Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #122 of 3,729
I have to agree with Jude's early impressions and comments from other beta testers.  The final version is spot on!  The things we had concerns about in beta testing were all addressed in this production version.  Well done Oppo!  

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #123 of 3,729
When you agree it sounds like a closed phone, do you think a narrow soundstage? I'd be curious to hear about how it compares to the fostex rp500. I liked the prototype I heard a lot as it sounded sweet too and very open (much more so than the th900).

But, the fact that these orthos are being voiced to not sound hard is a great news. If you can get good results from a dap or iphone type device, I may be sold!

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #124 of 3,729
The soundstage is exactly as it is recorded.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #125 of 3,729
Yes well, headphone soundstage is more or less believable depending on listeners "skills" & taste on one hand, and simply competence of the phone on the other hand. I guess my question was more in relative terms as I don't think i have ever experienced a perfect phone in that regard, just some striking differences in staging presentation depending on can type, their resolution and last but not least, their voicing.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #126 of 3,729
Yes well, headphone soundstage is more or less believable depending on listeners "skills" & taste on one hand, and simply competence of the phone on the other hand. I guess my question was more in relative terms as I don't think i have ever experienced a perfect phone in that regard, just some striking differences in staging presentation depending on can type, their resolution and last but not least, their voicing.

I find that only a select few headphones render soundstage properly. Most render depth as height, which sounds unnatural to my ears. The Pioneer Monitor 10 is the only exception I've heard so far. Perhaps try one, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, specifically its soundstage. Don't underestimate it simply because it's closed and old, it's really something special.

My friend claims the AKG Q701 renders depth properly too, though. Not entirely sure if I believe him; we'll see once he lends them to me for a listen.

On-Topic: Very interested in the Oppos now that I know they're all metal and heavy. Call me a sucker for solidly built equipment.

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #127 of 3,729
FedEx tracking shows mine will be arriving tomorrow.  Yay!

As with the prototypes we've been testing since December, I'll be comparing them to the HD600, HD650, HD800, and LCD-2 rev.1.  I have balanced cables for all of them, including the PM-1, but I'll have to return those soon (unless OPPO shines a little more generously than they have already, in exchange for our many hours of hard work / hard fun.)

rolleyes.gif

I want to go on record as saying that prior to an announcement we received a couple of days ago, we had no idea that we would be rewarded in any way - other than with a box of See's candies that OPPO sent us just before Christmas - and most of us handed those straight over to our wives or girlfriends.  
wink.gif

I will wait until I've spent some time with the retail version of the PM-1, but it's not at all too early to share that OPPO made the most of the Beta program - and then some. Their's a lot of evidence that they paid careful attention to every post we made to the Beta forum, answering lots of questions and asking us for specific opinions about many different topics that came up along the way - then responding to our opinions and suggestions with improvements that followed in subsequent prototypes. It feels great when you realize you've been, even in a small way, an "agent of change" in the design of something that ranks among the very best of its kind. 

It was also a genuine pleasure just to be involved in so well-managed a project, where OPPO's humility (in seeking hands-on consumer input, rather than designing in the vacuum of arrogance), patience (in their longsighted desire to put quality ahead of speed to market) and respect (where every suggestion was not only acknowledged but honored as worthy of discussion) made the most of having put that equipment into our hands for such a long-term evaluation.   In this day and age where companies pursue the current quarter's bottom line at the expense of their future reputation, alienating both prospective and loyal customers alike with half-baked goods and services, I can assure you that OPPO is operating on a different wavelength, entirely. 

Here's a photo taken way back in December.  Remember, those are prototypes pictured here - things have changed a little, cosmetically...

My dining table audio laboratory now includes the HD650, a Resonnessence Concero, a Beresford Bushmaster MkII, and a Schiit Vali.

(I cannot respond to any questions regarding the HA-1.)

More later!

biggrin.gif

Mike

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #128 of 3,729
Sounds like the PM-1 doesn't have enough treble for me ;/ I love airy presentation and so far it seems it sounds like it is a bit closed in this regards.
I'll be leaning towards the 560 for now but I'll reserve my final judgement for when there are more impressions.

Apr 5, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #129 of 3,729
The soundstage is exactly as it is recorded.

think that was a serious question man :wink:

When you agree it sounds like a closed phone, do you think a narrow soundstage? I'd be curious to hear about how it compares to the fostex rp500. I liked the prototype I heard a lot as it sounded sweet too and very open (much more so than the th900).

kinda surprised by that coz every planar magnetic i've heard didn't sound all that open

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #131 of 3,729
kinda surprised by that coz every planar magnetic i've heard didn't sound all that open

That was a direct comparison between the (open back) planar prototype and the (closed) th900. I couldn't say today if the planar prototype sounded open along the lines of my rig or an Hd800...

Apr 5, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #132 of 3,729
That only makes me more interested in the TH500RP considering from what I heard the TH900 was very very open sounding, more than any other closed I've heard - more open than the HE500 and LCD2 to me.

I'd say that the TH500RP, HE560 and PM-1 are all on my wishlist for audition and I'm very keen on one of the three. Not considering Audeze as they were not comfortable enough for me. The PM-1 makes me very very interested considering they sound like they a bit darker.

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #133 of 3,729
That was a direct comparison between the (open back) planar prototype and the (closed) th900. I couldn't say today if the planar prototype sounded open along the lines of my rig or an Hd800...

okay tho i've only heard open backed planar magnetic cans anyways

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #134 of 3,729
  Now that the PM-1 is out.  Let's start our listening impressions and appreciation comments here.  The original thread is crazy long and may be hard for new to Head-Fi members to learn about how this headphone sounds.

**** Update ****

Unboxed!

Very nice presentation, packaging, the wooden box and the headphones. You just don't feel like taking them out, I would be careful not to scratch them. I was also surprised how small they look compared to other planar designs I have seen. I can certainly warm up to them. Calling it useable for mobile devices presuppose that they are portable, to me, that might be stretching a little even if they look attractive. They still look bulky for commuting, but amazing for home or office use.

Thanks Mike for the quick unboxing video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back