Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Jan 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #977 of 2,563
  personally i want one headphone that sound better compared to the stax sr-009 or the hifiman he-6 and costs 1.000 euros

Personally, I want to pay $10 for the next HE90 that comes on eBay. Alas, things don't work that way.

Jan 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #978 of 2,563
  I'm just gonna say this...I hope they offer something that knocks Audeze and Hifiman down a notch or two in the Head-Fi community. Audeze headphones have been routinely criticized for their lack of comfort and they bring out two new near-$2000 headphones with the same flawed design. To me, THAT is not listening. 

Amen, brother.  

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #979 of 2,563
  Personally, I want to pay $10 for the next HE90 that comes on eBay. Alas, things don't work that way.

me too
biggrin.gif
 but with the amplifier

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #980 of 2,563
I think the problem with those kind of headphone is magnet weight..

funny enough my koss esp-950 weight 260g hehehe so light and comfy really..

sadly their amp suck and electrostatic amps to replace the E90 amp cost too much (and dont even have the same connector)

soundstage and imaging is also not that good (not sure if its the amp)
bass extension is very good while bass slam is too limited (could be amp or magnet)

but the rest is awesome and lifetime warranty..

i'm looking for other comfy heapdhone now with everything done right... but those koss esp-950 will surely always give a challenge to other headphone in terms of mid/high resolution and clarity. (high could be a little more airy but most of the time it's the dac fault for lack of airyness or added sibilance)

---
wish i could compare the best setup with the Taket H2+ , HD800, ESP950 ,SR-009, Float (electrostats), kingsound electrostats headphone also , and those oppo

---

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #981 of 2,563
Ooooh hifiman also goes to a lighter weight. I wonder how these will compare. Though these definitely have a nicer look :3

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #982 of 2,563
Ooooh hifiman also goes to a lighter weight. I wonder how these will compare. Though these definitely have a nicer look :3

Newcomer Oppo vs. Heavyweight Hifiman   - That will be an interesting battle, but I think Fang will come out on top. 
popcorn.gif

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #983 of 2,563
Newcomer Oppo vs. Heavyweight Hifiman   - That will be an interesting battle, but I think Fang will come out on top. 
popcorn.gif

I don't know about that. The Oppo does not look like it would fall apart if you looked at it sideways..

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #984 of 2,563
I think build quality goes to oppo then sq goes to hifiman. We'll have to see though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #985 of 2,563
Newcomer Oppo vs. Heavyweight Hifiman   - That will be an interesting battle, but I think Fang will come out on top. :popcorn:
And don't stop there. Saw another thread that McIntosh has also stepped into the headphone game. Looks like Oppo's not the only non-headphone audio company to step into the headphone arena in 2014.

With KEF last year and what we're seeing this year kinda getting the hint that maybe the big speaker (& related) industry is ramping up the personal audio more aggressively than in the past?

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #986 of 2,563
And don't stop there. Saw another thread that McIntosh has also stepped into the headphone game. Looks like Oppo's not the only non-headphone audio company to step into the headphone arena in 2014.

With KEF last year and what we're seeing this year kinda getting the hint that maybe the big speaker (& related) industry is ramping up the personal audio more aggressively than in the past?

McIntosh?!

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #987 of 2,563

We've had some debuts that were actually impressive in the past year, as opposed to the usual crap that we used to see when speaker companies first started getting into the headphone industry again when Beats became big around 2009.

KEF, Martin Logan, and PSB have all put out some rather impressive products.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #988 of 2,563
We've had some debuts that were actually impressive in the past year, as opposed to the usual crap that we used to see when speaker companies first started getting into the headphone industry again when Beats became big around 2009.

KEF, Martin Logan, and PSB have all put out some rather impressive products.
Argh, I'm so stupid. It's a headphone amp, not headphone. My apologies folks.

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #989 of 2,563
So everyone is entering headphone market like a bunch of zombies jumping into an alive human (as I wrote on other thread, I may be able to hear that amp as well.)

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #990 of 2,563

If McIntosh® is entering the headphone arena, they'll almost certainly have at least one model compatible with portable devices - the LD/HP transducer family is legendary in home audio.  I'd like to read how the first LD/HP headphones fare against existing summit-fi dynamics from AKG®/Harman®, Sennheiser® and beyerdynamic®, in addition to pre-existing planar-magnetic models, the Oppo® PM-1 (assuming production models are available for review), and the benchmark-holding STAX® SR-009 Earspeaker™ electrostats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back