Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #4,696 of 5,414
  Question for you guys, I just bought an HA-1 and I'd like to use it as a pre-amp, as I don't have enough to buy both another pre-amp and a speaker amplifier. What would ya'll recommend?
I would like it to have silver finish, be the approximate size of the HA-1, and preferably have balanced inputs.

It all depends on what kind of budget you have and what kind of speakers you're planning on driving.

Personally, I've used my Oppo a few times as a pre-amp feeding a massive Cary Audio tube amp.  Not a typical pairing, but it certainly was entertaining.  

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #4,697 of 5,414
Question for you guys, I just bought an HA-1 and I'd like to use it as a pre-amp, as I don't have enough to buy both another pre-amp and a speaker amplifier. What would ya'll recommend?
I would like it to have silver finish, be the approximate size of the HA-1, and preferably have balanced inputs.

Doesn't the HA-1 meet all of those criteria? What's wrong with the HA-1?

Edit: were you asking for power amp recommendations for your speakers?

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #4,698 of 5,414
  It all depends on what kind of budget you have and what kind of speakers you're planning on driving.

Personally, I've used my Oppo a few times as a pre-amp feeding a massive Cary Audio tube amp.  Not a typical pairing, but it certainly was entertaining.  

Good point, since I have never had a speaker set up before, all I'm sure of is that I'd like a stereo setup, I'd like to spend less $1,000, and I would like it to fit the HA-1 asthetic.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #4,700 of 5,414
I'm irrationally lusting after the Schiit Vidar's right now, for no reason than the grass is always greener.  I'd like to try them as mono blocks coming off my HA-1 (currently running the HA-1 as a DAC/preamp for my Classe 2300)

Not available yet (hence the irrationality) but looks very interesting at the price point

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #4,701 of 5,414
Nov 17, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #4,703 of 5,414
  I'm irrationally lusting after the Schiit Vidar's right now
..snip..
Not available yet (hence the irrationality) but looks very interesting at the price point

While they're not a cosmetic match to the HA-1, the Vidar should prove to be an excellent choice for a sub $1k amplifier.
Schiit makes some great products.  They're hard to beat in the "bang-for-the-buck" department.  

I believe the Vidar has balanced XLR input which will mate up with the HA-1's balanced output rather nicely.

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,704 of 5,414
What speakers are you using and how much power do you need into what kind of load?

Well see thats the thing, I am still doing my research there, I've always been a headphone guy, but I hate letting all those outputs in the oppo go to waist. Maybe a set of Polk Audio TSi400s or maybe some KlipschR-24Fs. I need to establish a baseline first since sound taste is so subjective.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #4,706 of 5,414
Well see thats the thing, I am still doing my research there, I've always been a headphone guy, but I hate letting all those outputs in the oppo go to waist. Maybe a set of Polk Audio TSi400s or maybe some KlipschR-24Fs. I need to establish a baseline first since sound taste is so subjective.

In that price class, I think it's going to be challenging finding an appropriate balanced amp. You should be spending a lot more of your budget on your speakers than on your amp, so that means you'd be looking at amps in a price range that doesn't include any balanced models. The Schiit and Parasound, etc., would all be overkill for those speakers.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #4,707 of 5,414
In that price class, I think it's going to be challenging finding an appropriate balanced amp. You should be spending a lot more of your budget on your speakers than on your amp, so that means you'd be looking at amps in a price range that doesn't include any balanced models. The Schiit and Parasound, etc., would all be overkill for those speakers.

Ok that makes sense, and I do plan to get something more refiened down the line, any recommendations?

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #4,708 of 5,414
Ok that makes sense, and I do plan to get something more refiened down the line, any recommendations?

I have a Magnepan .7 pair with my HA-1 as preamp and an ATI power amp. I totally love my Maggies, but they need several feet of space behind them and plenty of current to power them.

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #4,710 of 5,414
Have you looked at active speakers? They'd simplify your setup and take the guesswork out of power amp pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back