Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #4,741 of 5,414
But... isn't the headamp output derived from the xlr outputs? Seems like he's just adding the buffering/gain stage to the outputs.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #4,742 of 5,414
But... isn't the headamp output derived from the xlr outputs? Seems like he's just adding the buffering/gain stage to the outputs.

No, the outputs in back are separate from the headphone outputs in front. The former are driven by op amps and the latter by expensive class A components.

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #4,743 of 5,414
But the headamp is fed a balanced signal... so somewhere within the chain the signal is split. The question is whether the headamp is fed directly from a split off the dac, or is there a split from the xlr outputs that feeds into the headamp.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #4,744 of 5,414
Well, instead of retorting the inner wires. He could simply made the cables XLR4 to Speakers or whatever speakers connectors were ? This is good info, I will be doing that cables in the future.

Also, Op-amp isn't all that bad. Though I never tried the XLR preamp out. Is the volume controllable ? Op-amp could be modified to be removable by using Burson set which is one of the finest op-amp on the market ATM.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4,745 of 5,414
1) The xlr out at the back, the voltage is controllable in the analog domain - it is a pre-amp out. The pre--amp stage uses non discrete componenrs (op-amps in this case). As it is a pre-amp out, there is no classification of class A or AB or D etc.

2) The headphone output (be it the front1/4 inch output or front balanced output), however, has gone through a pre-anp stage and a class A power amp stage. These two stages of electeonics use expensive discrete components - no op-amps. These two stages make up the headphone amp which is build on a separate circuit board.

Part 2) is what makes the HA-1 great as a headphone amp. Part 1) is whar makes HA-1 ok as a pre-amp. However, someone has suggested long ago why not use the headphone output as a preamp signal to an external amp since it still a low level signal, and a high quality one at that? It is unconventional. But a smart move, as a large part of the money used to build the HA-1 goes to the headphone amp and it is a high quality signal.

What I am trying to do here is not my idea. It has long been proposed in these hundreds of pages of discussion on HA-1 by others. I have got the idea from them, from this thread itself.

But why I ask is not as important as the question I am trying to ask - can anyone help direct me to get such a cable? - xlr 4 pin out (male) to 2 times XLR 3-pin (male).

Thank you.

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #4,746 of 5,414
can anyone help direct me to get such a cable? - xlr 4 pin out (male) to 2 times XLR 3-pin (male).

I may have found one https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/4-pin-dual-3-pin-adaptor-cable

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #4,748 of 5,414
Looks like that 4-pin XLR is the wrong gender to connect to the balanced headphone out on the HA-1.  What's needed is a 4-pin XLR male to left and right RCA female connectors.  If you can accept more metal in the connector chain you could go 4-pin XLR male to left and right 3-pin XLR female then use existing 3-pin XLR male to RCA female adapters:  https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GXM-133-RCA-XLR3M-Adaptor/dp/B000068O4D  That hardware chain would fit but I have no idea how the wiring might need to be done.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #4,751 of 5,414
  Exactly, Oppo made the USB DAC input not allowing the computer to change volume.  So now volume changes are by volume knob, remote control, or by playback software being utilized.

Hi, sorry for the noob question but I am able to change the from volume from Windows using the little icon found in the system tray.

This happens with both Home Theather Bypass option in Standard or Bypass mode.
I should also mention that I detect no difference whatsoever when switching between the two (apart from the click HA-1 makes).

Also, apart from the power plug, the only cable inserted into the back of HA-1 is a USB 2.0 cable leading from #1 in the image below to a USB port found in the PC's mainboard.
Oh...and only headphones (Sennheiser HD650) are connected to the HA-1's front via the 6.35mm jack.

Shouldn't I be able to change the volume so? 
I'm a bit more than confused, please help.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #4,752 of 5,414
You probably don't want Windows to control the HA-1 volume.  What most owners are looking for is "bit perfect" output from your computer to the HA-1.  You want the HA-1 to attenuate the signal as necessary.  

That's why you'll find recommendations in this thread to configure the Oppo's driver to allow your media player to have "exclusive" control of the HA-1.  That way windows can't bing, beep and bong over your music. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #4,753 of 5,414
  You probably don't want Windows to control the HA-1 volume.  What most owners are looking for is "bit perfect" output from your computer to the HA-1.  You want the HA-1 to attenuate the signal as necessary.  

That's why you'll find recommendations in this thread to configure the Oppo's driver to allow your media player to have "exclusive" control of the HA-1.  That way windows can't bing, beep and bong over your music. 

Agreed with this, but it also sounds like ASIO drivers are loaded, and thus, bypassing the Windows controls (preferable IMO).

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #4,754 of 5,414
Thanks for the reply, 

Thank you for the reply,

I still feel lost and somehow I think you didn't fully address my concern, so I will try to rephrase relative to your reply.

Let's say I do want to give HA-1 exclusive control over the volume, HOW do I do that?
HA-1's driver only allows for 2 settings to be changed, under the Buffer Settings tab:
1. USB Streaming Mode (set to Safe)
2. ASIO Buffer Size (set to AUTO) 

As for the Volume tab, please see image below.
Pressing the blue speaker icon (the only active option) mutes & unmutes everything.

Sorry for being so lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back