listening.

Rather than "neutral", it sounds "natural" , a unique signature for a can, and that's fine, yet..

The main caveat will be, like any can with it's "own signature",
It will portray its "own version" of the source.
So there is where YOU come in and decide for yourself if their signature is for you..

For me, I personally prefer more trebles than what it has to offer.
As I am used to in my ed8, th600, & hd800.
So I am hoping for the solution in pm2 or he560 ..
tongue.gif

Edit:
Reminder that all cans have their own signature and the PM1 mids have a strength and allure in the mids that none mentioned above have except the w3000anv. ..

Thanks so much, mate...real appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back