OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Sep 22, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #2,086 of 4,883
Can anyone tell me why the ha-2 isnt compatible with an ipod classic? Cant find any logical explanation.

Have you tried yourself? If you did, it could just be a cable issue and you should try with the stock sync and charge cable.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #2,089 of 4,883

No, why would I buy something that is presumed incompatible?

Then how do you come to the conclusion that it doesn't work?

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #2,090 of 4,883
Can anyone tell me why the ha-2 isnt compatible with an ipod classic? Cant find any logical explanation.

I can't tell you why and don't have any iOS devices, but this is what Oppo rep told me about compatibility:

iPod Classic 6th and 7th gen will work (model A138). Previous models do not work.

iPod Touch 3rd gen (model A1318) and 4th gen (model A1367) both work

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,091 of 4,883
I think it is worth noting that the term 'iPod Classic' is introduced when 6th gen was released (and 7th gen is technically still 6G, but with larger storage). The 5th gen is iPod Video. As  far as I know, the MFi program (which allows iPod to output digital signal to an external DAC was introduced in 2005 when 5th gen was released, but it is generally understand that it is quite buggy to use (for my understanding, the early MFi doesn't allow you to skip song on the wheel, as it is supposed to work with a remote or controlled by an external device). It was really not until the iPod Classic (6th and 7th gen) was introduced that Apple gets the MFi right, that's 2007. Also, the first external MFi certified DAC, the Wadia iTransport, only hit the market at around late 2008, IIRC, and it is only compatible with iPod Video (which it can't skip song) and Classic, as anything before iPod Video doesn't have the MFi chip built in. While some like to refer to all iPods as being 'classic', it really is just the 6G (and the 7G if you like to count them separately) that is iPod Classic.

Also note that MFi isn't universal. You can certify only for 'Made For iPhone' but not 'Made For iPod', and vise versa. It really is hardware dependent. But in the case of HA-2, I do think OPPO's MFi covers both ends.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #2,092 of 4,883
Just thought I'd chime in to say that for whatever reason my HA-2 has stopped glitching/skipping on my Note 4. I am NOT going to let it run out of battery and restart as I fear it will return. For now and for whatever reason it has seemed to go away..I'm in bliss!

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,094 of 4,883
  How much will a portable dac/amp improve audio quality when using an iPhone as the source (Apple Music [256k AAC] & Spotify [320k Ogg Vorbis])?

Gear: Westone 4R, Oppo PM-3

i am using a sony walkman with lossless and yes i note better queality from my XBA-A3 and MDR-1R

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #2,095 of 4,883
I've been using the HA-2 with iPhone 6+ for months.  I love the HA-2, however the idle timeout issues with iOS are really wearing down on me for day-to-day usage.

Using this at work is not the most ideal setup.  Pausing music due to a co-worker interrupting and having to always remember to switch inputs or turn the volume dial off is quite annoying.  Otherwise, the volume comes out the iPhone and not the HA-2.

I know this isn't the fault of the HA-2, however it's still incredibly cumbersome.

I've resorted to plugging my iPhone into my work PC and piping the music to the HA-2 from the PC.  This obviously kills the portable aspect of the unit and has me contemplating getting a work desktop amp instead.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2,096 of 4,883
Why? It won't mitigate the original problem (lighting connection timing out and that you have to connect to the computer) Have you tried using just an audio in cable when at your desk?

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,097 of 4,883
Why? It won't mitigate the original problem (lighting connection timing out and that you have to connect to the computer) Have you tried using just an audio in cable when at your desk?

It helps mitigate the lightning connection timeout.  It might take a second or two until the handshake kicks in, but you don't have to reconnect or change inputs.  It's not like the USB connection drops when the iPhone is idle.

It's a nice way of solving the problem of your music blasting from the iPhone if you forget to switch.  Like I said though, it unfortunately loses out on the portability aspect, but it's not a bad compromise for using at work.  At least you can maintain a constant charge using the HA-2 this way :).

I haven't tried a lineout from the motherboard to the amp.  I'd then have to go through getting a DAC, etc.

Sep 24, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #2,098 of 4,883
Oppo HA-2 striptease
biggrin.gif

Removed leather cover, UHU style glue, easily cleaned with nail polish remover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back