OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Jul 18, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #1,712 of 4,883
OPPO Electronics (smartphones) isn't the same as OPPO Digital (audio products) by the way. They're completely independent from one another apart from branding.

Yup, they are so independent from one another they don't even care if their products are not compatible with each other.

Anyway, I just tried HA-2 with Mi4i smartphone made by Xiaomi that costs almost half the price of Oppo R7f. Mi4i works seamlessly with HA-2 so I'll probably sell away my new Oppo R7f.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #1,713 of 4,883

Yup, they are so independent from one another they don't even care if their products are not compatible with each other.

Anyway, I just tried HA-2 with Mi4i smartphone made by Xiaomi that costs almost half the price of Oppo R7f. Mi4i works seamlessly with HA-2 so I'll probably sell away my new Oppo R7f.

I suspected I might have problems before ordering so I went with Amazon (UK), no hassle returning stuff to them. Luckily in the UK we are covered by regulations that allow anything bought online or by phone to be returned within 14 days. Amazon even better with a 30 day returns policy.

Your Mi4i looks a better match visually anyway, enjoy !!!

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,714 of 4,883
Anyone have an OPPO HA-2 that they've tried pairing with their iPhone and Fidelio X2's? So far this is at the top of my budget ($300) for a portable dac/amp to help improve the sound and bass slam of the X2's.

Is the improvement in SQ worth the $300 as opposed to just running it from the iPhone jack?

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #1,715 of 4,883
Hi Guys,

I'm seriously considering purchasing the geek out V2+ infinity and pairing it to my Samsung Note 3.  How does the geek out v2+ infinity compare to the OPPO HA-2?  I'll be using my Shure 846 in ear monitors the majority of the time with this pair.  

What is balanced audio and can I take advantage of this with my Shure 846s?

Thank you very much!

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,716 of 4,883
  Hi Guys,

I'm seriously considering purchasing the geek out V2+ infinity and pairing it to my Samsung Note 3.  How does the geek out v2+ infinity compare to the OPPO HA-2?  I'll be using my Shure 846 in ear monitors the majority of the time with this pair.  

What is balanced audio and can I take advantage of this with my Shure 846s?

Thank you very much!

I don't think that anyone (short maybe beta testers or HLH people) have got a V2+  of any flavor to do a comparison. I thought that they were talking the end of the year for deliveries...
Also the V2+ infinity is set to sell for about $650....
Can you get a balanced cable for the 846 ?? Then yes.

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,718 of 4,883
I just connected the HA-2 to my car's stereo system with a cassette tape-3.5 mm adaptor. Holy smokes it sounds a thousand times better than straight out of the iPhone. The JDS Labs C5D tends to distort really bad at louder volume levels so I don't really use that; the HA-2 only does that on high gain.

Jul 19, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,719 of 4,883
I have used my HA-2>iPhone 6 stack with the PM-3's that arrived yesterday - amazing sound - gets loud and stays clean. The bass boost is certainly made for this headphone.... With some IEMs it is a bit too much, but works surprisingly well with the Oppo cans...

Still very pleased with the iPhone 6/HA-2 stack. It is small & thin enough to be put in a regular sized pocket - wearing board shorts or cargos, it is a no-brainer. 

It is a huge improvement over the HO of the 6 - complex passages of music that used to be congested are clear with air around each instrument. The soundstage gets nice and wide... ...and this was only $300? There are a lot of these in the wild - and people are holding onto them - I predict it will be a goodly amount of time before you can pick up one of these 2nd hand for $200 (like some members are hoping for on the FS thread 
popcorn.gif
 )

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,720 of 4,883
The most likely thing that will happen is Oppo putting it up on their site as "refurbished" for that amount.  Bought a used PM-3 for $360 in the FS forum before realizing that Oppo was selling it for $319 refurbished.

Still worth every penny.  I'm starting to think these guys are the Monoprice of high-end audio.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,721 of 4,883

Doubt that.

I cracked open my MusicHeaven cable (which as I have reported, doesn't work with A15 and HA-2) and have a look inside, noticed the microUSB side isn't wired correctly as pin 4 and 5 are not connected. They are needed to trigger OTG mode. Also look inside the Amazon cable Oppo has referred (which works), and noticed the pin 4 and 5 are connected with a tiny resistor. I'll guess that is the key to why HA-2 will work with the Amazon cable but not (some of) the MusicHeaven cable. It might just because someone in MusicHeaven's factory is being careless and missed some of the component. If that's the case, that is really bad workmanship.

Just want to add that I was able to solder in the missing resistor needed for OTG function in the MusicHeaven cable, and now it works with A15 + HA-2 without a problem.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #1,723 of 4,883
Jul 22, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,724 of 4,883
Can the internal battery of the HA-2 be replaced?  I don't see any points where the casing can be opened.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #1,725 of 4,883
  Can the internal battery of the HA-2 be replaced?  I don't see any points where the casing can be opened.

Screws are underneath the leather, and the leather is glued onto the housing with double sided sticker, which is a slight pain to take off. The problem however is not the leather or the screws, but probably finding a battery of the right sized to replace the original, given how slim the device is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back