Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Nov 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #691 of 2,563
  The price hasnt been fixed yet, but there's a very good chance its under US$1K. The quality of the prototype is so impressive that this piece will change the game.

Never paid more than $20 for my orthos, but roll out the PM-1 at less than $100 and the game may change.

I did the math, by the way, a few days ago, and found that speculation of price made up about 20% of this thread.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #692 of 2,563

Never paid more than $20 for my orthos, but roll out the PM-1 at less than $100 and the game may change.

I did the math, by the way, a few days ago, and found that speculation of price made up about 20% of this thread.

Less than $100? Not a chance in hell, the cost of production will likely be greater than $100. Typical profit margins are 30 - 40% with electronics, or so friends of mine in the distribution/retailing tell me. The manufacturers have tons of fixed costs, plus R&D costs so despite what people think, they aren't making massive mark-ups. If they tried that, they would be out-competed on price quickly. I know we all talk about how much money a flagship headphone costs compared with say a mid-tier model, but do any of us know the real fixed cost of bringing these products to market? I would be shocked if the manufactuer makes even a margin of 100% profit at their full wholesale price. However, I certainly could be wrong (just ask my wife) so I am not presenting my ideas as fact.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #693 of 2,563
  Jude, while I'm not an active member here, and have no intention of becoming one, I have to commend you on the many interesting and fun video reviews, especially of the recent Shure models, earlier with Audeze, and the subject OPPO cans. I know that many on this post will disagree with you over your assessments. I don't. You are correct in saying that many cans and in-ears are boosted (and I say, because of that are preferred by those with hearing issues.) The problem with reviewing any kind of hi fi is the lack of context. Not a lack of recordings or variety in recordings. Not for lack of opinions - as in everyone has a belly button. The context is familiarity with live sound and the real sound of instruments and voices in various rooms.

Without touting my horns, I go back with headphones a long way, even to having had dinners with the then head of Sennheiser in the late sixties, Horst Ankermann; having built several tube ESL headphone amps with Julius Futterman in his lab on West 72nd Street in NY City in the eighties, and having worked as a pro in several areas of the industry, as well as 15 years as a TAS reviewer. I attend live concerts as a guest of an unnamed-here world class music school regularly.

As for the comment from one of your posters to which this is a reply, I'm afraid I have to agree with his overall assessment quoted below; and lightening up about it is fine if one needed to continue a narrative that is not constructive. Unfortunately, continuing the narrative is not the solution.  HeadFi, instead of having become a well of wisdom, progress, useful knowledge and integrity, has become a dick-measuring contest for half deaf teens whose eardrums have been blown out by years of high volume, distorted treble and bass boosted listening. Yet they bloviate about everything that is not so and get insulted by everything that is....especially knowledge.

Your reader wrote what is so: "This whole forum has become a cesspool of misinformation and speculation with practically no real news or technical discussion to be found.

So time consuming to dig through all the garbage to find any worthwhile information on upcoming products."

You know what I say Jude? Your critic is half wrong. There is news here. Otherwise he is on target.

If a person tells you you're drunk, just ignore him. If a second person tells you you're drunk, maybe, just maybe, pay some attention. And if a third person tells you you're drunk, maybe it's time to lay down...or at least lay low. The reader who made the comment above has something useful to say and maybe, just maybe, it's worthy of a listen and even more worthy of website reform.

Again, thanks for all the good work you're doing and perhaps you can encourage your readers to think ahead of the box wrapped around their heads.

I had made a copy of this post just in case it doesn't reach you. I'll get it to you directly.

Words of wisdom from a junior head-fier :wink:

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #694 of 2,563
  Words of wisdom from a junior head-fier :wink:

Sort of, but not really. Who is this person to tell us what the proper use of our community is? If people enjoy such contact that is their right, and further, there is plenty of technical information throughout the various forums, and much of it is quality and accurate information. If this community was limited to simply discussing the cut and dry technical side of the hobby there would be few of us around. We congregate here to tell stories and to share our passion for this hobby, and I won't be chidded for that by somebody I don't even know. Yep, I'm fine with some wasted chatter and banal discussions of how much a headphone might cost. Of course, if I wasn't, I could find another thread or go elsewhere on the Internet. Personally, I'm glad that such a judgmental and harshly opinionated person doesn't want to spend time here with us (not you brat, the OP you were talking about).

Nov 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #695 of 2,563
Rob Ford?

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #698 of 2,563

Are there any impressions you're allowed to share? How would you say it compares to other planars from manufacturers such as Audeze and Hifiman?

I've asked the distributor if I could share my thoughts and he didn't have any problems. The only thing is that this version I have in my hands is an older version prototype of which from my understanding the newer prototype improves considerably over the old. However I also never got a chance to listen to the newer prototype as I understand it's no longer in the hands of the distributor.

Therefore I'm wondering if I'll there's any point in me conveying my thoughts on an obsolete sound signature. I can comment on the non aesthetic aspects of the headphone (as i think there's little changes there - but maybe just some minor changes).

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #699 of 2,563
  The last day of my affair with the PM1. As my colleague said today, "has a very tubey sound".

Such pretty photos. These polished woods are so shiny, they look like its been cut from the same wood as a Steinway grand piano. Gotta get my hands on one these babes so I can use the wooden box to store my love letters from my previous gal friends and affairs ... wife. I am going to listen to these tubey music late at night while caressing the box...

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #700 of 2,563
  The last day of my affair with the PM1. As my colleague said today, "has a very tubey sound".

What do you mean by tubey?

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #701 of 2,563

What do you mean by tubey?

Probably talking about traits shared by tube amplifiers relative to solid-state amps. Smoothed-over, warm, bloom in lower end, soft treble.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #702 of 2,563
Only just caught up to the thread. Kinda miffed that the headphone is almost certainly not going to hit the $399 or under mark. Not with a swanky box like that. Back to hoping Yamaha decide to roll out a decently priced planar in the near future instead of these (presumably) exorbitantly priced new TOTLs.

That said, tube sound...not my thing so regardless of price, these are probably off the table for me.

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #703 of 2,563
  Probably talking about traits shared by tube amplifiers relative to solid-state amps. Smoothed-over, warm, bloom in lower end, soft treble.

Translated = capacitors, not tubes.
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #704 of 2,563

I've asked the distributor if I could share my thoughts and he didn't have any problems. The only thing is that this version I have in my hands is an older version prototype of which from my understanding the newer prototype improves considerably over the old. However I also never got a chance to listen to the newer prototype as I understand it's no longer in the hands of the distributor.

Therefore I'm wondering if I'll there's any point in me conveying my thoughts on an obsolete sound signature. I can comment on the non aesthetic aspects of the headphone (as i think there's little changes there - but maybe just some minor changes).

Well, you could convey your comments on what you heard, all of us realizing that it will only get better
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #705 of 2,563

Nice. I've never heard a headphone with such characteristics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back