Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #4,261 of 5,414
Sorry if this has already been discussed but a search did not produce a reliable answer.  I just sold my Nuforce Icon HDP and am ready to pull the trigger on the HA-1.  My Sony computer has an S/PDIF optical output and that's what I used with the HDP.  My question is, is there a sound quality difference between optical and USB inputs on the HA-1?  When I asked Oppo about this, I am not sure their answer is clear to me:

[COLOR=000000]"USB is a better connection if you want stereo audio, while optical from your computer would be better if you want to Bit Stream Dolby Digital or DTS to the player."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Clearly, the HA-1 is a stereo unit and I am not sure what to make of the Dolby Digital and DTS references.[/COLOR]
He should have said just use USB. He meant that he prefers toslink for surround applications in general, not for the oppo, which is a stereo unit.

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #4,262 of 5,414
  Sorry if this has already been discussed but a search did not produce a reliable answer.  I just sold my Nuforce Icon HDP and am ready to pull the trigger on the HA-1.  My Sony computer has an S/PDIF optical output and that's what I used with the HDP.  My question is, is there a sound quality difference between optical and USB inputs on the HA-1?  When I asked Oppo about this, I am not sure their answer is clear to me:

"USB is a better connection if you want stereo audio, while optical from your computer would be better if you want to Bit Stream Dolby Digital or DTS to the player."

Clearly, the HA-1 is a stereo unit and I am not sure what to make of the Dolby Digital and DTS references.

the Dolby Digital and DTS reference is in case you want to pass through the audio to a Home Theater.

"Better" most likely refers to the potential for higher bit rates supported but eh HA-1 for each of the interfaces. The USB intercase can support 352.8 and 384 kHz, as well as DSD. If you don't need crazy high frequencies or DSD, you aren't likely to be able to tell the difference between Toslink and USB.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #4,265 of 5,414
For some unknown reason, the rear USB packed up on mine,although everything else is ok. i am beginning to notice a sharpening of the treble,if that makes sense,with both the HD800,and the HE1000,and both sounded better on my HiFi M8!. Strange. Try another DAC with the HA1?.

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #4,266 of 5,414
  For some unknown reason, the rear USB packed up on mine,although everything else is ok. i am beginning to notice a sharpening of the treble,if that makes sense,with both the HD800,and the HE1000,and both sounded better on my HiFi M8!. Strange. Try another DAC with the HA1?.

LOL. I had to look up "packed up

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/pack-up

If the USB is not working, that could be indicative of a larger issue. You should get the whole device serviced, or at least open  conversation with Oppo on a path forward to resolving the issue. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #4,268 of 5,414
Wow. Color me impressed. Much the sonic signature of the 105 headphone out but more power and finer detail. I'm definitely hearing subtle background things in recordings that were faint or inaudible before. Has a decisive  ( analytical? ) resolution that may not appeal to the warm/fuzzy crowd but sounds great to me. Gonna have to get a usb fan tho', this thing gets hot  =D

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #4,269 of 5,414
I did think of one of the ultra silent PC fans like Zalman/Noctua and place under the intake grill. You can get usb kits and cheap filter material.. Run it off the I phone connecter at the front....

Just a thought...

Ect
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scythe-Slip-Stream-Case-1200/dp/B002A97IIG

http://www.quietpc.com/gel-fan-controller?gclid=CjwKEAjw_ci3BRDSvfjortr--DQSJADU8f2jxkCMb3aE2LsD1ylQ6R-tDU0bn8H0tB91sd7vWPo6YxoCPsbw_wcB

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_18053.html

Better solutions about but you get the idea...

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #4,271 of 5,414
These look pretty cool.  Might get them.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-MULTIFAN-Receiver-Playstation/dp/B00G05A2MU/ref=pd_sim_147_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51AFpeOHAcL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QQP2XJMEE1PRF72MC2B

Maybe you can mod this onto the HA-1's grill.  If there's room.

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AIRPLATE-Cooling-Cabinets/dp/B009CNR0I6/ref=pd_sim_147_13?ie=UTF8&dpID=513A31rNbBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0S2Z156S4V8WAH7Z365X

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #4,272 of 5,414
Unless people are reporting that their HA-1 died to heat then there is no reason to cool it with a fan.  It is designed to get hot and actually work its best when it reaches temperature.  Many silicon IC's have a THD at a certain temperature / voltage that they perform their best.  In fact, you could introduce more EMI noise into the audio signal by placing a fan underneath the  HA-1 not to mention even the most silent fans create audible noise.   

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #4,273 of 5,414
haha yeah my computer modding imagination kicked in, although it does get pretty dang hot.  Sometimes it's almost burning to the touch, sometimes not.  Only bought mine a couple months ago so I can only imagine how hot it will be during the summer.  Or how hot it will make my room become.  Unless it knows not to get that hot if the temperature is warmer?

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #4,274 of 5,414
  haha yeah my computer modding imagination kicked in, although it does get pretty dang hot.  Sometimes it's almost burning to the touch, sometimes not.  Only bought mine a couple months ago so I can only imagine how hot it will be during the summer.  Or how hot it will make my room become.  Unless it knows not to get that hot if the temperature is warmer?

You will be fine, unless you are using it in a desert with the sun shining directly on it.  Oppo has sold countless of these units and although I haven't done a search, but I haven't heard of one report for overheating.  Keep your room at a comfortable temperature if possible, it is better for all equipment, including yourself.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #4,275 of 5,414
Oh no wasn't for fear of burning the house down. Just trying to reduce the ripple noise rejection.... The fan would be near silent. Just playing around with ideas from electical engineers. See Diyaudio.com. Not for the faint hearted or anyone without a degree In electronics it seems...

One tip I found though with mine, the USB connector was a bit loose when fitting a cable. There are 4 pins 2 top 2 bottom on the square peg in the middle.

You can gently raise them up to give you more pressure on the connector.
Again only out of warranty and if you are confident in doing such things.

Same with the long side pieces. I used fine tweezers..They grip the outside of the connector cable. I practiced on an old cable..

Just enjoy the OPPO a nice piece of design. Do try Caig Deoxit does work..

Have fun..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back