OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #961 of 4,883

5.02 on an S6, it works pretty much perfectly. No need to use UAPP for high res files... I love it!

So just to clarify, with 5.0 I can use Poweramp and it will use the Oppo DAC? I've been using Hiby and tried the UAPP trial but I hate the UI.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #962 of 4,883

We are in the process of ordering several single cable solutions, but I really have no ETA when they will be purchased, received and tested. But we will definitely update the Knowledge Database in the future when we are confident of a working single cable solution.

No problem. I won't mind picking one up myself sometime next month just for the fun of it, will help to confirm it if I can.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #963 of 4,883
Has anyone had success using the HA-2 with a Linux machine? There are no official drivers for it, but I'm wondering if it would plug-and-play like my TEAC HA-P50 does.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #964 of 4,883

So just to clarify, with 5.0 I can use Poweramp and it will use the Oppo DAC? I've been using Hiby and tried the UAPP trial but I hate the UI.

In my case I do exactly that. I use Poweramp as my player.  Up to 24/192 Flac files play through it using  just that player standalone out of the S6 to the HA-2. . I haven't played any DSD yet.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #965 of 4,883
  I know this is a response to the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable, but it would be really cool if Oppo offered right-angle to right-angle cables for Android/iPhone. I know there was some previous concerns about having the entire weight of the ha-2+smartphone resting on the usb cable and something like that would be a nice option for people interested. thanks for reading my feedback!

Quote:

No problem. I won't mind picking one up myself sometime next month just for the fun of it, will help to confirm it if I can.

Unfortunately the first cable we had direct delivered to our factory did not work, but we are in the process of getting another one to ensure that this specific cable was just defective versus not being compatible with the HA-2.

Defective cables are not too uncommon as is it not possible to guarantee a 100% success rate, so we are not writing off this, and other, cables yet.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #966 of 4,883

Unfortunately the first cable we had direct delivered to our factory did not work, but we are in the process of getting another one to ensure that this specific cable was just defective versus not being compatible with the HA-2.

Defective cables are not too uncommon as is it not possible to guarantee a 100% success rate, so we are not writing off this, and other, cables yet.

I'll wait for more testing, if it doesn't works or does, but seems those cables rare shobby quality, then i will get the WMC-NWH10 and sacrifice battery life of my precious A17

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #967 of 4,883
Does anyone use the HA-2 exclusively as a DAC? I'm wondering how these compare to desktop DAC options with wired power supplies.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #968 of 4,883

In my case I do exactly that. I use Poweramp as my player.  Up to 24/192 Flac files play through it using  just that player standalone out of the S6 to the HA-2. . I haven't played any DSD yet.

Is it actually using the Oppo DAC though? I've tested Poweramp whilst on Kitkat 4.4 and it does work with the Oppo but I notice the quality is nowhere as good as using the Hiby player that displays using USB audio DAC. Is it just passing through it's audio decoding to the Oppo to output? I was hoping with Lollipop that once the Oppo was connected to it Lollipop would hand off all DAC duties to the Oppo. Not sure if that's how it actually works though.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #969 of 4,883

Is it actually using the Oppo DAC though? I've tested Poweramp whilst on Kitkat 4.4 and it does work with the Oppo but I notice the quality is nowhere as good as using the Hiby player that displays using USB audio DAC. Is it just passing through it's audio decoding to the Oppo to output? I was hoping with Lollipop that once the Oppo was connected to it Lollipop would hand off all DAC duties to the Oppo. Not sure if that's how it actually works though.

Yes it is using the DAC in the HA-2.  I think that, the way that I have connected things, it is  not possible to feed through. The data goes through the HA-2 DAC... before it gets to analog section.

I have not tried the app that you refer to. I compared only Poweramp, and UAPP. I found no audible difference. (I admit, I have not yet listened critically to the system, but it IS a phone...)

Hands off, I think it does, but it seemed to take awhile. I got used to waiting 30 seconds or so after connecting to start the player. Otherwise I would get music out of the phone speaker.
Given a bit of time the S6 found the HA-2 and used it by default.  Not sure as how to get objective evidence of this. I can't seem to find a place in any of the players that I use to get a reading of bitrate.. nor a way to verify what the HA-2 is receiving. Suggestions?

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #970 of 4,883
I just got back from a local Head-Fi meet. I set up the HA-2 with someone else's iPod Classic 80 GB just fine without any issues.
1) Have iPod on
2) Have HA-2 off
3) Plug in USB-A cable into HA-2
4) Plug in headphones
5) Plug in other end of USB cable into iPod
6) Turn HA-2 on
7) Play music

I put the HA-2 in the mobile power bank mode as step 4.5 just to make sure I can physically see that the HA-2 is being detected by the iPod (as in the iPod will start charging).

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #971 of 4,883
Does anyone use the HA-2 exclusively as a DAC? I'm wondering how these compare to desktop DAC options with wired power supplies.

I have iTunes (ALAC lossless) and Spotify Premium (320 kbps) on a MacBook Pro which I connect to an via a DAC into an analogue and speakers in my home office. 

Normally I use an Epiphany Acoustics E-Dac (powered via the USB) but I have used my HA-2. I slightly prefer the sound of the former which is a little warmer, although this may be due to using differing cables which I've yet to swap about to check. Having said all of that I'm generally happy to use an iPod Classic, iPhone or iPad as source via the Oppo into the amp & speakers because it frees up the laptop more conveniently. The HA-2 gives a full and detailed sound when used as a DAC into a hifi system for office use.

I don't use the HA-2 exclusively in this way as I also bought it to use with my iPod and headphones when travelling.

However, for more serious listening I use vinyl or CD in my main hifi system (see signature).

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #972 of 4,883

Yes it is using the DAC in the HA-2.  I think that, the way that I have connected things, it is  not possible to feed through. The data goes through the HA-2 DAC... before it gets to analog section.

I have not tried the app that you refer to. I compared only Poweramp, and UAPP. I found no audible difference. (I admit, I have not yet listened critically to the system, but it IS a phone...)

Hands off, I think it does, but it seemed to take awhile. I got used to waiting 30 seconds or so after connecting to start the player. Otherwise I would get music out of the phone speaker.
Given a bit of time the S6 found the HA-2 and used it by default.  Not sure as how to get objective evidence of this. I can't seem to find a place in any of the players that I use to get a reading of bitrate.. nor a way to verify what the HA-2 is receiving. Suggestions?

I did the update to Lollipop 5.01 on my Note 4 today and after setting it up I tested both Hiby and Poweramp. After listening to both I think Poweramp is now definitely using the DAC. The only difference is that Hiby/UAPP will pop up a msg to ask permission to use USB DAC and show the DAC logo, however Poweramp/Android system doesn't. Also, through Hiby/UAPP the volume is only controlled via the Oppo (outboard) whereas through Poweramp/Samsung music you control through both phone and Oppo. SQ wise I can't tell the difference so I will happily continue using Poweramp now. Guess I'd only go back to Hiby if need DSD etc.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #973 of 4,883

However, for more serious listening I use vinyl or CD in my main hifi system (see signature).

ALAC (and FLAC) are already CD quality or better-than-vinyl if they are 24-bit ranging from 88.2 to 192KHz

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #974 of 4,883
ALAC (and FLAC) are already CD quality or better-than-vinyl

Yes, I appreciate the quality of lossless music.

My comment was about the quality of the reproduction kit, not the actual music source, when I was referring to enjoying my hifi system over my more modest amp and speakers in my home office.

Apr 26, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #975 of 4,883

ALAC (and FLAC) are already CD quality or better-than-vinyl

Yes, I appreciate the quality of lossless music.

My comment was about the quality of the reproduction kit, not the actual music source, when I was referring to enjoying my hifi system over my more modest amp and speakers in my home office.

Yeah, sorry i misinterpeted :D, O_o the closest reproduction to near-reality in an audio system was ewhne i got to Hamburg Germany to meet my Boyfriend. He had this array of things a tape deck, a CD player (dead), pre-amp, fischer amp + fischer floor tower speakers.

The speackekers were rougly 2/3 my size in length i'm 1.65m so those were a bit big. Days later i bougt a Y-cable (3.5mm to RCA), connected my Fiio X3 (1st generation) which has a warm sound due toit's wolfson WM7840  DAC, it is musical and warm, sounding like a class A amp (the player whne used with phones).

I was used to "good sound" from  a BoseSoundDock series II i had (from my former iPod times), fired some FLAC files fromt eh fiio x3 line-out, rated at 2.0V ithink connected to my BF amp, the sound i hear, the sound i heard oh my screw*n God....

He cranked the vol. futher up, God. proceeded to play Some Harpsichord music (Louis couperin being played by Davitt Moroney/ Harmonia Mundi 1982) it' s so realistic like he was there, then played some orchestral music (I have assisted to orchestral & piano recitals so i know how it sounds in real-life) Holy Cow of the roman catholic church! the sound was the closest to reality (for 16/44.1) i was left jaw-dropped with square eyes
biggrin.gif
 we say this in mexico (dejarte con los ojos cuadrados, literally letting you with you eyes squared) when you are amused, I played then organ music, God amazing sound, so 3D (also the position he had them contributed to this, he told me a perfect equliateral triangle distances from speaker A to B and then facing towards you each other must from an equilaterous triangle)

For the first time in my life, I said Bose SUCKS
biggrin.gif
, my ex-AIWAI "hi-fi" stereo ALSO SUCKED
biggrin.gif
, when we visited the Telemann Museum Hamburg, they had a Iradio or something iHome or so speakers, (smaller than the bose soundDock) blasying some telemann Orchestral suites. I commented to my Guy, ufff your system (fischer) doesn't compare to this... your setup crushes my bose and this crap

And the fiio x3 has some implementation flaws, I often heard floating trebble instruments, as they ere playing in a balcony above me What???.

I want to go to Hamburg again and hear again the fischer speakers/amp but this time with my new DAP a Sony walkman A17 (and the Oppo HA-2, soon to be bought, perhaps during may)

In real-life i have heard Very good symphonic concerts, my most fond memories are with pinchas zuceermann playing Mozarts symphony No. 41 "Jupiter", as part as one of the universities here in Monterrey, Mexico, now gone forever (the artistic foundation in the lame excuse mexicans don't like classical msuic anymore and money issues), and the wrost of them was two piano recitals played in the state theatre, the acoustics of th eplace are horrible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back