OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
May 16, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,421 of 4,883
May 17, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #3,423 of 4,883
Sorry, been using the mobile version. Cant view the signature.

Yes, it's the AK120ii.  I usually listen with the Shure SE846, but the Oppo will drive my LCD-X pretty well, too.  

May 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,425 of 4,883
Why exactly are you pluggin the Ha2 into an Ak 120? Surely that would downgrade the quality?

Surely you haven't heard how little power every A&K has
wink.gif

May 19, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #3,429 of 4,883
So a $1500 Dap doesn't have enough power for 16ohm IEMs? What's the point of them then?

One could literally buy a fiio x1 and use it instead and save themselves a grand.

It is more like a 9ohm IEM (SE864) actually, which the very low impedance actually makes it a bit demanding when it comes to current output. I can't recall the exact power output of AK120II, but I have seen a few A&K being measured and they all are usually are about the same power as you would expect from a FiiO M3, or worst. Also, in the particular case of SE846, the lower output impedance of HA-2 (<0.5ohm vs. 2ohm on AH120II) also will help not to color the sound.

If you asked me, I'll tell you that the most 'audiophiles' part of A&K is typically its price.

May 21, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #3,430 of 4,883

If you asked me, I'll tell you that the most 'audiophiles' part of A&K is typically its price.

I think you're on to something here. A&K has been the biggest game in town for dedicated DAPs and that allowed them to charge outrageous prices. The big electronics makers are finally waking up to the fact that there is a market worth pursuing in this segment. Onkyo's DP-X1's press material alludes to this in this in the picture below. Notice "Pricey" has been stricken.

I hope this trend continues with other manufacturers making high quality products, but not trying to kill us with the prices.

May 21, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3,433 of 4,883
Hi All,

Sorry, been off this thread for a few days but thanks for re-posting the picture of my rig :).  Looks great on the barnwood table.

Thanks to @TimeLord for posting the correct info about the source.  The rig exactly is:  AK120ii (DAC) => HA-2 (amp only) => SE846 or LCD-X.

I went this route for a couple reasons...
 - the AK120ii has an exceptional DAC but not so great an amp
 - the HA-2 has an excellent amp but not so great a DAC
All IMHO of course.

I just wanted a bit more driving power from the AK120ii.  With only the AK120ii the music sounded "thin" just driving the SE846 which, as already stated above, are easy to drive.  Once I discovered the Oppo HA-2, I was sold.  The amp section of the Oppo adds sufficient power to drive the SE846 (even the LCD-X) and the sound is very clean.  The music from this combination shines.

BTW, the SE846 sound better to me with more power, similar to many headphones.

My other option was to "rock box" the AK120ii via RedWine audio...

http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak100ii_rwak120ii

I was a bit nervous about this option, but I've read some good things from other Head-Fiers who went with RedWine and weren't disappointed.  I just decided to go with the HA-2 instead.  It was about 1/2 the price of the RedWine upgrade.

Hope this helps -
RCB

May 22, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #3,434 of 4,883
That cable I purchased from;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Right-Angle-Micro-USB-B-to-mini-USB-OTG-Cable-for-DAC-Portable-Digital-Amplifier-/301556014007?hash=item4636239bb7:g:~XAAAOSweW5U~DTa

Turned out to be the culprit with regard to my phone and HA-2 losing a substantial amount of charge whilst both devices being switched off and cable attached.

Since returning to the supplied cable this issue for me has disappeared. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back