Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,722 of 5,414
^

Yes great post. Experimentation is the key. Unless you have multiple DACs to play around with you can't tell the difference. The Arcam and Oppo are miles apart. Very different DACs.

No, they are not "miles apart", at least not for my (38-year old) ears. Maybe they are for your much younger ears (or imagination), though :) 

And on a different topic, I got a pair of HD800's a couple of weeks ago, and after the break-in I have to say I enjoy them on the HA-1 quite a bit, especially for jazz and classical music. Not for rock, though... most rock recordings I have tried sound too harsh on the HD800, I definitely prefer my HE-500 here.

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,723 of 5,414

No, they are not "miles apart", at least not for my (38-year old) ears. Maybe they are for your much younger ears (or imagination), though :) 

And on a different topic, I got a pair of HD800's a couple of weeks ago, and after the break-in I have to say I enjoy them on the HA-1 quite a bit, especially for jazz and classical music. Not for rock, though... most rock recordings I have tried sound too harsh on the HD800, I definitely prefer my HE-500 here.

They are miles apart. Did you burn in the Arcam DAC? That thing is a roller coaster ride for the first 80 - 100 hours. It sounds dark at first, then gets harsh for 20-30 hours (sounds like the Oppo). Once you burn it in it sounds miles apart from the Oppo.

It has the same bass as the Oppo, slightly more mid-range, absolutely no cold tint, treble sounds neutral not cold / tinny sounding and most importantly no treble harshness (some call it sparkle).

I now have my rig set up so I can listen to the Oppo HA-1 using it's own DAC and the Arcam DAC at the same time. Just by switching inputs. They are miles apart. Not remotely close.

I have new respect for the HD800. I have listened to a mates modded version. Where they foam the inside to control treble a tad. HD800 sounds absolutely wonderful on my Oppo HA-1 and Woo WA22 like that. It is on my short list of future HP's.

Jul 21, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #3,724 of 5,414

They are miles apart. Did you burn in the Arcam DAC? That thing is a roller coaster ride for the first 80 - 100 hours. It sounds dark at first, then gets harsh for 20-30 hours (sounds like the Oppo). Once you burn it in it sounds miles apart from the Oppo.

It has the same bass as the Oppo, slightly more mid-range, absolutely no cold tint, treble sounds neutral not cold / tinny sounding and most importantly no treble harshness (some call it sparkle).

I now have my rig set up so I can listen to the Oppo HA-1 using it's own DAC and the Arcam DAC at the same time. Just by switching inputs. They are miles apart. Not remotely close.

I have new respect for the HD800. I have listened to a mates modded version. Where they foam the inside to control treble a tad. HD800 sounds absolutely wonderful on my Oppo HA-1 and Woo WA22 like that. It is on my short list of future HP's.

Burning in a DAC? I am sorry, but you lost me right there.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #3,726 of 5,414

Skeptical, or have no idea what 'burning in' a piece of audio equipment means?

Skeptical, of course. It does not exist. How could it? Plenty of tests have shown that the effect of burn-in on purely electronic devices are simply imagination and cannot be measured or be audible. See here, for example: http://archimago.blogspot.de/2014/03/measurements-does-break-in-happen-for.html ... Many manufacturers claim there are burn-ins, but that is bogus, they just want you to get used to your new device without being put off by its different sound compared to the one you're used to.

Next thing somebody claims a cable needs a burn-in, then I'll have my day made, because I'd be laughing very hard. :D

Of course, when active / moving parts come into play, like head phones and speakers, then you do indeed have a burn-in period. 

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3,727 of 5,414
I have read somewhere (Computer Audiophile?) the Direct Stream DAC needs a burn-in time of 800 hours
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #3,731 of 5,414
Skeptical, of course. It does not exist. How could it? Plenty of tests have shown that the effect of burn-in on purely electronic devices are simply imagination and cannot be measured or be audible. See here, for example: http://archimago.blogspot.de/2014/03/measurements-does-break-in-happen-for.html ... Many manufacturers claim there are burn-ins, but that is bogus, they just want you to get used to your new device without being put off by its different sound compared to the one you're used to.

Next thing somebody claims a cable needs a burn-in, then I'll have my day made, because I'd be laughing very hard. :D

Of course, when active / moving parts come into play, like head phones and speakers, then you do indeed have a burn-in period. 

Really?

Jeepers. Just google Arcam irDAC burn in. There is info all over the place. The Arcam was biggest roller coaster ride I have had. I ended up leaving it on for 4 days solid to settle it down. I was considering sending it back to the shop as it was nasty for a fair while. After 4 days it was golden tho.

Generally I would agree with ya. I have not really noticed on other equipment before and I have a lot. I kinda noticed it on the Oppo HA-1 as well and a Oppo engineer said it is possible.

On some equipment it happens.

Cables are bogus tho. I agree on that.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3,732 of 5,414
Really?

Jeepers. Just google Arcam irDAC burn in. There is info all over the place. The Arcam was biggest roller coaster ride I have had. I ended up leaving it on for 4 days solid to settle it down. I was considering sending it back to the shop as it was nasty for a fair while. After 4 days it was golden tho.

Probably other things changed during those 4 days... temperature, air pressure, humidity, your mood, physical condition etc. All factors that can influence sound. Burning in a DAC is bogus. :) I am often wondering what the hell is going on, listening to music I have listened to a thousand times, and it sounds so different than how I remembered it from yesterday (despite components being with me for a long time). The reason is likely not a component magically having changed, but something else. Like me, most likely. Or the surroundings.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #3,733 of 5,414

Probably other things changed during those 4 days... temperature, air pressure, humidity, your mood, physical condition etc. All factors that can influence sound. Burning in a DAC is bogus. :) I am often wondering what the hell is going on, listening to music I have listened to a thousand times, and it sounds so different than how I remembered it from yesterday (despite components being with me for a long time). The reason is likely not a component magically having changed, but something else. Like me, most likely. Or the surroundings.

No. That won't be it. The DAC is known for it.

From being a virgin it is dull and very dark. Almost sounds faulty. An hour later it is bright. Sounds like a HA-1/ HD800 combo. I had to hold the HP's away from my ears. That is the same listening session with the same headphones and same song. My wife noticed it also. So two sets of ears at the same time over 1 hour noticed the change.

Can't do anything but take my word for it. I was not a believer and a skeptic like yourself until this unit. I wasn't even looking for it but heard it. I also had a super experienced mate that rushed over many times during the first week and said it most definitely was changing dramatically. We both looked at the DAC strangely. Weird device. Great in the end.

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #3,734 of 5,414

No. That won't be it. The DAC is known for it.

From being a virgin it is dull and very dark. Almost sounds faulty. An hour later it is bright. Sounds like a HA-1/ HD800 combo. I had to hold the HP's away from my ears. That is the same listening session with the same headphones and same song. My wife noticed it also. So two sets of ears at the same time over 1 hour noticed the change.

Can't do anything but take my word for it. I was not a believer and a skeptic like yourself until this unit. I wasn't even looking for it but heard it. I also had a super experienced mate that rushed over many times during the first week and said it most definitely was changing dramatically. We both looked at the DAC strangely. Weird device. Great in the end.

Well, for me it did not change one bit, it sounded as expected (neutral) from the start. Let's settle this topic and get back to the Oppo HA-1 ... still having issues with the bluetooth, the connection has random hick-ups, no matter what device I try. Pretty annoying.  

I recently swapped out the cable of my HE-500 to a custom-built balanced one. Finally got rid of that crappy silver noise-inducing thing, hurray! Works like a charm on the HA-1, I'm very happy.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #3,735 of 5,414
I'm currently using the Oppo HA-1 with the Oppo PM-2 headphones using the balanced cable too.

Outstanding sound quality so far. If you want or have any questions , please ask. I will be reviewing this combo soon on my website and answering any questions as I can.

Everything has been burnt in for 200 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back