Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #151 of 3,729
  I don't have a TH600 but my understanding is it is the same as Denon D7000.  

Oppo PM-1 is much easier to love.

PM-2 should love the same as PM-1

I was actually surprised to learn that the PM-2 headphone cups and drivers to be the same construction, if this is the case (I am not putting down the PM-1) it's the deal of the century from Oppo. I agree that the way the PM-1 model is built, it's hard not to love but if you are budget conscientious, having a similar sound signature is a bonus.

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #152 of 3,729
I wouldn't be surprise if the PM-2 and the Pono will be an endgame setup 
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #155 of 3,729
Choo Choo... Too soon!
It's looking too good to be true... A $700 headphone outperforming all the headphones under $2000 with incredible sensitivity is almost suspicious... I smell a conspiracy!

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #156 of 3,729

This new headphone by OPPO is beginning to sound like an industry wide deal changer to me. Could it put headphone amp makers out of business?

Does anyone know where these headphones are manufactured? they sure look like Quality Control was a top priority. Looking forward to more comments.

bigshot can certainly speak for himself, but in case you're not aware of context, just realize that the statement is coming from someone who doesn't really believe in (most) amps making a difference on the sound in general (you can debate whether or not that's true elsewhere). So this is just saying that for whatever listening levels he was using, those devices were loud enough.

But yeah, a planar magnetic, what with the resistive load, is less of a troublemaker for amps than other headphones, if reasonably efficient.

My point is that you probably shouldn't interpret this as something of a breakthrough or something that will change your opinions on amps and your search for one if you're looking for one.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #158 of 3,729
  Someone able to take close up pics of the drivers without the pads on please? Would be interesting to see, they look very different.

I made a screencapture from Hifiguy's video:

It's out of focus though. Someone with the PM1 on hand needs to take some high resolution photos of the drivers with the earpad off.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #159 of 3,729
Apr 5, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #160 of 3,729
Both short and long cables, and an actual portable carrying case are great accessories, and should be included with every headphone above a certain price level.

But I must say that the environmental consciousness shown off by the recycled jean material of the portable carrying case is in stark contrast with the carbon emissions required to make that super fancy yet rather useless wooden box.

I think I'll try both the PM-1 and HE-560 before making up my mind.

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #161 of 3,729
  Wow the PM-2 look very nice!

http://www.oppodigital.com/future/PM-2_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

$699 for a pair of headphone that will probably rival with the LCD-X/LCD-3/HE-6...

I want to know how the bass response is.  Someone said it is better than the HE-6, which if you listen to DubstepGirl, it is the BEST bass she has even heard (including TH900).  And others say this is as flat as a ruler with no spikes. 

Apr 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #162 of 3,729
Pfft... anyone that believes the hype of anything gets what they deserve. That said, the popcorn will be flowing from my bucket as I follow what goes on this thread.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #164 of 3,729

This new headphone by OPPO is beginning to sound like an industry wide deal changer to me. Could it put headphone amp makers out of business?

Does anyone know where these headphones are manufactured? they sure look like Quality Control was a top priority. Looking forward to more comments.

I don't think any company in the hi-fi world cares more about the build quality and quality assurance than OPPO. During the Beta Christopher Vick, the CEO, took all of our suggestions to heart and the team made some subtle but excellently crafted changes that I didn't even know I needed until they were made.

I will be receiving my pair within a the week and will definitely fast track a review for all of you guys.

Edit: Christopher Vick is the product manager, not CEO!

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #165 of 3,729
Someone said it is better than the HE-6, which if you listen to DubstepGirl, it is the BEST bass she has even heard (including TH900).  And others say this is as flat as a ruler with no spikes.

Flat as a ruler with no spikes *is* the best bass you've ever heard. The Oppos have flat response down to 25Hz. That means that the bass is deep and balanced. No midbass hump muddling up the sound. Instead, it's totally clear. When you hear the pluck of an acoustic bass, it opens up as it goes from the higher bass of the pluck to the reverberation below. With electronic bass, the fact that it goes all the way down to the edge of human hearing means that whatever is on the recording, you hear. Super low bass. The bass on the Oppos is the most remarkable thing about them. If you listen to a symphony orchestra with kettle drums, it blows you away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back