Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #511 of 3,729
I think it is warmer than the he560 and many will consider it darker  and more similar the tone of Audeze LCD2.  I would not call it a dark headphone.  The early impression I am getting with the P1 it signature may be similar to the hd650 with better transparency.  The soundstage is better than the  original audeze lcd2 but not as wide as the lCD x and HE560.  I really liking it with the AK240.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #512 of 3,729
I think it is warmer than the he560 and many will consider it darker  and more similar the tone of Audeze LCD2.  I would not call it a dark headphone.  The early impression I am getting with the P1 it signature may be similar to the hd650 with better transparency.  The soundstage is better than the  original audeze lcd2 but not as wide as the lCD x and HE560.  I really liking it with the AK240.

Slightly better than the HD650? It's a 500$ headphone and the PM-1 1099 so quite expensive for just a marginal improvement. :frowning2:

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #516 of 3,729
Slightly better than the HD650? It's a 500$ headphone and the PM-1 1099 so quite expensive for just a marginal improvement.
frown.gif

it is much better than the HD650.  No where did I say it was a marginal improvement in my post.  The construction of the P1 is exceptional as well.
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #517 of 3,729
  ^^ Yes, but the pm-2 could hit the same mark and be much less expensive. 

The P2 is identical but has less features. No lambskin pads and probably cutting down on the cable as this one is occ copper and also other features included in the P1. I believe the sound signature and sound of the headphone will be almost identical

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #518 of 3,729
it is much better than the HD650.  No where did I say it was a marginal improvement in my post.  The construction of the P1 is exceptional as well.:D

"The early impression I am getting with the P1 it signature may be similar to the hd650 with better transparency. "
Sounds marginal to me :wink:

The P2 is identical but has less features. No lambskin pads and probably cutting down on the cable as this one is occ copper and also other features included in the P1. I believe the sound signature and sound of the headphone will be almost identical

If sound is the same because of the drivers then the PM-2 is a better deal.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #520 of 3,729
"The early impression I am getting with the P1 it signature may be similar to the hd650 with better transparency. "
Sounds marginal to me
wink.gif

Well you would need to hear the headphone before assuming it is marginal and since you have not heard it you should not assume it is.
tongue_smile.gif
I would think many would think for them the P2 would be the better deal. But for ones the better material may be what they want but it is excellent that Oppo is offering two models for the people wanting to spend less.

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #521 of 3,729
Well you would need to hear the headphone before assuming it is marginal and since you have not heard it you should assume it is.:tongue_smile: I would think many would think for them the P2 would be the better deal. But for ones the better material and it is excellent that Oppo is offering twoimodels for the  people wanting to spend less.

I did not assume anything I just read your impression and concluded on it, once the PM-2 will be available then I'll see if I can have an audition with it. I understand better material is nice but if it does not help in the sound quality then it's just extra expenses with little benefits.

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #524 of 3,729

Thanks for the impressions. LCD-2.2 was too warm for me. I thought even the HE-500 lacked in the upper mids and lower treble, despite the nice sparkle around 10KHz.

What I need, and would happily pay a decent sum for, is an improved HD600: similar frequency response (except for lows), but with better bass, detail, air and soundstage. Do you think HE-560 fits this description at all?

I've been using the HD600 for a decade. I recently tried HD800, HD700, HE-500 and LCD-2. I liked HE-500 the best, but even that was a little lacking in highs and upper mids. Any other options?

Apr 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #525 of 3,729
Sounds marginal to me
wink.gif

Well you would need to hear the headphone before assuming it is marginal and since you have not heard it you should not assume it is.
tongue_smile.gif

Exactly, first try them yourself than speak. For me you should compare them with LCDs and yes i heard PM-1, LCD-3 and LCD-X with the same setup at the NYC meet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back