Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #736 of 3,729
  I wonder what kind of pairing that the Vali and pm-1 would make. 

I concur. From my communications with zilch0md and others, I gather that most people have been enjoying them the most out of more neutral amps than the Vali. There's also the possibility of some noise floor issues with the little Schiit unit because the PM-1 is so sensitive. Zilch0md has a Vali, but he's been using his PM-1 with the Bushmaster and the Stepdance for the most part.

However, if you really like a warm sound signature, that combination or something similar with a higher noise floor could make some sweet sounds.

Thanks ssrock64 - your assessment of my experience is pretty good, as written above.  I'd like to add that the Vali does raise the noise floor a bit - it's not as transparent as the Stepdance or Bushmaster MkII integrated amp. The thing to note is that the Vali kind of softens the harshness of the HD800 treble, only as heard with solid state amps that are less than ideal for the HD800. And I find that the PM-1's resolution is fine enough that I can hear that same softening applied by the Vali, when it's really not necessary for the PM-1 (or at least, not wanted by me). The Vali surely has plenty of power for the PM-1, and it does inject a bit of that organic tubiliciousness, but the Vali is a hybrid, and although it doesn't really sound like a tube amp with the PM-1 - it does sound something like a solid state amp sitting on the far side of a very good tube buffer.  

Anyway, I like the sound of the PM-1 with the Vali, but again, it holds back some of the detail that the PM-1 (and the HD800) can deliver, so as you've said, I prefer the PM-1 with more transparent solid state amps - just my tastes talking.

Does the PM-1 leak sound way too much to be used in public settings like on a train or plane...or at midnight when you can't sleep but don't want to disturb the household with music listening? This is supposedly an open can, but some describe it as sounding sort of closed, and being relatively portable for a planar, which makes me wonder about the leakage level. 

A while back someone posted that they estimate the PM-1 isolates by something like 15 dB.  I disagree. It's not as open as my LCD-2, but nearly as much. I can pause my music, answer my mobile phone, and carry on a conversation - with the PM-1s still covering my ears, if that tells you anything.  I've tried using them at work, but  it's a no go. I can hear everything going on around me. I wouldn't try to use the PM-1 on a commuter train, for example.  My Sennheiser Amperiors are much better for isolation.

Mike

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #737 of 3,729
The P1 sound fantastic on the AK240. Really pretty amazing to say the least but Mike is right you cant use it on a train or in the office unless you want everyone to hear the music. Maybe Oppo will make a closed version because with the AK240 many will feel that this is all they will ever need. I have started to work on review and will hav eit done by the end of next week. I will psot the link when it is completed.

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #739 of 3,729
OMG does anyone have the dark red wood case the production unit comes in??..
OMG look as the gloss!

There's enough wood here to make a few audio technica woodies! Lol

Apr 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #740 of 3,729
Wow check out how the leather pads shine!:

Woohoo!
Even shows some green reflection of my green bulb I have on..
I use that light for listening in my room instead of normal light..
And no, I won't get into lighting affecting your hearing! Lol

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #741 of 3,729
Wow check out how the leather pads shine!:

Woohoo!
Even shows some green reflection of my green bulb I have on..
I use that light for listening in my room instead of normal light..
And no, I won't get into lighting affecting your hearing! Lol

Are they circumaural?

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #742 of 3,729

Yup, they look pretty sweet huh.   The real gorgeousness is inside the box though.  
tongue_smile.gif

OMG does anyone have the dark red wood case the production unit comes in??..
OMG look as the gloss!

There's enough wood here to make a few audio technica woodies! Lol

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #743 of 3,729
OMG I forgot to peel off that plastic over the cups!

Woohoo what a nice sound!
I can't believe this is sounding this good straight out the box and on my Galaxy Note3 while I setup my woo..
I'll be MIA listening for a bit Lol.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #745 of 3,729
  Does anyone have both the PM-1 and Beyerdynamic T1?  If so, can contrast and compare them?

I will as soon as my PM-1 arrives on Friday.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #749 of 3,729
AK240 is fabulous, while I don't have an AK120, I can say that the AK240 alone will easily replace the vast majority of portable systems.  Its feature content is huge, it actually works, plays everything natively, and with the advantage of DSD and a balanced amp it can overcome the fact that it's not a multi-piece system with a standalone amp.  It drives all my headphones really well when balanced.  It is well worth it.

Loving my PM-1s today, they are incredible for rock music.  Don't expect a full review, but they have my full support.  They deserve their spot next to my LCD3, HD800, Alpha Dogs, and K812.  These cans are all so good that it's really hard to compare and rank them.  But when you throw in the fair price, light weight, portability, and ease of driving, they are a good deal.  Alpha Dogs are a fantastic value too, but they're less portable & harder to drive.

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #750 of 3,729
  I'm almost afraid to ask (and it is OT), but is the AK240 worth the $1K premium over the AK120? 

Back on topic - you seem to be raving about the HE560s on that thread, but I don't hear the same enthusiasm for the PM-1 over here...my imagination? 

If you want DSD I guess it would be. I have not heard the AK120 but the DSD on the AK240 is really something to listen to. Not sure about the rest. The P1 is is outstanding and I have  full review in the works. The P1 is outstanding and the bass is more extended than the hE560 and build is also better with the P1. The HE560 does a bigger soundstage with more extension in the treble and  detail extraction is really excellent. There are pluses and minuses on both. It depends more of what your looking for. The HE560 tonality and soundstage make it more suited for classical than the P1.  The P1 sounds much better on portable devices and has a more user friendly cable for portable players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back