Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #3,331 of 5,414
Yesterday two of my friends and me tested OPPO HA-1 with LCD-3, XC, HD800 and PM1. I used Sugden HA-4 as an amp and Yulong DA8 as a DAC. I was pretty happy with LCD-XC sounding. But when we connected OPPO HA-1 by XLR balanced interconnect to Sugden - we got the sound of heaven! Closed XC finally gave me what I wanted - stage, air, rich juice mids. Now I listen music, not frequency.

OPPO built-in amp did not impress us comparing to Sugden. But it was good with PM-1 and owner of Fostex TH-900 (modded one) told us that it is good combo.

Concerning other headphones connected to OPPO sounds poor. With Sugden - LCD-3 is great! HD800 much better, but still very synthetic in highs and not full of bass. 

I will continue listen everything looking for better, but now I would call my system: 

Transport - Mac mini with Windows bootcamp and Foobar (Android remote control)
DAC - OPPO HA-1 DAC
Amp - Sugden HA-4
Headphones - Audeze LCD-XC 

perfect or even reference :)

PS DSD music got new sense for me with OPPO DAC! 

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #3,332 of 5,414

Ah, glad to know I'm not the only one. It's funny, because only one review I read of the Oppo HA-1 mentioned it was rather bright. I'll look into the Arcam irDAC. I'm wondering if there's a better all-in-one desktop DAC/amp that wouldn't be as harsh as I'd like to keep a single unit.

Yeah. In my case the Arcam DAC really didn't impact on space as it just sits nicely under my Arcam iPod Dock.

Here is a pic of it. I don't like posting pics in here as I got told off, however this is a older pic and has been published before.
The plastic box with the light on under the iPod Dock is the Arcam DAC. It also runs cold and has no venting so it could be installed out of sight.

The Arcam / Oppo combo is very tube sounding. Actually the Woo pictured beside it only ever so slightly sounds better. On some music the Oppo has the edge. I could easily just live with the Arcam / Oppo combo.

Nice! Are these custom made bases underneath your Oppo and Arcam?

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,336 of 5,414
Has anyone of you HA-1 users ever tested the AES/EBU input? My coax and optical inputs work fine, XLR digital input seems to not working... Anyone else who has problems with AES/EBU? According to Oppo support, XLR digital input accepts the same data format as coaxial input... Any help is highly appreciated, thank you!

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #3,337 of 5,414
Has anyone of you HA-1 users ever tested the AES/EBU input? My coax and optical inputs work fine, XLR digital input seems to not working... Anyone else who has problems with AES/EBU? According to Oppo support, XLR digital input accepts the same data format as coaxial input... Any help is highly appreciated, thank you!

Your post seems a little unclear.. You're asking if we've used/tested the AES/EBU input, but say it's your XLR input that's not working? 
Anyway, just wanted to add this from the manual in case it ends up being pertinent: "The Coaxial, Optical and AES/EBU Digital Audio Inputs accept stereo PCM signals only. Compressed audio signals such as Dolby Digital or DTS are not supported."

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,338 of 5,414

Those look like Oppo's own bases that I know they were thinking of manufacturing, but I'm not certain. I'll let the owner respond. 

Correct. These are Oppo's own stand for the HA-1. They went on sale 6 months ago on limited release.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,339 of 5,414
Sorry about the confusion I may have caused! I really mean the digital AES/EBU input. I just name the big 3-pin connectors XLR. But I did NOT mean the analog inputs. I tested with the same digital signal on coax input and AES/EBU input, using an appropriate cable and a Behringer SRC 2496, that works fine when connected to a Tascam mixing console.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #3,340 of 5,414

Those look like Oppo's own bases that I know they were thinking of manufacturing, but I'm not certain. I'll let the owner respond. 

Correct. These are Oppo's own stand for the HA-1. They went on sale 6 months ago on limited release.

that's awesome man, they are really cool looking. I assume thats a glass shelf suspended by the 4 stainless steel/chrome poles. It's cool that you are using Audeze headphones, they play so well with the Oppo. Cheers man.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,342 of 5,414

I was using the AES/EBU input when I had the Auralic Aries. I had posted some pics here http://www.head-fi.org/t/717834/oppo-ha-1-impressions-thread/1680#post_10870460
Without any problems. And yes this AES/EBU is called XLR digital afaik.

Apr 11, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #3,344 of 5,414
SSKOM or anyone, how do you connect the DAC to an external headphone AMP (eg. Sugden) for the best effect? Via the analogue out in the back with theatre bypass or variable, or via the headphone out at the front? Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back