Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jun 30, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #4,442 of 5,414
It would be nice but they seem to be concentrating on other things.. I have been Googling new Ha1 for months.
A few modders have made the HA1 a lot more special but thats it. I got mine singing by cleaning the internal connectors inside the OPPO..

I blew my stop smoking savings on a new Amp Dac. So I am keeping my OPPO for a week or so before selling it on...

The jump in SQ isn't that vast..But I want an end game in a few years..
Yaggy + End game amp + top end headphones..

3 years the market should be V different. and Yaggy v2 or others should be in my sights... Baby first...

Will miss my first love...Ha1..

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #4,443 of 5,414
Is oppo working on a successor?

I wouldnt be surprised if Oppo releases a new amp+dac this fall before CES 2017 in Vegas. I finally got to the endgame which I will keep now for many years, very happy with it, but my Oppo tought me alot of tweaks and opened up all the USB noise stuff really, so mine will get sold further. I will prob put it up for sale here in Norway this coming weekend.. 

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #4,444 of 5,414
  Hey guys, I'm new here to Head-Fi but not new to the audio game...I just got a Oppo HA-1 with HD600's listening to my iPad as a source (TIDAL and Foobar uPNP) and was wondering if this is normal-

My only question is, does the iPad always output in PCM 44.1/16? I have a lot of 192khz material on my HTPC that I stream via Foobar2000's uPNP component into the iPad (also running Foobar Mobile). No matter what resolution file I play the HA-1 does not change its input stream.

However, playing high rez files the HA-1 still says PCM 44.1/16, where as my Emotiva connected to my 2ch set up in another room will correctly read 192khz, or similar.

So is the problem the Oppo, iPad, or Foobar, and is there any way to get bit-perfect streams to the HA-1 using this set up?

Here's an obligatory photo of my listening and reading nook (since newbs can't embed photos):

https://i.imgur.com/lbiomy5.jpg

Thanks!

From the Oppo HA-1 specs page:

Mobile USB Audio Input (USB A Type)
Input FormatStereo PCM
PCM Sampling Frequencies44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
ProfileUSB 2.0, USB Audio 2.0
VBUS Power Output+5 V, 2.1 A

So it appears the issue is the Oppo for HiRez stuff.

As to your set up, seems good to me, especially if you enjoy it. I doubt you can tell the difference between the CD quality and the HiRez stuff with just an HA-1 and an HD600. If you could, it's probably very minor. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #4,445 of 5,414
I have a growing collection of 24-bit / 96kHz music.  I even have a few 24-bit / 176.4kHz tracks.
The Oppo might not be the best choice for Hi-Res music as it has to be "down sampled" to 16/44.1

** retracted **
I looked at the manual again - the front panel mobile input is limited.  The rear USB panel is not.  

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4,446 of 5,414
Just a quick note to thank the folks at Oppo Digital ...

I've been enjoying my HA-1 for over a year now, on a series of headphones (HD800/ HD650 / LCD-X / T90).  The sound has been awesome, but I recently ran into some intermittent issues with the volume control. After a quick chat with tech support (spoke to a live human within a few seconds), I sent in the unit and it was quickly fixed.  I even had it back in my hands in literally a few days.

Not only does the HA-1 sound awesome, the company is solid and really goes out of their way to support their customers.

If you're thinking of purchasing this DAC/Amp you won't be disappointed.

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #4,447 of 5,414
  I recently ran into some intermittent issues with the volume control. After a quick chat with tech support (spoke to a live human within a few seconds), I sent in the unit and it was quickly fixed.  I even had it back in my hands in literally a few days.

I had the exact same experience.  I was getting intermittent noise when rotating the volume knob.  I also had intermittent volume discrepancy between the left & right channels.   Oppo replaced the volume control and returned it incredibly quick.   

Jul 1, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #4,448 of 5,414
  Just a quick note to thank the folks at Oppo Digital ...

I've been enjoying my HA-1 for over a year now, on a series of headphones (HD800/ HD650 / LCD-X / T90).  The sound has been awesome, but I recently ran into some intermittent issues with the volume control. After a quick chat with tech support (spoke to a live human within a few seconds), I sent in the unit and it was quickly fixed.  I even had it back in my hands in literally a few days.

Not only does the HA-1 sound awesome, the company is solid and really goes out of their way to support their customers.

If you're thinking of purchasing this DAC/Amp you won't be disappointed.

I had the exact same experience.  I was getting intermittent noise when rotating the volume knob.  I also had intermittent volume discrepancy between the left & right channels.   Oppo replaced the volume control and returned it incredibly quick.   

One of my absolute favorite things is when a company gets back in touch with you quickly and resolves any problems or answers any questions without me having to wait weeks or months for help (or not at all). Glad to hear you guys have had good experiences with that.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #4,450 of 5,414
The recent conversation in this thread about the high-resolution capabilities of the front panel USB port inspired me to take a few screen shots to share.

I use JRiver to stream music to my Oppo HA-1 over a USB connection.  (The USB "B" port on the rear panel, not the front)
In my music library I have a couple of DSD tracks.  I didn't realize that I didn't have JRiver configured properly to stream DSD music.

Here's a screen cap of JRiver.  This album is encoded 1-bit / 2.8224 MHz

To get JRiver to use "native" DSD streaming I had to flip the bit streaming option to "DSD".

During playback you can check the audio path and see that JRiver is using DSD streaming.

And most importantly; its reflected on the Oppo HA-1 display.

Without the DSD setting configured properly, JRiver was converting the output signal to PCM 176.4/32
Had I paid closer attention to the Oppo display, I might have caught my mistake sooner.

I hope this info is useful to my fellow HA-1 owners.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #4,451 of 5,414
If you really want to get nuts, the HA-1 will stream DSD256 files.   That's 1-bit at 11.2896 MHz - about 4x times the sampling rate of SACDs and 256 times CD.  
You can download a couple of free DSD tracks from NativeDSD.com 

It's not too often that you'll see this audio format on your display

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #4,452 of 5,414
  The recent conversation in this thread about the high-resolution capabilities of the front panel USB port inspired me to take a few screen shots to share.

I use JRiver to stream music to my Oppo HA-1 over a USB connection.  (The USB "B" port on the rear panel, not the front)
In my music library I have a couple of DSD tracks.  I didn't realize that I didn't have JRiver configured properly to stream DSD music.

Here's a screen cap of JRiver.  This album is encoded 1-bit / 2.8224 MHz

To get JRiver to use "native" DSD streaming I had to flip the bit streaming option to "DSD".

During playback you can check the audio path and see that JRiver is using DSD streaming.

And most importantly; its reflected on the Oppo HA-1 display.

Without the DSD setting configured properly, JRiver was converting the output signal to PCM 176.4/32
Had I paid closer attention to the Oppo display, I might have caught my mistake sooner.

I hope this info is useful to my fellow HA-1 owners.

So, were you able to hear any difference once you switched to DSD?

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #4,453 of 5,414
Hmm, I need to get hold of some true DSD files and test the Oppo with that before I sell it.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #4,454 of 5,414
So, were you able to hear any difference once you switched to DSD?

I couldn't tell you that I heard any difference by switching to DSD.  For me, it was about making sure the signal is not transformed in anyway.  If the HA-1 can support DSD I would prefer to avoid converting it to PCM.  I am detail oriented person and an old-school techie - the PCM conversion shouldn't have slipped my normally watchful eye.  

One of the few albums that I own in multiple high resolution formats is Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Boulevard.  
I queued up a 24/192 FLAC version of "I shot the sheriff" and compared it to an SACD version stored in a DSFF file format.  

I can tell you that in this instance, I prefer the DSD/SACD version of the file.  There are many reasons; mastering being the first; why one version of the same track would sound different than the other.  It would be unfair to extrapolate from a sample of one that DSD sounds better than 24/192.  I can only report that on this album, I prefer the DSD/SACD version.   

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #4,455 of 5,414
Thanks @T Bone 

Are you saying the FLAC version is mastered differently than the SACD version? If that's the case, then FLAC vs DSD isn't really applicable here. I suppose to tell, you could use a conversion program to convert the DSD version to FLAC, then try. If you care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back