Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #3,781 of 5,414
It may, I don't notice any difference though. The change was definately more pronounced with my old Schiit Ragnarok. 

Could you compare the HA-1 to the Ragnarok please. I'm just curious how it sounds and with the HA-1 as a reference it helps as a baseline for me.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #3,782 of 5,414
Well I was using the Auralic Vega as a DAC also, so comparing a $5k setup with the HA-1 that I picked up for $800 isn't really a fair comparison, but I definately liked the Ragnarok more although I preferred the versatility of the HA-1 and the fact that it was a much cheaper setup for like 80% of the sound quality it was easily the better value for desktop use. The Ragnarok was a beast though, wonderful dynamics, I feel like it was a more analog sound with the Rag/Vega combo than the HA-1, very nice midrange and wonderful taut bass. The HA-1 is a great example of "good enough". For serious listening I plan on getting an endgame amp (probably Studio Six but maybe LAu) to go with the Schiit Yggy I've got but haven't used yet. For casual desktop listening I don't see a need for anything better than the HA-1, and I seriously doubt there's any 1 box units that are better for the price. Though if you are ok with splitting them up and losing a little versatility I would venture to guess a combo like an Arcam irDAC and Cavalli Liquid Carbon would probably give you better sound quality for about the same price - hard to say though until I get the Liquid Carbon hopefully later this month.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #3,783 of 5,414
Well I was using the Auralic Vega as a DAC also, so comparing a $5k setup with the HA-1 that I picked up for $800 isn't really a fair comparison, but I definately liked the Ragnarok more although I preferred the versatility of the HA-1 and the fact that it was a much cheaper setup for like 80% of the sound quality it was easily the better value for desktop use. The Ragnarok was a beast though, wonderful dynamics, I feel like it was a more analog sound with the Rag/Vega combo than the HA-1, very nice midrange and wonderful taut bass. The HA-1 is a great example of "good enough". For serious listening I plan on getting an endgame amp (probably Studio Six but maybe LAu) to go with the Schiit Yggy I've got but haven't used yet. For casual desktop listening I don't see a need for anything better than the HA-1, and I seriously doubt there's any 1 box units that are better for the price. Though if you are ok with splitting them up and losing a little versatility I would venture to guess a combo like an Arcam irDAC and Cavalli Liquid Carbon would probably give you better sound quality for about the same price - hard to say though until I get the Liquid Carbon hopefully later this month.

Thanks. Just curious about the Ragnarok is all. With the LC coming in I was looking at the Audio-GD DAC-19 to pair with it and I might sell the HA-1 or move it as a bedside unit (it'll help with the cool winter nights, lol!). We'll see how it plays out in about a month.

I agree with you about the features for the price and have always been a big fan of my HA-1, but curiosity for different flavours are getting the best of me (and my wallet!)

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #3,784 of 5,414
Thanks. Just curious about the Ragnarok is all. With the LC coming in I was looking at the Audio-GD DAC-19 to pair with it and I might sell the HA-1 or move it as a bedside unit (it'll help with the cool winter nights, lol!). We'll see how it plays out in about a month.

I agree with you about the features for the price and have always been a big fan of my HA-1, but curiosity for different flavours are getting the best of me (and my wallet!)

Yeah I'm curious to hear the Liquid Carbon as well. Still don't think I will keep the LC though even if I prefer it over the HA-1, I'd probably just get the LAu as an endgame amp and leave the HA-1 by my computer since it also works with my Emotiva Airmotiv's as well. Plus it just looks so nice in a computer setup. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #3,785 of 5,414
Just a bit of digital VU Meter action for your enjoyment. This is the best screen setting IMO:

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #3,786 of 5,414
^

You made me get up from my movie and change mine from equaliser to VU. :wink:

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,787 of 5,414
^

You made me get up from my movie and change mine from equaliser to VU. :wink:

Lol! I'm on permanent VU, it's the best IMO for that 'classic' feeling.

Hey Badas, I've just ordered the Audio-GD DAC-19(10th Aniversary) and I'll be comparing it to the HA-1 Sabre DAC. Not a fair comparison as they are pretty much apples and oranges (R2R vs DS) but I ordered it out of curiosity so I'll be reporting here what my impressions are.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #3,788 of 5,414

Hey Badas, I've just ordered the Audio-GD DAC-19(10th Aniversary) and I'll be comparing it to the HA-1 Sabre DAC. Not a fair comparison as they are pretty much apples and oranges (R2R vs DS) but I ordered it out of curiosity so I'll be reporting here what my impressions are.

Right now I'm running the DAC-19 into the HA-1 and it sounds great! I occasionally go back and forth between the DAC-19 and HA-1 DAC to listen for differences, but l tend to use the DAC-19 most of the time.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3,789 of 5,414
I had the Black Dragon and the Hydra Z (both from Audiobyte) here two-three weeks ago. A really great package in sound quality! Unfortunately, the Black Dragon lost much of its magic when connected to the Oppo via analog XLR. Apart of this the HA-1 beats the BD in haptics (WAF!) and convenience. In my dreams I wish the Oppo had the DAC qualities of the BD (plus Hydra Z).

Well, I never really had the intention to sell the Oppo but I am keen on a DAC upgrade (or better: upgrade in sound quality). Especially now after the experience with the BD. The USB-Regen already helps a lot, indeed.
Luckily, someone told me about the HA-1 mod of Gert Volk. He is pretty known in the German tuning scene for his mods (Oppo 105, Linn, Sonos). I will send my HA-1 to him in the next weeks (there is a queue!).

Here is the link to the "G-Oppo HA-1" thread: http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5839

and here translated by Google: https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aktives-hoeren.de%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D39%26t%3D5839&edit-text=&act=url

I hope the G-Oppo HA-1 will stop me looking for other preamp/DACs in the next 1-3 years
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #3,790 of 5,414

Yeah! I wrestle with the displays. Both are nice. That vid made me jump up and change it tho. I should stay on VU as I have tubes and a turn table right next to the Oppo.

I will be very interested in your DAC review.

I've been using the Oppo a fair bit of late. Turn table into Oppo. Vinyl and Class A amps are a heavenly match.

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #3,791 of 5,414
Just a bit of digital VU Meter action for your enjoyment. This is the best screen setting IMO:

Got to agree, that is the best screen of them all :D

Well, its been a few weeks with the HA-1 and it is a beast. I love the versatility as mentioned by others as well, and the sound quality is superb. And the value. I have never been so impressed with a single piece of audio in ages. My review is live on my blog, gavinsgadgets.com , but it pretty much sums up with what most of you are saying. Now if Oppo could make this at 50% smaller in footprint , that would be amazing!

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,792 of 5,414
If they had to cram the hardware in a 50% smaller unit I suspect it wouldn't sound nearly as good as some sacrifices would have to be made. The layout of the HA-1 is very clean and tight as it is.

I mean, just look at that........... :)

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #3,793 of 5,414
That picture is even missing two other circuit boards not shown to show the bottom level of the amp. This is my favorite site that explains the HA-1  layout better than all other sites that I can find.  Use a translator.   http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/07/10/test-oppo-ha-1/

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #3,794 of 5,414
Do you folks think it's safe to put a headphone stand on top of the HA-1?: 

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,795 of 5,414
I did for a while. May create a mark on the top due to sunlight that may hurt resale value but the unit will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back