OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 8, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,286 of 4,883
A couple things: Since the Cayin will accept digital output from the iPhone, there is no load on it to drive. Its battery will last longer than the amp/DAC.

I haven't heard the Cayin, but looking at its specs, it's using the older Wolfson WM8740 DAC. The HA-2's Sabre ES9018K2M DAC is superior. To give you a point of reference for the Wolfson DAC, it's the same DAC that Apple used in the iPod 5th generation over a decade ago. That also helps to explain the price difference between the HA-2 and the Cayin C6.

Fair enough, I said I couldn't compare it to the ha-2, but both the C6 & the Ha-2 were an upgrade from the Vamp in sound alone, but the C6 had a lot of shortcomings in other areas. (After I reread my review of it on the C6 thread)

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,287 of 4,883
Fair enough, I said I couldn't compare it to the ha-2, but both the C6 & the Ha-2 were an upgrade from the Vamp in sound alone, but the C6 had a lot of shortcomings in other areas. (After I reread my review of it on the C6 thread)

Sorry, I didn't intend for that to be critical.

I haven't heard the C6; they could have implemented it very well. The specs just jumped out at me and I thought the limitations of the Wolfson DAC would be helpful for the dialogue.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #3,288 of 4,883
If anyone is looking for a great little pouch to house the Oppo HA-2, DAP, IEM, Cables and Chargers I have found a great item just for that. Hannahool D30 Tactical Outdoor Bag. http://www.amazon.com/Hannahool-Tactical-Outdoor-Casual-SAMSUNG/dp/B019CJWBHO

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #3,292 of 4,883
I don't understand how the recharging process works.  I want combo of HA-2/iPhone6 to provide maximum playing time so I don't want the HA-2 using its charge to recharge my iPhone while the HA-2 is driving my headphones.  I am assuming the ability to recharge iPhone6 battery is separate function and can be turned off when using the HA-2 to drive the headphones.  Yes/No?

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,293 of 4,883
What volume is safe to have on the HA2? I use ipod touch 6gn on it.i have the ipod on max,and the oppo 1,5 to 2 on the volume nob. I use the beyerdynamic t5p and shure se846. Is 2 to high? want to prevent damage to my ears. Hearing loss :)

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #3,294 of 4,883
  I don't understand how the recharging process works.  I want combo of HA-2/iPhone6 to provide maximum playing time so I don't want the HA-2 using its charge to recharge my iPhone while the HA-2 is driving my headphones.  I am assuming the ability to recharge iPhone6 battery is separate function and can be turned off when using the HA-2 to drive the headphones.  Yes/No?

Yes, the charging feature is toggled on/off by holding down the battery button (the LED lights up blue when it's in charging your usb device mode).

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,295 of 4,883
Do you guys use the bass boost on the ha-2? Does it ruin/destroy for the mids /trebles?

I tried it with the SE846 and didn't care for it.  They already have enough bass, anyway.  I also run the HA-2 in low gain mode.  It just sounded like those mods got in the way of the music a bit.  So I tuned the SE846 to sound better in low gain mode and w/o the bass boost.  FWIW.

RCB

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #3,297 of 4,883
Do you guys use the bass boost on the ha-2? Does it ruin/destroy for the mids /trebles?

Quote:

I tried it with the SE846 and didn't care for it.  They already have enough bass, anyway.  I also run the HA-2 in low gain mode.  It just sounded like those mods got in the way of the music a bit.  So I tuned the SE846 to sound better in low gain mode and w/o the bass boost.  FWIW.

RCB

I do not use the bass boost with the SE846 since they have a lot of bass already. I do use it with the T5p with some genre, such as EDM or hip-hop.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #3,298 of 4,883
What volume is safe to have on the HA2? I use ipod touch 6gn on it.i have the ipod on max,and the oppo 1,5 to 2 on the volume nob. I use the beyerdynamic t5p and shure se846. Is 2 to high? want to prevent damage to my ears. Hearing loss
smily_headphones1.gif

The volume knob setting is going to be highly dependent on the headphone's impedance and sensitivity and the recording level of the song you're playing. So even between the T5p and the SE846, to achieve the same loudness level, the setting on the HA-2 volume knob will be different.

Beyerdynamic T5p's impedance is 32 Ohms with a sensitivity of 102 dB/mW.
Shure SE846's impedance is 9 Ohms with a sensitivity of 114 dB/mW.

As you can see, the SE846 is significantly easier to drive than the already easy to drive T5p.

Lastly, there is a human component to the volume setting. Even within the "safe hearing threshold," some people prefer a quieter setting while others would like to have more volume. So you'll have to be the judge of volume that works for you. That said, if you ever have ringing in your ears after a listening session, your volume is too high and you should lower the volume.

If it's helpful, for the SE846, with the volume knob set at 2 on low gain, it's as loud as I'd want to hear it. One caveat, it may be different on your SE846; I have custom silver cables for my SE846 and the impedance will likely be lower than the stock cables they come with.

On the T5p, having the volume knob set to 3 and a quarter on low gain is more than enough for me.

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #3,299 of 4,883
Hello, i've had my Oppo for a couple of weeks, my first DAC & amp.  The last few days on my daily commute after about 20 minutes I get some distortion or interference (for lack of better words).  I'm going to start doing some trouble shooting when I have time with a different source & cable but wondering if anyone had a similar issue?  If I plug my earphones directly into my phone once the problem starts I dont have any issues so seems to be something with the Oppo setup.  

My current set up is Galaxy s6, Audiofly AF180's, the current cable is an angled one from ebay (got the link from someone on here) & DB poweramp

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,300 of 4,883
  Hello, i've had my Oppo for a couple of weeks, my first DAC & amp.  The last few days on my daily commute after about 20 minutes I get some distortion or interference (for lack of better words).  I'm going to start doing some trouble shooting when I have time with a different source & cable but wondering if anyone had a similar issue?  If I plug my earphones directly into my phone once the problem starts I dont have any issues so seems to be something with the Oppo setup.  

My current set up is Galaxy s6, Audiofly AF180's, the current cable is an angled one from ebay (got the link from someone on here) & DB poweramp

I have described the same problem earlier in this topic, looks like defective device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back