OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Oct 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,251 of 4,883
Hi Folks,

May be this is addressed and I am sorry for asking again.

When I hook up HA-2 to MacBook Pro or iPhone 6s+, Oppo does not give me option to change the volume. Only the MacBook and iPhone control the volume, not Oppo HA-2. Is there a place where I should change the settings?

Thanks for your time.

Best,
Sai

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2,252 of 4,883
  Hi Folks,

May be this is addressed and I am sorry for asking again.

When I hook up HA-2 to MacBook Pro or iPhone 6s+, Oppo does not give me option to change the volume. Only the MacBook and iPhone control the volume, not Oppo HA-2. Is there a place where I should change the settings?

Thanks for your time.

Best,
Sai

Your Macbook and iPhone control the software volume, the HA-2 has a volume knob that controls the hardware volume.

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #2,253 of 4,883

Your Macbook and iPhone control the software volume, the HA-2 has a volume knob that controls the hardware volume.

Hi ClieOS,

Thanks for responding.
The volume in iTunes is maximum, the knob on HA-2 is just at 0 (switch on). Now the only way I can increase the volume is using the F11/F12 buttons on the top row of the key board on MacBook Pro. Nothing happens when I change the knob on HA-2 all the way from 0 to 5. My system is taking control of the master volume as I understand it. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done. BTW, I am running OS X 10.10.5 and iTunes 12.3.0.44, if it helps to diagnose.

Best,
Sai

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,254 of 4,883

Hi ClieOS,

Thanks for responding.
The volume in iTunes is maximum, the knob on HA-2 is just at 0 (switch on). Now the only way I can increase the volume is using the F11/F12 buttons on the top row of the key board on MacBook Pro. Nothing happens when I change the knob on HA-2 all the way from 0 to 5. My system is taking control of the master volume as I understand it. Please let me know if there is anything that can be done. BTW, I am running OS X 10.10.5 and iTunes 12.3.0.44, if it helps to diagnose.

Best,
Sai

Hi,

Turn the (software) volume all the way up at your MacBook Pro, then use the HA-2's (hardware) volume knob to set the volume you desire at the headphones.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #2,258 of 4,883
  Are you possibly plugging your headphones into the line out port on the HA-2?  That's the only thing I can think of that would cause what you are experiencing 

Hi PoochZag,

Yes, I am connecting HA-2 to MacBook Pro using miroUSB-USB cable and then selecting B from the source and using the Line Out to connect my headphones. Would you suggest a different way to do it?

Thanks,
Sai

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,260 of 4,883
I noticed yesterday that it's my HA-2 that's actually making a pop/click sound and not my phone! I had it plugged from headphone out to my car AUX as I usually do and had the volume up however before connecting it to my phone I noticed the glitch sound. Happened sporadically over the next few minutes. I always blamed the Note 4 and Lollipop for the glitch but it seems it's coming direct from the Oppo!

Anyone else have this issue?

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,261 of 4,883

Hi PoochZag,

Yes, I am connecting HA-2 to MacBook Pro using miroUSB-USB cable and then selecting B from the source and using the Line Out to connect my headphones. Would you suggest a different way to do it?

Thanks,
Sai

Use the headphoneport... Not that difficult, it is the other port. A Line out cannot be controlled in volume.

Use the headphone port as noted.  Line-out sends a constant level to another headphone amp, or speakers or whatever if you want to use just the DAC for another reason

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2,263 of 4,883
With the HA-2, what would be the best way to connect it to a Fiio X3-II? Coax out or USB out to the HA-2. Want to make sure I have any connectors I need when I order.

There is only ONE way to connect a X3II to HA-2, and that with a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm interconnecting cable. HA-2 doesn't have a coax-in function, and X3II doesn't have USB-Host function to work with external USB DAC.

I noticed yesterday that it's my HA-2 that's actually making a pop/click sound and not my phone! I had it plugged from headphone out to my car AUX as I usually do and had the volume up however before connecting it to my phone I noticed the glitch sound. Happened sporadically over the next few minutes. I always blamed the Note 4 and Lollipop for the glitch but it seems it's coming direct from the Oppo!

Anyone else have this issue?

Never notice that on mine.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #2,264 of 4,883

There is only ONE way to connect a X3II to HA-2, and that with a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm interconnecting cable. HA-2 doesn't have a coax-in function, and X3II doesn't have USB-Host function to work with external USB DAC.

Hi,

Which affordable-type DAPs (not smartphone) will work with the HA-2 using the micro USB to micro USB interconnects? I'm only using the HA-2 with iDevices at the moment. X5 II? 

Thanks

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #2,265 of 4,883

Hmmmm...

That sounds like an odd setup. If you want to connect the HA-2 to another device via micro USB, it would probably have to be an Android-based DAP.

If you don't require the superior UI and streaming services of a phone, you may be better served just buying a Fiio X3ii ($200) or an X5ii ($350).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back