OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 8, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #4,321 of 4,883
What I mean is, from what Oppo told me, most people are not having issues. Still, that doesn't mean they don't exist and fixing the issue is important to the people affected. People who have been affected have been vocal on this thread.

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #4,322 of 4,883
Hmm. I might try one next week. It's just that I do not want to order one if I'd probably have to return it anyway (which I could here in the EU - but I do not want to hurt the dealer).

Apr 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #4,324 of 4,883
What I mean is, from what Oppo told me, most people are not having issues. Still, that doesn't mean they don't exist and fixing the issue is important to the people affected. People who have been affected have been vocal on this thread.

After limited testing in the NYC subways, I have not had problems.  

However, I'm glad I did not install iOS 10.3.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #4,325 of 4,883
Well my little experiment of putting aluminum foil as shielding *inside the case* didn't completely work. I had a few dropouts on the subway, and there seemed to be more pickup of interference. So I took it out.

Next thing to try is the copper tape people use for shielding inside guitars, but on the outside of the HA2SE's case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1XNY1E/

I'm hopeful this will work, since the addition of aluminum foil to the outside of the case completely stopped the dropouts for me. 

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #4,326 of 4,883
  Well my little experiment of putting aluminum foil as shielding *inside the case* didn't completely work. I had a few dropouts on the subway, and there seemed to be more pickup of interference. So I took it out.

Next thing to try is the copper tape people use for shielding inside guitars, but on the outside of the HA2SE's case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1XNY1E/

I'm hopeful this will work, since the addition of aluminum foil to the outside of the case completely stopped the dropouts for me. 

Could you do an experiment... try not using USB and connect it by mini-jack to "line in" only. And see if it still drops out.

Apr 8, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #4,327 of 4,883

I think that any results you received by using aluminum foil were coincidental. Copper tape would be more plausible.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #4,328 of 4,883
I think that any results you received by using aluminum foil were coincidental. Copper tape would be more plausible.

gonna disagree with you on the coincidental thing.

i take the same subway to work every day. it drops at the same places every time. Added foil, no more drops for weeks. Removed, drops came back in the same spot.

Apr 8, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #4,329 of 4,883
That's what coincidence is. It seems to be related, but actually isn't. Just spreading out a sheet of regular aluminum foil between the units isn't going to block any RFI though. It's kind of like the people who put aluminum foil in their baseball caps to block radio waves from their brain! :joy:

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #4,330 of 4,883
That's what coincidence is. It seems to be related, but actually isn't. Just spreading out a sheet of regular aluminum foil between the units isn't going to block any RFI though. It's kind of like the people who put aluminum foil in their baseball caps to block radio waves from their brain! :joy:

Aluminium is going to block interference in somewhat the same way as copper tape (it is used in many applications - as long as it's highly conductive - aluminium is 4th after gold, silver and copper). The reason for preferring copper tape is that it is much more flexible than foil, you can solder on it (to ground it) and it sticks to what you put it on, won't break and might be more thick/dense. :) Most antenna/network cables use basic aluminum foil to protect against interference and you can easily test that it works (just wrap your phone in foil and you will see the signal strength die out within a few seconds). However you can achieve a better shielding typically in cables if you have a copper braided shield (as it's more dense and conducts a little better).

When testing using different parameters (shielding on/off) and getting the same results again and again with the same parameters then at some point it is not coincidence. And actually a well-constructed "tin foil hat" would somewhat block radio frequencies roughly above 20KHz (it's a common science experiment - building a Faraday cage). The more sheets of foil added provides more shielding. :) 

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #4,331 of 4,883
Aluminum foil sheets can also act as an antenna, though, and used as described would not block RFI/EMI. Copper film is a better choice, or better yet, a mesh made from copper, nickel, or silver.

Some of the posts here offer good insight:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1541290-Alumn-wrap-Can-shield-RF-interference

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #4,332 of 4,883

I know you prefaced this by acknowledging that what you tried is "a little nuts," but it doesn't sound like a good idea.  Even if these problems are caused by some kind of interference--which Oppo has ruled out--aluminum foil is not a good EMI/RFI shield.  It's garbage.  In fact, it could act as an antenna.  Instead, you'd need nickel, copper, or silver mesh.  Also, opening up your device and putting stuff in it will void your warranty.  If there is a fix that involves sending your unit back to Oppo, you may be out of luck.  Then again, Oppo is so good to its customers that maybe they would accept it back for repair.  Not sure, though--putting stuff inside falls into the "you should know better" realm!  
tongue_smile.gif

Then Oppo is lying to either you or me. Based on the symptoms, I'm guessing you. As stated before - a USB driver problem that only occurs when the phone has low coverage, which is repeatable ad infinitum, and that gets fixed if you put the phone in airplane mode just isn't plausible.

Anyway, you think Oppo is awesome, and awesome at CS. Great for you. What they said to me is that it's an interference problem, that they don't think they'll be able to fix it, and they have avoided answering the question as to what they are going to do for customers like me who now have a MFI certified device that won't work with iPhone.

Apparently, with Oppo, YMMV.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #4,333 of 4,883
I apparently have the worst possible timing with my audio equipment.

As I was getting ready for work this morning, I automatically hit the upgrade to iOS 10.3.1 without thinking. So i was current and up-to-date with my iOS as of about 9 a.m. this morning.

Coincidentally, my Oppo HA-2 SE also arrived today, and I just had a chance to set the thing up with my iPhone 7+.

It worked fine for about 5 minutes and then this fabled audio "drop-out" occurred, halting playback completely. It happened several times in a row, at seemingly random intervals.

I thought I had an electrical short, or maybe the Oppo wasn't fully charged, causing the problem.

Now I've read through at least a portion of this thread and it sounds like I may have to return the Oppo HA-2 SE.

Does anyone know if that hard reboot of the iPhone with the Oppo connected fixed the problem?

Or am I SOL with this thing?

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,334 of 4,883
Did a hard reboot of phone with Oppo powered on and USB cable in both.

So far I've listened to an entire album with no drops. Same was dropping regularly before.

Best trick; old trick?

Question: Did this completely solve the problem?

And, pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by keeping USB cables in both the phone and the Oppo?

That confuses me.

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #4,335 of 4,883
From my take, some iPhones  w/ 10.3.1 are obviously not playing nice with the HA2-SE.

I, thankfully, do not use the Oppo with any phone so I guess it's easy for me to still be a big fan of this device. I'm sure if I was using (or trying to use) it with an iPhone I would not be happy either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back