Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #3,707 of 5,414
So when's the front usb port going to be compatible with android?
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3,712 of 5,414
This is a stupid question, but is it OK to leave my 1/4" adapter plugged into the jack all the time? Since the HA-1 doesn't mute the pre outs when the headphone jack is occupied, I can still listen to speakers just fine.

All my other headphone jacks use 3.5mm, so I get tired of digging out the adapter every time I want to plug my headphones into the HA-1. I'm just wondering if there might be any kind of subtle electrical problem or risk of a short by keeping the adapter in the jack all the time and just plugging my 3.5mm into that when I want to listen.

Jul 17, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #3,713 of 5,414
Hey everyone, I'm still kind of a newbie here and I'm looking into upgrading to good a desktop headphone amp/DAC combo. The two that are really standing out to me are the Oppo HA-1 and the Fostex HP-A8C, but I'm having trouble finding comparisons. The Oppo is obviously more expensive but seems to have more extras plus it has a balanced out, which I really like. I've gotten the impression that the DAC/sound is better from the Fostex though...

I listen to all kinds of music. Future headphones will likely include the Audeze EL-8 and the Audioquest Nighthawk. The source will be my laptop, and I plan on using the internal DAC with separate external amps as well as listening through the unit itself, which is why I'm concerned about the DAC. I haven't searched the entire thread, but has anyone heard both? Any impressions on how each sound both as a stand-alone unit, and as a DAC for separate amps? Thanks!   

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #3,715 of 5,414
Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure. I checked with Oppo and they brought up another factor, which is that the headphone amp section is always hot, whether or not you have anything plugged into it. Otherwise, I guess you would want to unplug when only using the pre outs to save energy and avoid unnecessary heat-related wear and tear.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,718 of 5,414
I sent mine back about a month ago. That unit if any of you get it is basically brand new, ran it for about two weeks straight burning in my hd650's. Then opted for the Marrantz and sent the oppo back.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #3,719 of 5,414
I don't see too much discussion about it in reviews, but I just purchased an HA-1 and am using it as a preamp/dac into a McIntosh MC2105, and it's fantastic. Very open and airy sounding, clear and musical. It also makes my Sennheiser HD600's really open up, and that was with the lower-power single ended output. Can't wait to try the balanced output once I find an XLR cable for the Senns.

Sorry for the late reply. I also really enjoyed the HD600 via single-ended through the HA-1 on high gain.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,720 of 5,414
I sent mine back about a month ago. That unit if any of you get it is basically brand new, ran it for about two weeks straight burning in my hd650's. Then opted for the Marrantz and sent the oppo back.

Why did you opt for the marantz and which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back