Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Oct 12, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #3,976 of 5,414
Here's how I would hook it up.  

Feeding into HA-1
Vinyl (Not sure how this would work as you can also hook it up to the Sony, since the HA-1 I don't think has a phono preamp)
iMac (or whatever music source you have)

Feeding into Sony Receiver
HA-1 (to keep it simple I'd use the fixed audio bypass on the  HA-1 and have Sony control the volume.  This isn't ideal for SQ but convenient)
movie source (since the HA-1 can't do dolby digital etc)

Sending out of the Sony
Speakers (for now)
Parasound A21 (for the future)
Multiroom source (does it have multiple zones?  you can just hook up speakers then)

With this way you can listen to headphones (HA-1 only)
Listen to music (HA-1 feeding to Sony Receiver)
Watch movies (from Sony)

Option B
Since I see now that you only have a 2.1 channel setup, you could really just use the Sony as an amp (not sure why you want to since it's kinda not my choice).  Just set the sony volume to max (or whatever is no degradation on it) and control the volume from the HA-1.  Then when you get your parasound, move the Sony to your bedroom or whatever and use the parasound as the amp.  The subwoofer should be able to be linked up with either your speakers or HA-1 output, and you can fine tune to balance between the sub and speakers.  
If you want multiroom in this setup, you'd just use a streamer to help you link to your media server.  You don't get the same music in all rooms, but you can have different songs playing LOL.  

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #3,977 of 5,414
  Here's how I would hook it up.  

Feeding into HA-1
Vinyl (Not sure how this would work as you can also hook it up to the Sony, since the HA-1 I don't think has a phono preamp)
iMac (or whatever music source you have)

Feeding into Sony Receiver
HA-1 (to keep it simple I'd use the fixed audio bypass on the  HA-1 and have Sony control the volume.  This isn't ideal for SQ but convenient)
movie source (since the HA-1 can't do dolby digital etc)

Sending out of the Sony
Speakers (for now)
Parasound A21 (for the future)
Multiroom source (does it have multiple zones?  you can just hook up speakers then)

With this way you can listen to headphones (HA-1 only)
Listen to music (HA-1 feeding to Sony Receiver)
Watch movies (from Sony)

Option B
Since I see now that you only have a 2.1 channel setup, you could really just use the Sony as an amp (not sure why you want to since it's kinda not my choice).  Just set the sony volume to max (or whatever is no degradation on it) and control the volume from the HA-1.  Then when you get your parasound, move the Sony to your bedroom or whatever and use the parasound as the amp.  The subwoofer should be able to be linked up with either your speakers or HA-1 output, and you can fine tune to balance between the sub and speakers.  
If you want multiroom in this setup, you'd just use a streamer to help you link to your media server.  You don't get the same music in all rooms, but you can have different songs playing LOL.  

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate you taking time to help me think it out. I guess I left out a few things. 1. The A21 will be in my possession this week, so I think I'm going to set it up at max potential to begin with and then compare with the Sony-only option. I probably have several weeks to make a decision with the A21 as well.

iMac USB, Turntable/Phono (RCA > XLR), Sony RCA pre-out (2.1 bypass) -> HA-1
HA-1 XLR out to Parasound Halo A21
Creative X7 (iMac 5.1 surround) and Apple TV via Optical -> Sony AVR

I've got surround speakers as well, but given that most of my listening has been music, I haven't had those hooked up. I'm going to put them back together for a true 5.1 with the FL and FR feeding to the HA-1 and bypassing. I think this can maximize my HT and audio listening. The vinyl via HA-1 also seems to make the most sense, as I'll otherwise have to listen with my K812's and K7XX's on the Sony. You have to pretty much max out the volume to do that with the K7XX. Less than ideal listening, and it'd be nice to have the vinyl headphone option. If everything input to the HA-1 is balanced at input, the RCA > XLR shouldn't be an issue either. Probably will sound cleaner than direct mode with the Sony AVR, right? That's my hope anyway. We'll see later this week.

Oct 17, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #3,979 of 5,414
i currently own the BDP105D & the PM-1. i intend to get the HA1 in the near future. what's the best way to connect the HA1 to the BDP105D so that I can make use of the balanced connection for the PM1? any suggestions for recommended cables would be appreciated as well, thank you :)

i recently had a chance to listen to the HA1 when i paired it with the Ether (open) headphones, using the balanced connection with DUM cables - i was really impressed with the sound. 

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3,981 of 5,414
i currently own the BDP105D & the PM-1. i intend to get the HA1 in the near future. what's the best way to connect the HA1 to the BDP105D so that I can make use of the balanced connection for the PM1? any suggestions for recommended cables would be appreciated as well, thank you :)

i recently had a chance to listen to the HA1 when i paired it with the Ether (open) headphones, using the balanced connection with DUM cables - i was really impressed with the sound. 

I would suggest using the digital coaxial out from the 105 so that the HA-1 does everything from the internal DAC onward (yes, I know they are the same, but not the same implementation) as this will likely give you the least noise and the best signal chain. Use the 105 as a transport only as the HA-1 is focused entirely on the audio path and the 105 is not.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #3,982 of 5,414
thanks to both of the above posters for your replies. the way that i want to set this up is to leverage on the HA-1 to be both my DAC & Headphone amp. the 105D will be the transport. so i'm leaning towards the balanced XLR in/out as suggested by john57. is my assumption correct?

i admit i am not exactly sure that the coaxial way as suggested by xrelicx will let me get the most out of the balanced headphone connection. please excuse me for my ignorance as i am attempting to do this for the first time. thank you :) 

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #3,983 of 5,414
thanks to both of the above posters for your replies. the way that i want to set this up is to leverage on the HA-1 to be both my DAC & Headphone amp. the 105D will be the transport. so i'm leaning towards the balanced XLR in/out as suggested by john57. is my assumption correct?

i admit i am not exactly sure that the coaxial way as suggested by xrelicx will let me get the most out of the balanced headphone connection. please excuse me for my ignorance as i am attempting to do this for the first time. thank you :) 

No, the balanced input will use the DAC from the 105. You need a digital signal to the HA-1 to use the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) in the HA-1. Balanced out from the 105 is analogue and balanced input on the HA-1 is analogue.

Edit: The ESS9018 chip in the 105 and HA-1 are the same, but the one in the HA-1 is better implemented in the unit for balanced operation and audio reproduction, with a shorter signal path to the balanced analogue stage.

Edit2: You could also use optical from the 105 but I find coaxial to be better. The point is you need to feed a digital signal to the HA-1 to leverage its full capabilities.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #3,984 of 5,414
Hi. Sorry to go off topic but- I took a listen to the ha1 at my local dealer and was blown away. However, I only listen to headphones when I'm out of the house, so I need a portable amp/dac. Can anyone recommend one which rivals the sq from the ha1? I know of the Chord Hugo, but thAt is just too crazy $$$ for me. Has anyone heard the Mojo, and would this fit the bill? Thanks.

Ps I tried the ha3 and while it is very good, I'm wondering if there's anything better.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #3,985 of 5,414
Hi. Sorry to go off topic but- I took a listen to the ha1 at my local dealer and was blown away. However, I only listen to headphones when I'm out of the house, so I need a portable amp/dac. Can anyone recommend one which rivals the sq from the ha1? I know of the Chord Hugo, but thAt is just too crazy $$$ for me. Has anyone heard the Mojo, and would this fit the bill? Thanks.

Ps I tried the ha3 and while it is very good, I'm wondering if there's anything better.

The new Chord Mojo is what you want. Very similar to the Hugo, 1/4 the price. Review with comparisons to the HA-1 in my sig.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,986 of 5,414
The new Chord Mojo is what you want. Very similar to the Hugo, 1/4 the price. Review with comparisons to the HA-1 in my sig.

Hey,

You heard the sparkly effect in the treble on the HA-1 DAC. Did you hear that on the Mojo?

I was thinking of adding a Chord DAC into my system next year. Probably the Qute EX.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #3,987 of 5,414
Hey,

You heard the sparkly effect in the treble on the HA-1 DAC. Did you hear that on the Mojo?

I was thinking of adding a Chord DAC into my system next year. Probably the Qute EX.

It's funny..... Since I first heard the HA-1 I've commented on not hearing the treble 'issues' of the HA-1. Well over time and through experiencing different gear I hear it clearly now. So, with that said, no the Mojo has no issues with the treble. It's clear yet smooth. Very detailed, yet not fatiguing. I've said as much in my review. If just listening to the HA-1 on its own it really is a good piece of kit, but compared to other DACs I've heard it does seem to have some treble quirks. I will say that at it's price and with all it's features I still consider the HA-1 a good unit.

As far as the Qute EX I haven't heard one. The Mojo is remarkable and according to Rob Watts has an extremely similar code in the FPGA as the Hugo, but he stops short of saying it's the exact same. Rob has tuned the Mojo to be a bit smoother than the Hugo. I have some interview questions with Rob in the review. Rob and Chord have said it's in no way inferior though. Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #3,988 of 5,414
Does anyone know where one could purchase a replacement Bluetooth antenna for the HA-1? I bought mine used and it did not come with the antenna. It's not a huge deal as I don't use Bluetooth much, but it sure would be nice to offer friends that use if they come by and want to toss some music on my main listening system.

Oct 22, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #3,989 of 5,414
Does anyone know where one could purchase a replacement Bluetooth antenna for the HA-1? I bought mine used and it did not come with the antenna. It's not a huge deal as I don't use Bluetooth much, but it sure would be nice to offer friends that use if they come by and want to toss some music on my main listening system.

Contact Oppo Digital support. They're very good.

https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx?CatID=1

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #3,990 of 5,414
Hey guys, stupid question but....is there any way to bypass the DAC in the HA-1 and only use the Amp stage? Just wanted to do a quick A/B test with my Modi DAC and my (hopefully soon-ish to arrive) Grace 9XX - just joined the drop 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back