Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #4,666 of 5,414
Powercord is in the house. Sneak peak ! It is not burned in yet....

I was able to listen to it for only a brief moment, but it was very impressive. The vocal came more forward , soundstage is cleaned up nicely, there was "grains" in the further back ground now it is gone, bass is more controlled, Dynamics is noticeably improved across the board, micro details are more revealing. All in all is very impressive.

After 12 hours burn-in....still a long way to go. The bass extensions is clearly surfacing :D wow! The improvements are awesome to the teeths...if you ever felt like Ha-1 is lacking the "soul" in the music. Try to find yourself a good Powercord.

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4,668 of 5,414
Nice. Which power cord is that?

DIY power cord. You can make it too, and it is relatively easy, you can follow this for recipes and materials. Some wire stripper, screws are the tools you need.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diymains.html

I made mine a bit different but under the same inspirations using UPOCC wires and UPOCC copper 24k gold plated plugs

It is not cheap to buy the materials though, and I was skeptical at first. However I was too curious and got some pretty positive confirmations regarding Powercord and it improvements. The improvements are totally worth it. So if you could turn some screw, and strip some wires, I encourage you to do the Powercord.

Oct 22, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #4,669 of 5,414
Well that looks like it would be a fun project. Unfortunately my plate is always full. I bought a Pangea Audio AC 14SE MKII Signature cable, and I have been very happy with it. Build quality is very nice and it did not break the bank.

Oct 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #4,671 of 5,414
When I bought my HA-1, I bought the Pangea and the AQ Carbon USB cable at the same time. The unit never had the stock power cable attached to it, so I have nothing to compare it to. What I do know is that is sounds really really good!!:grinning:

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #4,672 of 5,414
So today I encountered a very strange thing with Ha-1. When powered on and play like normal, my headphones had volume imbalance issue. The left channel was playing at 30-40% lower than the right. The volume knob behaved weirdly that it would only turn the volume up so much even at max, and when at lowest it is sitting at 30% or so. Both high-normal gain does the same thing.

So, I when ahead and tried updating my firmware....while being nervous :D I don't have enough time enjoying ha1 yet, do not want any problems that need attentions...yet.

So...Voilaa, after the firmware update, it started acting normal again from the volume being more balanced, and needed a couple restart to have the volume knob behave correctly.

Thanks for the link that provided the upgrade guys !

(http://oppodownloads.s3.amazonaws.com/HA-1_1.4.3.rar)

Oct 24, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4,673 of 5,414
So...Voilaa, after the firmware update, it started acting normal again from the volume being more balanced, and needed a couple restart to have the volume knob behave correctly.

Thanks for the link that provided the upgrade guys !

(http://oppodownloads.s3.amazonaws.com/HA-1_1.4.3.rar)

A question on the side: how does one apply the firmware upgrade? I couldn't find any instructions. I see in the RAR file that there is an .exe file in there. Does this mean that Mac users cannot use this update?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #4,674 of 5,414
A question on the side: how does one apply the firmware upgrade? I couldn't find any instructions. I see in the RAR file that there is an .exe file in there. Does this mean that Mac users cannot use this update?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Not sure about Mac, I used Windows. Plugged HA1 into the computer, downloaded the driver pack for Windows from Oppo website, then downloaded the firmware, made sure the connected device listed HA-1 with the driver software, then open up the unzipped firmware and use exe. File. The computer and HA1 automatically doing their own job

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #4,676 of 5,414
I did a little experiment tonight and plugged my Oppo into my vinyl rig.

It's connected to the Tape-Out of the Primaluna Dialogue Three tube preamp.

A completely different listening experience!

6F1BA8FB-C293-48FA-95CF-1688575590C5_zpsehf9xwan.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 4, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #4,677 of 5,414
Finally got the HA1 and liking the pairing with Beyerdynamic T1.2's. Just knew my T1.2's had more personality and the HA1 has given them new life. So excited!

Question. Does anyone with an HA1 listen to hard rock/heavy metal music. If yes, can you please let me know what source and desktop app you use. Also wondering if DSD files exist for the music genre I like. Thanks

Nov 4, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #4,678 of 5,414
  Finally got the HA1 and liking the pairing with Beyerdynamic T1.2's. Just knew my T1.2's had more personality and the HA1 has given them new life. So excited!

Question. Does anyone with an HA1 listen to hard rock/heavy metal music. If yes, can you please let me know what source and desktop app you use. Also wondering if DSD files exist for the music genre I like. Thanks

I listen through Foobar still, using ASIO driver for the HA1. However, I believe JRiver has you covered for DSDs, though I don't believe there's much out there for metal. I still buy CDs and burn 'em to WAV files and listen through Foobar. I can queue up every Dream Theater album and just let it rip for hours. :)

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #4,679 of 5,414

I use JRiver Media Center.  It plays everything I've thrown at it - including DSD files.   It also does a fantastic job of pairing with the hardware.

There are some DSD files available - but not many.  You'll find more titles/options on the likes of HDTracks in traditional lossless formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back