OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
May 15, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,217 of 4,883
So you're saying that if you had a Schiit Ragnarok that would be able to cover any headphone for any music genre in terms of power output and assuming it has a low output impedance for multiple balanced armature in-ear earphones and a sufficient slew rate for even 24/192 music, but it sounds bad to you with a particular set of headphones that your headphones wouldn't be "driven" well?

That sounds more like synergy than anything. There would be no logical explanation to say that the headphones wouldn't be "driven" well providing that the Ragnarok is pretty much overkill for headphones.

Definitely agree it's more about synergy than raw power. I have no problem driving my Alpha Dogs with my HA-2, for example.

May 15, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #1,218 of 4,883
So you're saying that if you had a Schiit Ragnarok that would be able to cover any headphone for any music genre in terms of power output and assuming it has a low output impedance for multiple balanced armature in-ear earphones and a sufficient slew rate for even 24/192 music, but it sounds bad to you with a particular set of headphones that your headphones wouldn't be "driven" well?

That sounds more like synergy than anything. There would be no logical explanation to say that the headphones wouldn't be "driven" well providing that the Ragnarok is pretty much overkill for headphones.

I agree. Just saying that the loudness does not mean quality and performance. Iphone can be also very loud  
BTW, tried Ortofon e-q8 with oppo today. The sinergy here does exist. 
wink.gif

May 15, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,219 of 4,883
So I plan to return the Sony PHA-1A because of the brutal treble and go for the Oppo HA-2. I have a iPod Classic 7th Generation and plan to pair it with it. My other questions are will the HA-2 be able to handle my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohms? Also how is the bass boost of the HA-2? I listen to my iPod Classic with EQ off so I'm hoping the bass boost will give me a clean thump. Also is this a bright dac and amp?

May 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,220 of 4,883
So I plan to return the Sony PHA-1A because of the brutal treble and go for the Oppo HA-2. I have a iPod Classic 7th Generation and plan to pair it with it. My other questions are will the HA-2 be able to handle my Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohms? Also how is the bass boost of the HA-2? I listen to my iPod Classic with EQ off so I'm hoping the bass boost will give me a clean thump. Also is this a bright dac and amp?

Well, the HA-2 is about 2,5 times more powerful in comparison and it is definitely brighter than the pha-1A

May 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,222 of 4,883
I find the ha-2 to be more bright than warm, but in general it's a pretty neutral sounding amp. The bass boost is very clean. 

High gain should be able to drive the 770 pro 250s decently, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up listening at close to max volume - I strap a Cayin C5 to the top of the ha-2 when I want to drive full size cans. 

May 15, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,224 of 4,883
  they say the bass boost is a bit muddy overpowering?, really don't know as mine was shipped today, too son to tell

I haven't heard that yet, but maybe depending on what you're driving? The bass on the xba-z5 is very detailed out of the ha-2.

May 15, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #1,225 of 4,883

I haven't heard that yet, but maybe depending on what you're driving? The bass on the xba-z5 is very detailed out of the ha-2.

according to Oppo mine will be in my hands between 3 to 15 business days, let's see with the donkey riding turtle mail delivery system of mexico
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,226 of 4,883
I definitely don't use the bass boost on the HA-2 w/ my PM-3s...just a muddy mess for the most part.  Straight out of the amp with no adjustments is so much nicer.  I also don't think it's an especially bright amp, but that's more headphone dependent IMO.

May 15, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #1,228 of 4,883
I find the ha-2 to be more bright than warm, but in general it's a pretty neutral sounding amp. The bass boost is very clean. 

High gain should be able to drive the 770 pro 250s decently, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up listening at close to max volume - I strap a Cayin C5 to the top of the ha-2 when I want to drive full size cans. 

I just hope it's not a brutally bright like the PHA-1A. If I need to I'll strap my JDS Labs C5 to it.

they say the bass boost is a bit muddy overpowering?, really don't know as mine was shipped today, too son to tell

I read online that the HA-2 Bass Boost can't compare to JDS Labs C5 Bass Boost and I love my C5 Bass Boost but they said that the HA-2 is still good so I think I'll be fine. I'm more worried about the treble and brightness hurting my ears.

May 15, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,229 of 4,883

I agree with this statement.

the ha-2 definitely does not add any additional warmth to the sound signature if that is what you are looking for. i personally really enjoy the ha-2, but ymmv of course :)

May 15, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #1,230 of 4,883
  I definitely don't use the bass boost on the HA-2 w/ my PM-3s...just a muddy mess for the most part.  Straight out of the amp with no adjustments is so much nicer.  I also don't think it's an especially bright amp, but that's more headphone dependent IMO.

Much like my Walkman A10 series, headphone dependant, tried some XB headphones form a coworker and they sounded super sharp ouch!, tried some sennheisers from other coworker and sounded quite similar to my sony MDR-1R's quite pleasant and after that haha the senn owner tells me that they fired some bunch of people today morning 7x3 = ??.. eeek!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back