Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3,616 of 5,414

Thanks for an opinion. Yes, it´s understandable that the integrated headphone out on BDP-105 can hardly compete with HA-1 which is a solid state amp class A in the price range  of 1000-2000 $/€. I haven´t heard BDP-105 (headphone out) yet, but I can imagine that HA-1 will have an edge in power supply, overall dynamics or refinement. But still it should be a decent headphone amp (able to deliver 187 mW into 32 Ohm) for my HE-400i which is quite an efficient headphone for a planar (35 Ohm and 93 db/mW). As far as the headphone amp integrated in BDP 105 can match the performance of solid state head amps within the price range 300-500 $/€, I´m fine with that. 
Thanks for an info. But, are you talking about the DAC or the headphone out ? I would like to ask you or other experienced users which option would bring a better sound quality, if I want to listen digital files (mainly FLACs)  stored in HDD with my active speakers:

Option 1: HDD ⇒Oppo BDP 105 ⇒ Dynaudio Focus 110A
Option 2: HDD ⇒ Laptop Asus N50 VC⇒Oppo HA-1⇒Dynaudio Focus 110A  

I would be grateful for your insights because I am a bit sceptical that a laptop + an external DAC (Oppo HA-1) can match  Oppo BDP-105 as a main source for listening music via speakers.  I am especially doubtful that a  laptop with Foobar + HA-1 combo would match or even exceed a direct playback of DSD/DSF files  (SACDs) via BDP-105...

I have only thus far used the HA-1 with my Kef LS50 speakers.  I have used the Oppo 105 in my living room system for a few years.  I feel that they have the same sonic signature but there is a touch more detail with the HA-1.  

Jun 9, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,617 of 5,414
  Loaded question.
Im pretty sure the HA-1 will kill the blueray player every day. The balanced outs just make it so much better.

He is also asking about using the HA-1 with speakers. The HA-1 does not kill the Oppo 105 in any way when using it in a speaker system setup.  

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3,618 of 5,414
No worries Golden, just keeping it straight. I agree on the looks of it. I'm also in money's position wanting to test more gear.

Yeah, I'm the same way I've got the HA-1 with the Carbon on order, looking to try tubes next (probably ALO Audio Studio Six), just sold my Ragnarok too. Helps to give you a good baseline when you are able to try a bunch of different gear. So far the HA-1 has been one of the best values I've yet experienced.

Just joined the LC club. Gonna test with HA-1 XLR out to LC. Can't wait............ Well, I have to wait.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,619 of 5,414
Congrats, Relic, I plan on trying the same thing. Wondering if something like the Liquid Carbon & an Arcam irDAC might give me better results than the HA-1. But I really like the all-in-one beauty of the HA-1 too, don't think it will be going away unless the LC just blows me away.

Jun 10, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #3,620 of 5,414
  Thank you very much for your insight and impressions ! Happy listening ! I will probably buy Oppo HA-1 at some point in the future. But at first I would like to add Oppo BDP-105 to my rig.
It´s a great source, DAC and it (supposedly) has also a very good headphone amp, which I hope to be sufficiently powerful to drive my moderately sensitive HE-400i headphones.

As others have said, the HA-1 really is a better headphone amp than the 105.
However as you have said in another post as well, the headphone out the 105 is no slouch at all. It's actually quite good,
but just not as good as the HA-1.
You have other obvious differences between the 2 devices, but based on the just the single-ended headphone output,
again the 105 is very capable with most headphones.
The main issue you may have is if you have cans that require a very powerful amp, then the 105 may not have enough to drive them to their potential,
but it should do fine with most headphones.
Also as you say, a great DAC too.

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #3,621 of 5,414
It is hard to gauge anything based on reviews and others thoughts as most are biased.

I have read in the audio gd threads that there are people that feel that the gd amp(s) in their combo unit is better than flagship Cavalli amps.

I have also read that of those that have the oppo and have heard gd products that the oppos amp is better.

I have also read that the LC is close but doesn't sound as good as its flagship brethren.

If we were to take all these different views as truths then the oppos amp exceeds Cavalli flagships amps and also the upcoming LC.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #3,622 of 5,414
^^ We'll find out at the end of August won't we? I purchased one out of curiosity and if the HA-1 amp section is better (I love it by the way) then the LC will be at my bedside.

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #3,624 of 5,414

I have only thus far used the HA-1 with my Kef LS50 speakers.  I have used the Oppo 105 in my living room system for a few years.  I feel that they have the same sonic signature but there is a touch more detail with the HA-1.  

As others have said, the HA-1 really is a better headphone amp than the 105.
However as you have said in another post as well, the headphone out the 105 is no slouch at all. It's actually quite good,
but just not as good as the HA-1.
You have other obvious differences between the 2 devices, but based on the just the single-ended headphone output,
again the 105 is very capable with most headphones.
The main issue you may have is if you have cans that require a very powerful amp, then the 105 may not have enough to drive them to their potential,
but it should do fine with most headphones.
Also as you say, a great DAC too.

Thanks guys for your impressions, I will try to compare both rigs during the summer if possible and then I will decide what to buy first. 

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #3,625 of 5,414
  I have an old converted Croft,solid Granite walls,so fantastic sound,and no property near me.I might try my Shure 846 with the HA 1. It would seem to have so many uses so looking forward to trying different ways to use it.

if by any chance you're still checking head-fi, did you use your shures with the ha-1?  i tried it, but get an electrical hum through them, wondering if that was normal/expected.  not that important, as it'd be by exception that i'd use that combo.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3,628 of 5,414
Anyone using the USB Regen from UpTone Audio? It arrived here yesterday and all I can say is whoa! It makes the Oppo to a "better DAC" lol
After I sold my Auralic Aries I missed some "sound quality". A Raspberry Pi 2 with the piCorePlayer and a CuBox with Triode's SoA running LMS replaced the Aries. The Regen Amber helps me to get back the sq of the Aries and to be honest, I think (when my memory doesn't play with me) the sq is even better now than with the Aries.. lol
Really amazing this. I use the recommended Supra USB cable between Raspberry and Regen.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,629 of 5,414
  Anyone using the USB Regen from UpTone Audio? It arrived here yesterday and all I can say is whoa! It makes the Oppo to a "better DAC" lol
After I sold my Auralic Aries I missed some "sound quality". A Raspberry Pi 2 with the piCorePlayer and a CuBox with Triode's SoA running LMS replaced the Aries. The Regen Amber helps me to get back the sq of the Aries and to be honest, I think (when my memory doesn't play with me) the sq is even better now than with the Aries.. lol
Really amazing this. I use the recommended Supra USB cable between Raspberry and Regen.

USB Regen is a great idea. Since I have a dedicated Windows audio PC, I use the SOTM USB card connected to the HA-1 via a Cabledyne silver USB cable. The sound is far more "analog" in nature compared to the Motherboard USB port. My PC also uses a Linear power supply which also helps rid the sound of grain. I play FLAC and AIFF files directly on a non-OS SSD drive using J.River 20, ASIO.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,630 of 5,414
USB Regen is a great idea. Since I have a dedicated Windows audio PC, I use the SOTM USB card connected to the HA-1 via a Cabledyne silver USB cable. The sound is far more "analog" in nature compared to the Motherboard USB port. My PC also uses a Linear power supply which also helps rid the sound of grain. I play FLAC and AIFF files directly on a non-OS SSD drive using J.River 20, ASIO.

I am interested in getting a device to clean up the USB signal. What do you think about the ifi purifier or should I go with a regen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back