OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #3,901 of 4,883
  Battery technology is pretty much state-of-the-art in every recently designed product. To my knowledge, no one company has any edge over another in terms of energy density.

In the end, it boils down to how heavy and bulky a rig you are willing to carry.  It might seem silly that I'm taking the time to say this, but it seems to escape some people:

If you want the convenience of a longer battery life, you'll you have to carry a heavier, bulkier device that has a larger internal battery

-or-

You can buy a slimmer, lighter-weight device that allows you to stay compact for shorter durations, carrying an external battery pack only for longer forays without using the charger.

Those are our choices.

I prefer the convertible nature of the latter choice - nicely facilitated with Oppo's decision to give us a reasonably small, slender and light HA-2.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9QVE4Q

Mike

I think manufacturers are focusing a lot more on charging speeds too, such as the 5A VOOC charging offered by Oppo. Although the battery is almost 3x larger in the HA-2, it actually charges quicker than my E17K. Same goes for my HTC 10 with its 3000mah battery, it can charge up to ~80% in about 35minutes whilst me 1800mah One-X takes about one and a half hours. I picked up a 10000mah QC3.0 battery pack and never have to worry about the batterylife of my phone, though of course, a lot of that 10000mah is lost during voltage conversion, etc, I measured it to be equivalent to about 4500mah at 9-12V.

Nov 11, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #3,902 of 4,883
The more I thought about your issue, I recalled there was a discussion regarding type-C connectors. Maybe this post earlier in this thread and the few posts that follow it will be useful to you. Good luck.

I  confirm that my Huawei P9 with USB type-C connector works fine with HA-2 using the adaptor.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #3,904 of 4,883
I have a really nice one of these for sale bundled up with a Moon audio silver dragon v2 mini to mini. Beyond sad to see it go, but I absolutely never found an opportunity to use it

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/142179028943

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #3,905 of 4,883
Apologies is this issue has been solved (search function just brought up similar issues without a fix). 

My HA-2SE will randomly stop playing on my iPhone 6. If I just hit play, it acts like nothing is connected and plays music from the phone speakers. I need to turn the HA-2SE off/on to reengage the handshake (vibration) before hitting play again. In addition, sometimes the audio gets all garbled and, again, I need to turn the HA-2SE off/on to fix the issue.

Does that sound like a problem with my device? I suppose it could be the USB/lightning cable too. I'll need to test different sources to know that one for sure.

I think there are two distinct issues that I am facing with my new HA-2SE -- at least when connected to my iPhone 6S with the latest iOS and Onkyo HF Player (I have not had time to test other configs sufficiently):
1. iPhone loses connection to DAC: this happens -- sometimes every few minutes -- when in the middle of listening. I have had this happen with the supplied short cable as well as (frequently) with an Oppo sold case. So far, I have not had this happen if I use Apple's USB to Lightning cable.

2. While playing, the sounds sometimes becomes garbled and stutters. If you let it go on for a few seconds, the music itself seems to actually slow down. So far the only way to solve this has been to power cycle the DAC or disconnect/reconnect the cable. [Update: As mentioned in the below post, quitting HF Player and starting it up again also fixes the issue.] This happens when using the case, the short cable, and maybe the Apple cable -- not positive on the last one [Update: It also happens with the Apple cable.]. I always listed with the phone muted to suppress iOS notifications and sounds. I am not sure if the garble is OS, HF Player, or other app related (I usually have other apps running like what's app, Skype, mail, etc) -- or if it is a hardware issue.

When I connect the DAC to my MacBook Pro and control it using Roon, I have not experienced either of the above.

I was wondering if the above matches your own experiences and whether you or anyone else has found any solutions.

Thanks!

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #3,906 of 4,883
This is exactly what's happening to me. I think the slowdown/garble thing could be iOS related because I think I've had it happen through other digital audio connections. Disconnect issue I assumed was the cable. Haven't tested another though.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #3,907 of 4,883
I have the same issue. I think it started around iOS 10 update.

I had it happen with my HA-2 and iPhone 6. Also suspected the cable, but changed that and it still happened. Then I sold the HA-2, bought the HA-2SE (best decision ever - even over the Mojo), but the problem is still there (and at the same time I also upgraded to an iPhone 7 that have the same issues, so it's completely new hardware). 

As I never updated the firmware on the old HA-2 and it worked fine a year ago, I'm pretty sure it's some handshake with iOS not working correctly anymore.

When it happens I can see the iPhone go into "I'm charging"-mode for a few seconds and then back. Music stops and needs to be restarted. Really annoying. Happens quite periodically (10-30 minutes) and is not caused by movement/connector/cable issues.

Oppo - Please fix. :)

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #3,908 of 4,883
This is exactly what's happening to me. I think the slowdown/garble thing could be iOS related because I think I've had it happen through other digital audio connections. Disconnect issue I assumed was the cable. Haven't tested another though.

What other digital connections have you tried where you had the same problem?

Incidentally, I just experienced the garble problem and instead of power-cycling or unplugging, I decide to quit HF Player and start it again. That resolved the problem. So it looks like it might be an OS and/or HF Player issue.

Have you had the problem when using other music player apps on the iPhone with the Oppo?

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #3,909 of 4,883
  I have the same issue. I think it started around iOS 10 update.

I had it happen with my HA-2 and iPhone 6. Also suspected the cable, but changed that and it still happened. Then I sold the HA-2, bought the HA-2SE (best decision ever - even over the Mojo), but the problem is still there (and at the same time I also upgraded to an iPhone 7 that have the same issues, so it's completely new hardware). 

As I never updated the firmware on the old HA-2 and it worked fine a year ago, I'm pretty sure it's some handshake with iOS not working correctly anymore.

When it happens I can see the iPhone go into "I'm charging"-mode for a few seconds and then back. Music stops and needs to be restarted. Really annoying. Happens quite periodically (10-30 minutes) and is not caused by movement/connector/cable issues.

Oppo - Please fix. :)

You might be right (see my comment in the above post) -- could be iOS 10 or HF Player. Do you ever use another music player app? If so, have you had the same problem? If so, it might indicate the OS as the problem.

Your specific experience of completely new hardware is a great help to establish reproducibility -- thanks!

Just to be clear, when you state that you are having the same problem, are you referring to the loss of connection or the garble? In my case, the garble does not lead to a loss of connection --- I always end up stopping it to avoid any potential damage to my headphones or the DAC.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #3,911 of 4,883

You might be right (see my comment in the above post) -- could be iOS 10 or HF Player. Do you ever use another music player app? If so, have you had the same problem? If so, it might indicate the OS as the problem.

Your specific experience of completely new hardware is a great help to establish reproducibility -- thanks!

Just to be clear, when you state that you are having the same problem, are you referring to the loss of connection or the garble? In my case, the garble does not lead to a loss of connection --- I always end up stopping it to avoid any potential damage to my headphones or the DAC.

The player/app is not the problem as far as I have tested (I usually use Tidal for streaming, but it also happened with regular iTunes/Music app on iOS).
And it's the loss of connection problem (looses connection, iPhone think it can charge and starts doing that for a second, music can be restarted by pressing play). 
And yes, it's a bit funny - i was hoping changing both iPhone 6->7, cable and HA2->SE would help, but it didn't. 

Edit: I also had the garble problem from time to time on the HA-2, but haven't heard it yet on the SE-version (I think I have listened to it for something like 10 hours by now, haven't heard it yet).

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,912 of 4,883
What other digital connections have you tried where you had the same problem?

Incidentally, I just experienced the garble problem and instead of power-cycling or unplugging, I decide to quit HF Player and start it again. That resolved the problem. So it looks like it might be an OS and/or HF Player issue.

Have you had the problem when using other music player apps on the iPhone with the Oppo?

I've had the garbled playback issue happen over Bluetooth before (though I think it may have sped up). That's the only other digital connection I've used.

And it's definitely not the player/app, as I've had this happen in Spotify and Tidal.

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #3,914 of 4,883
I did some more testing today (was in a train going halfway across the country, so had nothing better to do). 
I experienced the connection drop about 12 times during 2 hours with "offline music" and there clearly was a pattern to it. It happened primarily when there was a very bad connection or when roaming onto another gsm network (which was easy to tell as the HA-2 picked up a little of the typical GSM chatter noise). So my theory is that it happens when there is a lot of cell activity (when trying to switch cells/roam or very bad signal). 
Worst was when I was in a tunnel with almost no coverage - there it dropped it 5 times in a row with 10 seconds in between (loose HA-2 connection, get connection again, start charging for 2 seconds - and then need a "play" to start playing again). 

Maybe I'll try wrapping the phone/HA-2 in aluminium foil just to see if I can provoke it. :)

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #3,915 of 4,883
Aha - I can now reproduce it quite easily with a 9 out of 10 tries success rate...  :)

Wrapping the iPhone+ha2 in aluminium foil makes the HA-2 disconnect almost instantly in my case (playing off line music, so we are not talking about the phone loosing signal/network that interrupts the stream).
It needs to be fully wrapped in foil to block out the GSM signal.

It seems to be that when the phone looses the connection to it's GSM network (and starts searching and trying to roam) then it drops the connection to the HA-2 each time.

Maybe the extra power needed when searching for a network does something to the lightning connection that makes the HA-2 disengage... 

Can anybody else try this simple test? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back