Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #91 of 3,729

Link, or picture please, don't you see the recessed area in the cup?  Standard 2.5 mm plugs are flat on the end, the Oppo plug shows a stepped notch!  Have you tried using a standard 2.5 mm plug on a Sennheiser HD700, doesn't work their either.

Like I said look closely at the video that Mike posted, it will show you the recessed area in the cup, and the notch on the plug!

Give me a picture or a link, I have lots of cables I'd like to try on the PM-1, if I had that plug in my hands!

I'm simply saying that if aftermarket companies wanted to make a cable, they could. I don't see any reason a company couldn't copy the shape of that, and since 2.5mm mono connectors are nothing special, make aftermarket cables.

Now what you own now may not work, but that's not to say it can't happen for non OEM cables.

Why recess the male connector? Only Oppo can comment on that. My guess would be to protect the male connector, since if it terminated flat there, without the notch, it would be easy to bend the little 2.5mm male part.

But that's just a guess.

Thanks for the link, that looks exactly like the plug they use!

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #92 of 3,729

I think in the hifiguy video he said he's got the production version (?)

He did, yes, but he also said that he had forward the headphones to someone else for review. He did not have enough time with the final retail unit to really discuss the headphones in detail.

Two other Beta Testers have exhibited a similar stance. They want to make sure that they get some listening time in before they make some worthwhile posts.

I can infer, by their statements, that end result is going to be positive. They are just erring in the side of caution to ensure that the information that they do distribute is accurate. Accuracy > Speed, particularly if we can't purchase these cans yet.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #93 of 3,729
These are beautiful! Keeping an eye on this thread.
popcorn.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #94 of 3,729
It's my understanding that the final retail version is a further refinement of comfort from the beta versions we checked out.

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #96 of 3,729
  Will the 2.5mm mono jacks allow for aftermarket balanced cables, or is this an inherently unbalanced design?

Won't make a difference, as the mono jack provide the needed +, signal and - ground to each driver.  This is typical, you just need someone to build the cable with the correct mono jacks that will fit the recessed cups!

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #98 of 3,729
quite a few things were changed from beta to production so those who has the production version should give the headphones some quality ear time before commenting on a public forum.  That's my recommendation.  :)

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #99 of 3,729
Interesting that none of our early listeners/reviewers have any other planars to compare them to at all. Although didn't you have the Alpha Dog Hifiguy?

Considering that you don't want to comment on sound, have you got a scale to weigh the headphone or give us some kind of idea about wearing comfort and weight compared to some other headphones?

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #101 of 3,729
  Considering that you don't want to comment on sound, have you got a scale to weigh the headphone or give us some kind of idea about wearing comfort and weight compared to some other headphones?

Weight: 395 g (without cable)
Clamping Pressure: 5N

I have tried the PM-1, LCD-3 and HiFi Man HE-6 and found the PM-1 to be the most comfortable of the three.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #103 of 3,729
  quite a few things were changed from beta to production so those who has the production version should give the headphones some quality ear time before commenting on a public forum.  That's my recommendation.  :)

Agreed.

Interesting that none of our early listeners/reviewers have any other planars to compare them to at all. Although didn't you have the Alpha Dog Hifiguy?

I have the Alpha Dogs - a little bit apples and oranges, but not too bad.  I'm SF bay area / Sacramento area.  If anyone has a pair of the usual suspects, maybe a meet-up in the next 2 or 3 weeks...?

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #104 of 3,729

My Alpha Dog went to Dan for an upgrade.  Should have it back next week.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #105 of 3,729
OK... I've gone back to the tracks I used to test the past three beta versions, and I can say now that I am super pleased with these. The frequency response is perfectly balanced, clear sounding and the final release version is super comfortable. Listening to classical music, acoustic jazz, and well recorded and mixed rock music is a pleasure.

The music I used to judge the cans was the Ry Cooder box set, the ELO box set, Joni Mitchell box, tons of classical music and jazz and the the MFSL of Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. (If you want an eye and ear opening treat, listen to the opening of Waiting for Columbus on these cans. AMAZING.)

I also did test tone sweeps to determine the response. The previous beta version was stone flat all the way up from 25Hz to about 1.6kHz, and there was a slight bump up about 2dB at around 3kHz and 6kHz. The retail version I just got doesn't have those bumps. It is absolutely perfect. The Oppo people said that their quality control standards are going to guarantee that the response is consistent from copy to copy. So these cans are perfect right out of the box.

I've never heard headphones that sounded this good before. My speaker setup is better in 5:1, but for 2 channel, these Oppo cans are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back