Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Apr 2, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #1,351 of 2,563
The email from Oppo mentions that they have been working with beta testers over the last few months.

Anyone here a beta tester? Time to spill the beans.  How do these bad boys sound? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,353 of 2,563
I don't see how lambskin might be a better choice when you realize that most leather is poisoned with chromium: https://www.google.com/search?q=leather+poisoned+chromium

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #1,354 of 2,563
  PM-2:

It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance.

Then why have the PM-1?  Sounds like the same headphone - just with a higher price tag?!?!

Am I the only one that doesn't get it?

Luxury without compromise, comes to mind. Look at watches, for example. The time piece (ie. internal components necessary for keeping proper time) will be identical across a watch line, but the face and band of the watch are different. The surrounding components are more expensive, while not interfering with the actual quality or accuracy of the time piece. People who want the best will pay extra for for the look, the feel, and the prestige. For those who just want raw performance, they will forgo the diamond encrusted faces and gold bands, and purchase the normal standard model with the standard face and steal band.

The PM-1 and PM-2 are mechanically the same, with the flourishes separating the two products. If you need the absolute best, you go with the PM-1. Otherwise, go with the PM-2.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,355 of 2,563
Lambskin leather does not justify the price difference..
Anyway it is very interesting

It goes well beyond just the lambskin leather. That is just one example of how the headband and the ear pads adds to the additional price of the PM-1. But it goes beyond that into aspects that will include things like the packaging, the materials used for the entire headphone, and even the cables included. There is a lot you are getting with the PM-1 versus the PM-2, but the amount of utility you get is completely up to you. If you just want raw performance, the PM-2 is an incredible headphone. If you want the whole package, plus finishings and wooden case and all, then you will go with the PM-1.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,356 of 2,563
If a normal markup of the products I sell at retail warrants a $1099 price point, I over-ride it. I either price it at $1199 and offer a rebate or coupon, or at $999 if it's still worth carrying at the lower margin. That $1099 is just awkward on a tag; perhaps it'll work better on the web.

That said, I'm anxious to see how these sound :)

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,357 of 2,563

What's with the attitude? I was actually quoting the email, which did not include that additional information.

I am sorry if I offended you. I didn't get the E-Mail, so I was assuming that you were quoting from the Press Release which had answered your question pretty directly.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #1,358 of 2,563
  If a normal markup of the products I sell at retail warrants a $1099 price point, I over-ride it. I either price it at $1199 and offer a rebate or coupon, or at $999 if it's still worth carrying at the lower margin. That $1099 is just awkward on a tag; perhaps it'll work better on the web.

OPPO is still pretty much direct-to-customer, so it is not that surprising that their pricing doesn't take retail into consideration.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #1,359 of 2,563

It goes well beyond just the lambskin leather. That is just one example of how the headband and the ear pads adds to the additional price of the PM-1. But it goes beyond that into aspects that will include things like the packaging, the materials used for the entire headphone, and even the cables included. There is a lot you are getting with the PM-1 versus the PM-2, but the amount of utility you get is completely up to you. If you just want raw performance, the PM-2 is an incredible headphone. If you want the whole package, plus finishings and wooden case and all, then you will go with the PM-1.

Interesting.

I'd guess (well, I hope) the pads and cables on the two models would be compatible.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #1,360 of 2,563
The PM-2 is great news, since it sounds like it lowers the price of the headphone $400 without a drop in performance. I'd guess the PM-2 build quality will be at or likely above the current HifiMan quality, so I can't see it being a huge sacrifice.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #1,363 of 2,563
  I know someone who heard them at the CES this year and he told me that their sound signature is very similar to the LCD-3.

It will be good. :wink:

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,364 of 2,563
  I know someone who heard them at the CES this year and he told me that their sound signature is very similar to the LCD-3.

That's not the final signature. I had that with me at home for a week before returning to Oppo. Since then Oppo's had quite at least one but probably more like 2-3 revision updates. Jude/Currawong got to hear one revision update in the Tokyo Fujiya Autumn Festival on Oct 29th.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,365 of 2,563
  PM-2:

It utilizes the same planar magnetic driver, the same acoustic design principles and tuning techniques, the same tight tolerances for quality control, and its lower price is achieved without sacrificing acoustic performance.

Then why have the PM-1?  Sounds like the same headphone - just with a higher price tag?!?!

Am I the only one that doesn't get it?

Maybe it's like the Grado SR300 of old.......same drivers as the HP-1 but less exotic housing.

The email from Oppo mentions that they have been working with beta testers over the last few months.

Anyone here a beta tester? Time to spill the beans.  How do these bad boys sound? 
biggrin.gif

Maybe testers who are on beta blockers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back