Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3,361 of 5,414
Couple questions to HA-1 owners:

• When you turn it on/off, or switch inputs, do you hear a slight 'pop' sound in the right channel?  I'm connected via the 4pin XLR if that matters.  When I switch inputs and the relays click, I notice a slight pop in the right channel
  • When you plug in to the 4pin XLR, is it a solid connection once it is in all the way?  Or do you have a slight bit of play if you were to pull it back out some.  On mine, once I plug it in all the way until it clicks, I can pull and it will move slightly.  The headphones don't cut out but I want to make sure that this is normal and it shouldn't be completely solid.

I hope those two things make sense.  Both minor but since this is an expensive unit, I want to make sure everything is 100%

Thanks

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #3,362 of 5,414
  I still don't like the squirrely volume display when using the remote. When I hold down the button at 9' o'clock, the display jumps back and forth between 11, 12, and 1 o'clock and then smooths out past 2 o'clock. I see this on HA-1 builds of May, August, and September 2014. My old Creek preamp with the Alps motorized pot was smoother. Seems like this problem can be corrected.

Plus if you don't even touch the volume for 10 minutes it flicks on and off. I find it really annoying. Recently it did that 9 times in 1 hour and I didn't touch it manually or via remote.

Is there anyway to turn the volume graphic off? Useless info anyway. My ears set the volume.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #3,363 of 5,414
Couple questions to HA-1 owners:

1. When you turn it on/off, or switch inputs, do you hear a slight 'pop' sound in the right channel?  I'm connected via the 4pin XLR if that matters.  When I switch inputs and the relays click, I notice a slight pop in the right channel
  2. When you plug in to the 4pin XLR, is it a solid connection once it is in all the way?  Or do you have a slight bit of play if you were to pull it back out some.  On mine, once I plug it in all the way until it clicks, I can pull and it will move slightly.  The headphones don't cut out but I want to make sure that this is normal and it shouldn't be completely solid.

I hope those two things make sense.  Both minor but since this is an expensive unit, I want to make sure everything is 100%

Thanks

I asked Oppo about this about a year ago and they told me that the play is there as a benefit to help reduce stress of inserting and removing the jack, as opposed to a fixed immovable connection.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #3,365 of 5,414
  Yes, the volume display pops up randomly even when I have the brightness set to off. Seems like a firmware update could fix this anomaly.

I wish they would. This is not like Oppo. Usually they issue firmware update regularly to fix bugs and this product has a few of them.

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,367 of 5,414
  If the unit thinks that there is a change in volume the volume display will come up regardless of the brightness setting.  Sounds like it is between steps.

The steps are too close and too touchy.

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #3,368 of 5,414

Plus if you don't even touch the volume for 10 minutes it flicks on and off. I find it really annoying. Recently it did that 9 times in 1 hour and I didn't touch it manually or via remote.

This hasn't happened to me a single time and I keep the volume at the same setting for hours on end.

I agree that the volume steps can be a bit too touchy below a certain dB level, however.

On another note, i'm absolutely loving this unit so far and in my opinion, the HD 800s sound superb out of this thing. I will say that my preference in terms of sound is towards neutral. I know a lot of people on Head-Fi steer towards a more colored sound (explains why many certain types of vacuum tube amps are so popular here,) so I can understand why some aren't fans of the combination. To me, it sounds very natural and accurate without being sterile...and I can listen for hours on end without any fatigue whatsoever.

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #3,369 of 5,414
I asked Oppo about this about a year ago and they told me that the play is there as a benefit to help reduce stress of inserting and removing the jack, as opposed to a fixed immovable connection.

Thanks Relic.  So that appears to be normal.

Any thoughts on my other question about the noise when switching inputs?  It isn't loud enough to do damage but there is definitely a noise when the relay clicks back on.

I can send it in for an exchange but I'd rather not go through the hassle if this is normal.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,370 of 5,414
Thanks Relic.  So that appears to be normal.

Any thoughts on my other question about the noise when switching inputs?  It isn't loud enough to do damage but there is definitely a noise when the relay clicks back on.

I can send it in for an exchange but I'd rather not go through the hassle if this is normal.

I don't remember a pop in a single driver, maybe a slight one in both drivers. I can't remember and my HA-1 is unplugged at the moment and put in a corner while I revamp my office so I can't check for you. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,371 of 5,414

Is there anyway to turn the volume graphic off? Useless info anyway. My ears set the volume.

I've never seen this either, perhaps your unit is glitchy or reapply the firmware.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #3,372 of 5,414
To actually clarify my point, it does seem like the sound is coming out of both channels, just the right is more noticeable.

If connect to the 6.3mm jack, the left side is more noticeable as opposed to the right.

And it pops twice with the clicks.  So when the muting relay engages and then when it disengages.

I'm guessing this is normal but hope someone else can chime in to confirm.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #3,373 of 5,414

This hasn't happened to me a single time and I keep the volume at the same setting for hours on end.

I agree that the volume steps can be a bit too touchy below a certain dB level, however.

On another note, i'm absolutely loving this unit so far and in my opinion, the HD 800s sound superb out of this thing. I will say that my preference in terms of sound is towards neutral. I know a lot of people on Head-Fi steer towards a more colored sound (explains why many certain types of vacuum tube amps are so popular here,) so I can understand why some aren't fans of the combination. To me, it sounds very natural and accurate without being sterile...and I can listen for hours on end without any fatigue whatsoever.

This is good info, my next (hopefully last major spend) will be some "end game" open headphones. The HD800s were recently on sale at a local Canadian online retailer for $1199 cad and I just about bit, but I was hesitant based on comments I've read regarding the 800s + ESS9018 + SS amplification. I'm happy with my alpha dogs and HA-1 but my set-up will be complete once I have a set of TOTL open cans. I figure I'll make it out to a meet and audition some headphones before my next/last purchase!

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #3,374 of 5,414
My biggest gripe is why on earth they stopped the spectrum analyzer at 100Hz

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #3,375 of 5,414
I've never seen this either, perhaps your unit is glitchy or reapply the firmware.

I think it is common. My mates does it as well. Also a local shops.

If you have it around 3/4's volume. Around the 0db posistion it turns on and off. It can sometimes behave. Then other times the volume display turns on and off without touching. I noticed it sometimes says 0db, then +0.5db, back to 0db, then -0.5db and so on. The sensitivity is too touchy. It doesn't need to be. Sometimes it will do it twice in a minute, then settle for twenty minutes or so and start again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back