OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Nov 1, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3,871 of 4,883
  Does anyone have any idea as to whether the HA-2 is compatible and works with the Google Pixel?

I can't test it because I don't have my Pixel yet, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, you'll just need to add a converter cable.

Found a post on reddit by someone saying his Pixel works fine with a dac/amp combo (HRT Music Streamer 2+), so I don't see any reason why the Pixel wouldn't play nice with the HA-2. I'll be taking the plunge soon, once I get the funds and possibility to order (not released yet here in the Netherlands...), so poke me in a month or so if you want to be 100% sure these devices play nice with each other.

Edit two days later:
Asked this question specifically on the Pixel subreddit, two people replied saying the Pixel + HA-2 (SE) works perfectly.

Nov 4, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,873 of 4,883
Nov 4, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3,875 of 4,883
Apologies is this issue has been solved (search function just brought up similar issues without a fix). 

My HA-2SE will randomly stop playing on my iPhone 6. If I just hit play, it acts like nothing is connected and plays music from the phone speakers. I need to turn the HA-2SE off/on to reengage the handshake (vibration) before hitting play again. In addition, sometimes the audio gets all garbled and, again, I need to turn the HA-2SE off/on to fix the issue.

Does that sound like a problem with my device? I suppose it could be the USB/lightning cable too. I'll need to test different sources to know that one for sure.

Nov 4, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #3,876 of 4,883
  Apologies is this issue has been solved (search function just brought up similar issues without a fix). 

My HA-2SE will randomly stop playing on my iPhone 6. If I just hit play, it acts like nothing is connected and plays music from the phone speakers. I need to turn the HA-2SE off/on to reengage the handshake (vibration) before hitting play again. In addition, sometimes the audio gets all garbled and, again, I need to turn the HA-2SE off/on to fix the issue.

Does that sound like a problem with my device? I suppose it could be the USB/lightning cable too. I'll need to test different sources to know that one for sure.

If no music is played for about a minute or so the handshake between the devices is dropped to save battery power. You can turn off/on to regain handshake or unplug/re-plug the lightning cable to re-establish the connection. I prefer the latter method since it doesn't require me to adjust the volume. It's not ideal, but it's not an issue with the HA-2/SE.

Can you better describe the garbled audio issue?

Nov 4, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #3,877 of 4,883

I just sent my HA-2 in for replacement a week ago because of the "garbling" you mentioned. Here's the summary of what I wrote in the letter to Oppo when I sent it to them for inspection:

Hi. I purchased my HA-2 a little under a year ago. I've had the pleasure of pairing it with my iPhone 6s and it really brings a whole new life to my music on the go, with my SE846s, JH Audio 13v2's, and Roxannes. I've spoken very highly of it on Head-Fi.org and recommended it to many users.

However, recently, when stacking my iPhone 6s (I do not use a case) with the HA-2 with the same short black lightning-to-USB cable Oppo provided (or even other certified Apple lightning cables), I have started to get a disturbing amount of electrical interference depending on which side I stack my iPhone on. If I place it on the side with the Oppo heading it's mostly fine. However, whenever I stack it on the opposite side, I get tons of electrical interference.

I could be playing music off my MacBook's USB to HA-2 and stack my iPhone 5 or 6s or many other electrical instruments on that trouble side of the HA-2 and experience the noise issue like a signal that is cutting out the music. Electrical noise. I don't know how else to explain it. It's almost like a weather flood watch alert. Just sizzling and crackling. I know it's not the source's doing because I could be running music out any source and reproduce the issue by placing an iPhone or something of that nature that is meant to be stacked with the HA-2 on it.

This is greatly troubling for me. Does this kind of thing usually happen after a period of time? I'm not sure I can continue recommending the HA-2 to my fellow audiophiles if this is what happens to your product after a year of (fairly light) use. It can't have more than 40 battery cycles on it.

Just got an email confirmation today stating this:

Hope I get more info on what the problem was when I receive the replacement.

Nov 4, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #3,878 of 4,883
If no music is played for about a minute or so the handshake between the devices is dropped to save battery power. You can turn off/on to regain handshake or unplug/re-plug the lightning cable to re-establish the connection. I prefer the latter method since it doesn't require me to adjust the volume. It's not ideal, but it's not an issue with the HA-2/SE.

Can you better describe the garbled audio issue?

Music will stop playing immediately when this occurs, which points to the the fact that my iPhone no longer thinks anything is connected. So the handshake is getting broken and causing the problem, I think, as opposed to the music stopping ahead of losing the handshake. I'll test this again to make sure though.

I just sent my HA-2 in for replacement a week ago because of the "garbling" you mentioned. Here's the summary of what I wrote in the letter to Oppo when I sent it to them for inspection:

Just got an email confirmation today stating this:

Hope I get more info on what the problem was when I receive the replacement.

I'm not sure your issue is the same as mine. It's not like interference is introduced while the music is playing. More like the playback of the audio is corrupted -- it's garbled/stuttering/completely out of balance. The only equivalent I can think of would be if you've ever had a bad Bluetooth connection and the audio is coming through out of sync.

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,879 of 4,883
Music will stop playing immediately when this occurs, which points to the the fact that my iPhone no longer thinks anything is connected. So the handshake is getting broken and causing the problem, I think, as opposed to the music stopping ahead of losing the handshake. I'll test this again to make sure though.
I'm not sure your issue is the same as mine. It's not like interference is introduced while the music is playing. More like the playback of the audio is corrupted -- it's garbled/stuttering/completely out of balance. The only equivalent I can think of would be if you've ever had a bad Bluetooth connection and the audio is coming through out of sync.

Does this happen with different transports? I have seen some iDevices especially older ones struggling to playback hi-res files. Could you connect the HA-2 to a computer and see if you can replicate the issue?

Nov 4, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #3,883 of 4,883

I think I have read something similar in the past from this thread. I believe the cause was the OTG cable. You might want to check if that's your case or not.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #3,884 of 4,883
Synergy is a term thrown around Head.Fi more times than I've had hot dinners however ATHESW9A which I got through Amazon Prime for a ridiculous price sound excellent with the HA-2.

Takes the edge off the Sabre DAC for a long non fatiguing listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back