OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,271 of 4,883
Upsampling is pointless. All it does is fill the data with blank bits and add empty frequency samples.

Up sampling may be pointless, but setting it up at 32bit/192 kHz is not. If you set the Mac output to say, 16 bit/44.1 kHz and you're playing a 24 bit/ 96 kHz file, the Mac would down sample the output, which would be a bad idea.

By setting it 32/192, you don't have to worry about your higher quality files being down sampled and the up sampling doesn't hurt anything anyway.

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #3,272 of 4,883
Funny - I emailed them just now to ask about how to set up Onkyo HF Player for my iPhone to use with the HA-2, and for that use they told me to set up sampling to OFF.

So mobile is different than laptop?

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,273 of 4,883
Funny - I emailed them just now to ask about how to set up Onkyo HF Player for my iPhone to use with the HA-2, and for that use they told me to set up sampling to OFF.

So mobile is different than laptop?

If I recall correctly, HF Player will decode the file to whatever it's encoded to without the need to up sample. But I find its interface to be too clunky and have switched to iAudioGate.

Much better interface and the conversion information and output device are all up front and easy to see. And it works just as well as HF Player and is made by Korg, so not a fly-by-night outfit.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #3,274 of 4,883
Update --- I now officially love my HA-2 after finally allowing myself to tinker some. If this were a novel, I'd title it "The Night My HA-2 Came Alive"...

Anyway, I was out on my usual evening walk with the dogs. I did my usual "bass boost on a few songs, off on a few songs" and as always wasn't completely happy with either option. On some songs I'd find the bass boost to be perfect. On others, it felt too muddy and hijacked the mids and treble.

Then, I had a completely random thought. I recalled the time I learned how AC/DC achieved their incredible guitar tone --- by volume, rather than distortion. Can't remember how or where I learned it, but just something along the lines of by cranking their volume to max on their amps on the clean channel...then getting proper mic levels...accounted for the sweet/tight/crunch sound. As opposed to cranking a distortion channel, which many people mistakenly do.

I realized it wasn't apples to apples, but it made decide to actually experiment with my gain switch on the HA-2. I'd always kept it on low because of how many times I'd read that my PM-3s were such incredibly efficient cans (I just assumed they'd work on low). So when I thought of the AC/DC approach...and realized how I am actually a pretty low-level listener (I usually keep the pot at 3 or less)...I wondered if that "approach" would work best. So I switched to high-gain...dialed the pot down a smidgeon to get the same level output into my ears...then ran through the same tracks.

HOLY CRAP!!!

It honestly sounded like a night and day different amp. Everything was suddenly so full...so clean...nicely separated...awesome low-end...snappy...and so forth. It was great -- I probably broke out in a smile at least half a dozen times.

I may be an idiot for not thinking of this sooner, but I'm glad I did! I officially now see no reason to lust after the Mojo or anything else --- this is perfect for my needs.

A happy camper and no additional expense! That's not the HeadFi way. Go while you still can!
Seriously. Very pleased to hear. I hope your contentment continues. :)

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #3,275 of 4,883

Completely agree, high gain is much cleaner sounding in my opinion.

Also what's a good usb-to-micro usb cable to use with this thing (for macbook use, very short cable preferred)? 

Willing to pay for quality if it's actually worth it

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #3,277 of 4,883
Just had mine turn up. Anything I need to do to run it in?

Any head-FI recommended settings to use? Will just be connected to my iPhone listening to 320kbs mp3s played from Cesium or stock Music app initially.

Oh and using RHA T20i IEMs.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #3,278 of 4,883
Just had mine turn up. Anything I need to do to run it in?

Any head-FI recommended settings to use? Will just be connected to my iPhone listening to 320kbs mp3s played from Cesium or stock Music app initially.

Oh and using RHA T20i IEMs.

There really is no set-up to do. With IEMs you're going to be using low-gain...so the only thing to figure out is if you like bass boost on or off.

(and of course to learn the various inputs and make sure you've got the A/B/C slider set to the correct one)

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #3,279 of 4,883
Used HA-2s are hiding in the bushes right now and I'm thinking it's best to buy one new.  Any thoughts from participants in this thread about serious alternative under $300 that will mate well with an iPhone 6 that I should consider?  Thanks

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #3,280 of 4,883
  Used HA-2s are hiding in the bushes right now and I'm thinking it's best to buy one new.  Any thoughts from participants in this thread about serious alternative under $300 that will mate well with an iPhone 6 that I should consider?  Thanks

Not much if you require the full feature set of the HA-2.

If you are willing to compromise, the new versions (Red or Black) of the AQ Dragonfly will work with an iPhone 6, but only up to 24/96 resolution. It also lacks the bass boost and integral battery that can charge the phone in a pinch.

"Will mate well" is also crucial in terms of headphone synergy, so if the above HA-2 features aren't that important to you, maybe your choice is based on what headphone you use and also just your personal subjective sonic preference.

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #3,281 of 4,883

To add to MikeyFresh's comments, don't forget about Apple certification. If the amp/DAC you're looking at doesn't have Apple's blessing, then you'll need the CCK to get hi-res bits out of the iPhone using Onkyo HF Player or iAudioGate. For example Sony's PHA-1A is a competitor to the HA-2, but it does not have Apple certification, which makes it more cumbersome to use with 24bit/96 kHz FLAC.

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #3,282 of 4,883

Yep,V-Moda Vamp Verza was pretty notable, as well as the Cayin C6.

I can't quite remember how well the Cayin sounded, so I can't compare it to the Ha-2, but...

Sound: Ha2/C6 > Verza
Appearance: (subjective) Ha2 = C6 > Verza
Functions :Verza>Ha-2>C6
Reliability: (Frequency of disconnects, noise floor, and interference): Verza > C6 > Ha-2
Size/Weight Ha-2 is smallest and lightest, Verza
Some other things: All 3 have a bass toggle
C6 can't charge your device nor will it work with any non iOS device (including a desktop)
C6 is also the cheapest

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #3,283 of 4,883
Thanks to all for thoughts and recommendations so far.  I'll check out the alternatives and keep things like Apple cert in mind.  Cayin is new to me and I'm struck by sound rating on par with HA-2.  I don't have experience with iOS9/iphone6 battery drain when powering something like the Cayin driving Shure se846/Noble6 IEM's listening to FLAC files. Any thoughts?

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #3,284 of 4,883
  Thanks to all for thoughts and recommendations so far.  I'll check out the alternatives and keep things like Apple cert in mind.  Cayin is new to me and I'm struck by sound rating on par with HA-2.  I don't have experience with iOS9/iphone6 battery drain when powering something like the Cayin driving Shure se846/Noble6 IEM's listening to FLAC files. Any thoughts?

Also maybe check out the Teac HA-P50. It's Apple certified...$100 to $120 cheaper than OPPO's HA-2...and you can Amazon Prime it.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #3,285 of 4,883

A couple things: Since the Cayin will accept digital output from the iPhone, there is no load on it to drive. Its battery will last longer than the amp/DAC.

I haven't heard the Cayin, but looking at its specs, it's using the older Wolfson WM8740 DAC. The HA-2's Sabre ES9018K2M DAC is superior. To give you a point of reference for the Wolfson DAC, it's the same DAC that Apple used in the iPod 5th generation over a decade ago. That also helps to explain the price difference between the HA-2 and the Cayin C6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back